The Nehor Posted August 6, 2017 Posted August 6, 2017 On 8/3/2017 at 10:55 AM, Maidservant said: Just now read a beautiful quote by Richard Rohr (Franciscan Friar): "Pain is physical discomfort, but suffering comes from our resistance, denial, and sense of injustice or wrongness about that pain. Pain is the rent we pay for being human, some say; but suffering is usually optional. " I find little comfort in that quote. If I were a Buddhist I might. If I could kill desire and my sense of justice and my need to make sense of the world I would probably be much more content. I think I would lose more than I would gain in the process.
The Nehor Posted August 6, 2017 Posted August 6, 2017 The Doctrine and Covenants scripture suggesting that God is only offended with those who do not acknowledge His hand in all things has been in my mind lately. It does not limit that acknowledgement to only what we would call the good things and that was probably intentional. God cannot dodge responsibility for what happens here. He has the power to stop it and does not. I was in court this week where the judge had to make a ruling on whether a parent was fit to have her children back. The thought crossed my mind that God would fail if put before an earthly court for his treatment of his children. He knowingly allows them to be cared for by people he knows will allow terrible things to happen to them and sometimes even do those terrible things to them. Not only that God has the power to stop these horrible things from happening but does not. I have had most advantages in life. I was raised by parents that love me, have good friends, have brothers and sisters I love and who love me, have good employment, make good money, and have pretty good health. I would still say my life has had more unhappiness then happiness. Everyone has to cope with broken hearts, lost dreams, ruined opportunities, personal betrayals, unfulfilled desires, and more. Faith in God is not faith in things turning out well in this life or being free from uncertainty, anxiety, doubt, and pain. Some have suggested that God is not going to repair all the damage inflicted on us by this life. I can say that if God is that callous to leave such wounds and suffering unhealed I will spit at Him at the Judgement Bar. I believe in a loving God. I believe this world is a lonely, dreary, difficult place. I have faith that the glories awaiting all but Perdition will be worth it all and that all this suffering and pain is worth it. At least I do most days. My nephew was born today. He is adorable and I already love him deeply and am very happy. However I am also beginning to better understand that we would probably be more correct to celebrate at funerals and mourn at births. The little guy probably has a tough life ahead of him with a lot of pain and tribulation as it seems everyone does. 2
Maidservant Posted August 6, 2017 Posted August 6, 2017 43 minutes ago, The Nehor said: I find little comfort in that quote. If I were a Buddhist I might. If I could kill desire and my sense of justice and my need to make sense of the world I would probably be much more content. I think I would lose more than I would gain in the process. Okay :). I guess it just describes my experience of life in where I had to settle into the pain and let it come over me as it wanted to, over and over again, instead of continuing to insist to the universe that I should have no pain before I judged that everything is "all right". (=suffering). But I can understand if that is not others' experience.
Calm Posted August 6, 2017 Posted August 6, 2017 9 minutes ago, Maidservant said: Okay :). I guess it just describes my experience of life in where I had to settle into the pain and let it come over me as it wanted to, over and over again, instead of continuing to insist to the universe that I should have no pain before I judged that everything is "all right". (=suffering). But I can understand if that is not others' experience. I think it is different to say it about oneself than to be able to say it about others. My suffering has made me who I am as much as my joy, there are some things I don't like too much in my life, but I am okay with the me of me and I don't particularly think I would have been a better person if things were easier even if I could have accomplished many more good things. So I can say for myself most days the suffering is acceptable, but I can't feel the pain and suffering of others to know if they feel the same. For all I know they may hate who they have become. It becomes a matter of trust in the Lord as Nehor says..that everything will be healed and it will somehow be worth it. 1
The Nehor Posted August 6, 2017 Posted August 6, 2017 1 hour ago, Maidservant said: Okay :). I guess it just describes my experience of life in where I had to settle into the pain and let it come over me as it wanted to, over and over again, instead of continuing to insist to the universe that I should have no pain before I judged that everything is "all right". (=suffering). But I can understand if that is not others' experience. You might also just be a better person. I tend to be more of a 'Rage against the Dying of the Light' kind of person that is not very accepting. I like to think it is my Norse heritage. Anyways, I am off to die gloriously in Ragnarok as the world burns. Sorry if my words offended.
Stargazer Posted August 6, 2017 Posted August 6, 2017 On 8/2/2017 at 10:22 AM, changed said: That God has "God has privileged certain groups over others" is not merely an LDS issue, it is a Christian issues. The Bible is full of accounts of the "chosen" people ... (and those who through no fault of their own - are not chosen" what do you think the final resting place will be for those who choose to leave over such issues? 1 God's "chosen people" seem not to have gotten any real worldly privileges due to their status -- aside from having whatever dispensation of the Gospel might have been on offer at the time, and an opportunity to royally screw up as a result. And having screwed up, they got scattered and destroyed. And those not chosen will not be judged according to the whole law, but according to how well they kept whatever law they were given. The Lord made that very clear. Ultimately, we will all reap the reward for our faithfulness to what we were given. Whether we were of a chosen lineage, or not. And those who have shown themselves worthy, through their faithfulness, will be exalted. Regardless of whatever "privileges" they had while in mortality. And where much is given, much is expected. As for those who choose to leave because life isn't fair, well, I'm certainly not their judge, but will they be worthy of exaltation? 1
Maidservant Posted August 6, 2017 Posted August 6, 2017 11 hours ago, The Nehor said: You might also just be a better person. I tend to be more of a 'Rage against the Dying of the Light' kind of person that is not very accepting. I like to think it is my Norse heritage. Anyways, I am off to die gloriously in Ragnarok as the world burns. Sorry if my words offended. No worries. I have a great deal of respect for you. I hear you. I keep believing I'm going to fix the whole darn world, and I insist on continuing to go down that road, less because of what I think I may accomplish (I haven't much!), and more because that's who I am and I would be ashamed of myself if I didn't at least try. But I've tried to balance that perspective with "Love what arises" (Wirthlin). Or I've been forced to that perspective, just so I don't drown in despair. And I've lived long enough to see much healing in my life, and I know for myself that I didn't do all that by myself: I had help from my loved ones on both sides of the veil and from the grace of Christ. I can only count on more of that for the rest of my life and into my eternities. It's not a theory to me, it's my experience. I trust that you have come by your wisdom on the same basis. 1
Recommended Posts