Anyone Going to Sunstone Europe 2019 in London?

Meadowchik

Hiya! It just so happens that Sunstone Europe is an easy train ride from where we're now living, so I get to go! I am excited to go listen and interact with people from the Mormon background and perspective. For those of you interested, here's the theme for this year's two-day conference in London:

The Sunstone London 2019 conference focuses on the tensions between authority and founding stories of Latter Day Saintism, and the quest for personal, ethical, intellectual integrity and spiritual wholeness.

A person’s initial orientation in the Latter Day Saint movement often begins with hearing stories about the founding prophet, the miraculous coming forth of the Restoration movement, restored priesthood authority, and continuing prophetic leadership.  Initially, this may be sufficient for faith and active participation in the church. But then questions arise. There may be disorientation and confusion, for example about the Book of Mormon (history or inspired fiction), equality (patriarchy, race, LGBT, child protection at church events), and priesthood (heterosexual men only, or inclusion of all).  Reorientation is navigating these questions with integrity finding either a deeper faith, or possibly abandoning the movement.

Mormonism is a vibrant religious tradition with a diverse membership that has widely differing needs. For many Latter-day Saints, one of these needs is free and frank exploration of doctrinal, historical, and theological topics as they relate to the complexities of today’s society. This symposium seeks to bring people together from a broad range of religious traditions, including those whose interest is purely academic, and those who find great comfort in being able to read, hear, and share personal faith journeys, including all their twists and turns and occasional uncertainties. https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/london-2019/

I hope to be able to report back after the conference on September 7th and 8th. Anyone else, please feel free to do the same!

2 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

Hiya! It just so happens that Sunstone Europe is an easy train ride from where we're now living, so I get to go! I am excited to go listen and interact with people from the Mormon background and perspective. For those of you interested, here's the theme for this year's two-day conference in London:

I hope to be able to report back after the conference on September 7th and 8th. Anyone else, please feel free to do the same!

Lucky you!! And you live nearby, double lucky you! 

On 8/24/2019 at 2:38 PM, Meadowchik said:

Interesting! I don't know whether I'd like to attend any kind of Sunstone thing, but it turns out that I am also now living an easy train ride from where this is happening.  Unfortunately, I'll be back in the States for three weeks starting September 4, so I can't go in any case.  

9 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Interesting! I don't know whether I'd like to attend any kind of Sunstone thing, but it turns out that I am also now living an easy train ride from where this is happening.  Unfortunately, I'll be back in the States for three weeks starting September 4, so I can't go in any case.  

West Sussex, eh? Well, if you go to the water and turn left, following the coast for several hundred miles, you'd be able to see our house from the Firth of Forth! I clicked on your Youtube link, it's great that you've captured adventures to share! Our most recent jaunt took us over to Belfast and also a tour up through to the Giant's Causeway. The Titanic Experience (a historical presentation) was amazing!