Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Great MoTab concert last night


Recommended Posts

Posted

I want to go to this, I really like Alex, I didn't before when I first heard him, but he grew on me. I love that he'll try many things and isn't real structured. Just can't get my husband to go, I may go alone. I've never been to these...possibly my husband's fault? ;) Thanks for bringing it to my attention! 

Posted
4 hours ago, HiJolly said:

Tonight's live performance will include a special guest conductor. It's a surprise! 

is it not Pee Wee Herman? I'd pay to see that then!

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Great concert by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square lat night.

Beyond just the amazing experience / messages....

1. ...Alex provided a very clear hint of something....that I believe will lead to something very meaningful to someone very important to me.

2. And the ending, the passing off the baton...was beyond kewl. A class act.  Completely loved it.

Thank you *very* much for the timely heads up.

I otherwise would have missed not only the experience, and the great pioneer and other messages, but the key important thing Ireally needed to learn from Alex tonight.

If you occasionally bump into one of the other guys around there that shares your given name, the one who snapped the front-page photo for bridgebuilding, please razz him a wee bit for me. A good man. There was a time when his son and mine were let's-ignore-the-soccerball-competition-and-just-dance-in-the-middle-of-the-field friends. If you bump into him, tell him some stranger suggested he please continue teaching his son to keep his eye off the ball. Makes the world a wee bit brighterr / more joyful. ;0)

Edited by hagoth7
Posted
11 hours ago, HiJolly said:

Tonight's live performance will include a special guest conductor. It's a surprise! 

I didn't go tonight. 

And the Internet stream/broadcast appeared to be just a rerun of last night's performance. 

So can you tell us now who the surprise guest conductor was?

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

...can you tell us now who the surprise guest conductor was?

unnamed.jpg

(the governor of Utah, for those who aren't in the area or don't bother with politics)

Or is this thread now shut down because it just got political? ;0)

Edited by hagoth7
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hagoth7 said:

unnamed.jpg

(the governor of Utah, for those who aren't in the area or don't bother with politics)

Or is this thread now shut down because it just got political? ;0)

Not the first time a MoTab thread on this board got political. Remember last January, the occasion of the Trump inauguration? 

Does anybody here even remember that lady's name today? (Without looking it up, I mean.) I guess 15 minutes of fame really is ethereal. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Not the first time a MoTab thread on this board got political. 

? That was meant in jest. If you don't appreciate wry/rye bread, so be it. (It's an acquired taste....and even then, doesn't suit everyone.)

(The post was neither partisan nor political.)

I wish you well Scott.

17 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Remember last January, the occasion of the Trump inauguration? 

Does anybody here even remember that lady's name today? I guess 15 minutes of fame really is ethereal. 

I'd be surprised if she cares one wit about fame, fleeting or otherwise.

Edited by hagoth7
Posted
8 minutes ago, hagoth7 said:

? That was meant in jest. If you don't appreciate wry/rye bread, so be it. (It's an acquired taste....and even then, doesn't suit everyone.)

(The post was neither partisan nor political.)I

I know very well it was meant in jest. I don't know why you would think otherwise.

My rejoinder was meant in jest as well. 

Quote

I'd be surprised if she cares one wit about fame, fleeting or otherwise.

Well, she made sure her resignation letter got plenty of exposure.

Why would you be surprised? Do you know her?

 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I know very well it was meant in jest. I don't know why you would think otherwise.

My rejoinder was meant in jest as well. 

Thank you very much for clarifying. I needed that. 

36 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Well, she made sure her resignation letter got plenty of exposure.

Why would you be surprised?

Wanting a message/point to get exposure...and personally wanting fame aren't the same thing.

Not even close.

 

I'd be surprised because relatively few people really want fame. Most reallize it's an illusion.

Most of the people I know simply want peace and love and a modest quiver of loved ones.

And most people who sacrifice their time to serve in a choir like that, month after month, year after year,  aren't looking for the spotlight..or they wouldn't have bothered to be one of many faces in a choir. They're instead looking/hoping to share something worthwhile. Something that might touch/change a heart or two.

36 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Do you know her?

 I'll let you or anyone else answer that question.

Feel free to ask those who any reasonable person might expect to know her best. And ask them whose assessment of her in this thread offered a more acurate assessment of who she really is and what really drives her. And editing nothing out, feel free to return and report. Or not. Your choice.

Edited by hagoth7
Posted
1 minute ago, hagoth7 said:

Wanting a message/point to get exposure...and personally wanting fame aren't the same thing.

Not even close.

To illustrate, one could assert that journalists want nothing but fame. 

They work all day just to get their article in print, often with their name affixed to it. Clearly a matter of pride. 

Mebbe even the occasional pic of their own mug there for all to see. Gasp! The height of hubris.

 

But appearances can be *and often are* deceiving.  

 

As most of us know, including you, *WHAT* someone does tells us almost nothing.

*WHY* someone does something **begins** to give us a glimpse of their soul. *That* is where rubber-hits-the-road stories really begin, and where they are generally more helpful to an insightful audience (the typical reader.)

 

Events'-only distortion: Take someone who's never heard of Nephi, and who is a staunch believer in the 10 commandments  and in the 2 core laws of the NT, and then frame the interaction between what happened between Nephi and Laban in visuals only. That would paint a very stark, condemnatory (and inaccurate) picture.

Or, instead, allow a witness a birdseye view of what happened under the hood with Nephi - before, during, and long after the event...the superior position lthat 1 Nephi actually provides us, explaining what really transpired...and it tells a completely 180-degree different story. (Truth.) 

And then weave in a wee bit of commentary of the culture of the time so we better appreciate  *part* of what was at stake...the genuine danger Neph's famly faced had he *not* acted. (Laban's ego unchecked/unconverted *would have* had them hunted down.) Precisely what happened with Lehi's contemporary Urijah. Urijah fled to a distant land...but the king still sent after him to have him silenced for good. (Similar to Tyndale.)  Which helps the reader beging to understand that Nephi and Lehi turly were prophets, and when they said people sought Lehi's life...it wasn't hyperbole  Dawning conviction...for the reader...(of the good kind.)  

Phase 3 of how important it was for that party to survive..and the reader then moves beyond appreciating prophets...and begins to understand God's mercy and wisdom across the sweep of history...reaching through millennia of time...in order to reach/help *them.*  And hearts begin to soften.

 

The first rendition of Nephi (visuals - brief sound byte) would have been so distorted that it *would* be bearing false witness.

The latter? A wee bit of justice, compassion, and mercy. A glimpse of how deeply mankind is loved, and the price paid again and again by God, His Son, and their troubadours throughout time. Something readers need more of, IMNSHO.

 

God doesn't judge on appearances, but on the heart. We're all bessed served to follow suit.

 

That's the why.

But you likely already know it..

Posted (edited)

I will concede the very real possibility that her behavior was driven not by a desire for fame, but rather by political fervor and an intent to get a political message out as widely as possible.

That said, I very much disapprove of her using her membership in the choir -- and her resignation therefrom -- as a platform for making a public political statement. I believe she could have kept her integrity intact by quietly declining to participate in the inauguration performance. I think her actions made the choir -- and the Church -- the target of brickbats from political partisans, hostile critics and news media looking for a sensational story. That's not OK with me.

But I already made my view clear last January, and I see no reason to revisit it at length now.

 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I will concede the very real possibility that her behavior was driven not by a desire for fame, but rather by political fervor and an intent to get a political message out as widely as possible.

Thank you. Very much.

5 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

That said, I very much disapprove of her using her membership in the choir -- and her resignation therefrom -- as a platform for making a public political statement. I believe she could have kept her integrity intact by quietly declining to participate in the inauguration performance. I think her actions made the choir -- and the Church -- the target of brickbats from political partisans, hostile critics and news media looking for a sensational story. That's not OK with me.

I think her point exercises the muscle that people of any religious stripe can step out and voice what they deem important in the political arena. I don't *want* a methodist/jew/mormon/muslim to have to disavow being part of their culture before speaking his/her mind. To me, their very being a methodist (or whatever they happen to be) adds texture and meaning and substance to what they're saying they wish for America...in the context of reiterating that we *ARE* an awesome melting pot. (pot stirrer, pot stirrer) 

Ditto with the BYU prof who withdrew from the school associated with his conclusions/findings about 9/11. Zero need to disavow being LDS. And I believe adds veracity to the diversity within the LDS community, and its political zest, that one *can* and should speak one's mind. And weigh in, in the political arena. As equally as anyone else. Loud and proud.

Or, as Alex sang last night, roar like a lion.

But hey, I'm just a guest in the land of the free, so what do I know about such things...

Thoughts?

Edited by hagoth7
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, hagoth7 said:

I think her point exercises the muscle that people of any religious stripe can step out and voice what they deem important in the political arena.... 

Ditto with the BYU prof who withdrew from the school associated with his conclusions/findings about 9/11. Zero need to disavow being LDS. And I believe adds veracity to the diversity within the LDS community, and its political zest, that one *can* and should speak one's mind. And weigh in, in the political arena. As equally as anyone else. Loud and proud...

Which, unless I'm mistaken, is the essence of the plea read from every pulpit in America during election season...issued by the Brethren. 

You may not appreciate my riff on it, but such use of one's temporary megaphone to get one's view out aligns with what people are in essence to do...let their voice be heard. Wade in.  We don't need to be smaller than we are just because we *were* in a choir or *were* a college prof. I believe it was Nelson Mandela who said something pretty important along those lines.

Edited by hagoth7
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, hagoth7 said:

Which, unless I'm mistaken, is the essence of the plea read from every pulpit in America during election season...issued by the Brethren. 

You may not appreciate my riff on it, but such use of one's temporary megaphone to get one's view out aligns with what people are in essence to do...let their voice be heard. Wade in.  We don't need to be smaller than we are just because we *were* in a choir or *were* a college prof. I believe it was Nelson Mandela who said something pretty important along those lines.

I don't think the Brethren in issuing their plea contemplate Church members throwing the Church or any of its institutions under the bus in the course of advancing one's political agenda.

Furthermore, there is frequent admonition for Church members not to imply endorsement by the Church in their own political advocacy. I believe we can logically extend that to not allowing one's political activism to reflect negatively on the Church or its institutions, including coming out in open opposition to decisions made by the Church leaders or under the direction of Church leaders. 

In short, we are to be a good influence in society and government, but we should not presume to involve the Church in our politics, either affirmatively or negatively. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
Posted
5 minutes ago, hagoth7 said:

 

Duncan, this is for you, just what you've always wanted!! ;) (Hagoth, Duncan hasn't been a big fan of Alex, I'm just razzing him). 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Duncan, this is for you, just what you've always wanted!! ;) (Hagoth, Duncan hasn't been a big fan of Alex, I'm just razzing him). 

I wasn't especially a big fan either. Until last night, Alex's music was for me, nice, but kinda, Meh. Didn't do anything for me. (Serious apologies Alex for taking me awhile to get on board.)

Until last night. Made me sit up and take notice repeatedly. Alex's message is completely amazing. I suggest start watching the "Listen to Your Mother" narrative that starts around 1:13:00..  After his stories/words and Circle of Life song there, then rewind to the start and watch the whole thing.

Would really love to talk with Alex some day soon. The African heritage piece has been one of a few missing pieces (for me) in the heritage of mankind thing I'm really wanting to better understand/appreciate...and then hopefully work with others to share/convey....as Alex's mother had been telling him to do for 20 years. Last night was a perfect 1st step for me on filling in that important element in the periodical/family chart.

Edited by hagoth7
Posted

My highest level of appreciation for Alex came when I traveled with the choir and orchestra on their East Coast tour two years ago. As guest soloist with the choir, he performed the two African-American spirituals he did at the concerts this weekend. His showmanship was dazzling. I saw the concerts repeated several times at the different venues on that tour and never got tired of seeing Alex perform.

In fact, I was a bit disappointed Friday night that his showmanship was not quite up to the level I saw him display on that tour in New York, Maryland and Boston. That tour made an Alex Boyé fan out of me!

 

Posted
29 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Duncan, this is for you, just what you've always wanted!! ;) (Hagoth, Duncan hasn't been a big fan of Alex, I'm just razzing him). 

I get the feeling Duncan hasn't had a whole lot of exposure to the Tabernacle Choir in general.

I learned that last January on the thread about the inauguration, when he swore up and down that the choir wears robes. (They've never worn robes.)

He even posted a picture of the choir and, pointing out the blue dresses the women were wearing, said they were robes. They were not even remotely like robes.

It was hilarious.

 

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, hagoth7 said:

I wasn't especially a big fan either. Until last night, Alex's music was for me, nice, but kinda, Meh. Didn't do anything for me. (Serious apologies Alex for taking me awhile to get on board.)

Until last night. He was a tuning fork. Made me sit up and take notice repeatedly. Alex's message is completely amazing. I suggest start watching the "Listen to Your Mother" narrative that starts around 1:13:00..  After his stories/words and Circle of Life song there, then rewind to the start and watch the whole thing.

Would really love to talk with Alex some day soon. The African heritage piece has been one of few missing pieces (for me) in the heritage of mankind thing I'm really wanting to better understand/appreciate...and then hopefully work with others to share/convey....as Alex's mother had been telling him to do for 20 years. Last night was a perfect 1st step for me on filling in that important element in the periodical/family chart.

I'm interested in forming a web ring of likeminded cultural sites having and/or being amenable to a Restoration emphasis, linking virtual hands, of sorts, with various heritage silos -  European / African / Asian / Middle Eastern / First Peoples/Nations, etc., including various faith traditions ...kinda circling the wagons for a virtual hoedown showdown.  (if Duncan didn't appreciate Alex or MoTab, he'll likely eyeyroll bigtime with this song:

Thoughts/suggestions?

Edited by hagoth7
Posted
36 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

...His showmanship was dazzling. I saw the concerts repeated several times at the different venues on that tour and never got tired of seeing Alex perform.

...I was a bit disappointed Friday night that his showmanship was not quite up to the level I saw him display on that tour in New York, Maryland and Boston. That tour made an Alex Boyé fan out of me!

Perhaps Friday he was storing up for his Saturday oomph-performance. Saturday was stellar.

Posted
23 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I don't think the Brethren in issuing their plea contemplate Church members throwing the Church or any of its institutions under the bus...? 

In what world does voicing one's opinion about a public servant equate to throwing the church under the bus?

In what world does leveraging one's scientific expertise on a crucial matter (that just happens to have sweeping political repurcussions) throw the church under the bus? If the Glory of God is intelligence, was that prof supposed to hide the intelligence he uncovered under a busshel or in a napkin?

One must march in lockstep?....Or, one is encouraged to passionately *think*, wade in, speak out, and engage?

Which is it?

Furthermore, there is frequent admonition for Church members not to imply endorsement by the Church.. 

And a choir singing at an inauguration didn't imply precisely that?! 

(not interested in debating what the choir chose to do...I respect their choice too.) 

Scott, by saying implied endorsement is fine for the 99, but not for the 1, you're presenting a blatant double standard. Unjust. Unkind to the one exercising her right to speak her mind/heart...the very thing we're supposedly *encouraged* to do.


We simply can't have it both ways, and maintain a pretense of integrity. Something's gotta give.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...