Natural History Museum (SLC)

hagoth7

Visited the Natural History Museum in SLC tonight.

Invested some time in the First Peoples exhibit (early inhabitants of Utah).

Then invested time in the VIkings exhibit.

I *highly* recommend both.

The funnest part?  A bridge (too far, of course) spans the Vikings exhibit to the First Peoples exhibit.  ;0) 

(Methinks they should temporarily name it Hadugoth bridge)

BridgeVikingOgham.jpg

And there's a fun surprise/easter egg in the First Peoples' exhibit.

Edited by hagoth7

There's enough to absorb, just on the third floor, that you could come back once or twice a week until the Vikings exhibit is gone, and still wouldn't have extracted the full measure of what's offered there and in First Peoples.

Just as the slightest of glimpse of one facet of the depth offered there, I suggest bringing a friend or family member, and playing what might seem to be an innoccuous game on the bench on the far end of the Vikings exhibit.

And, for those nowhere near SLC: https://www.amazon.com/Rasmus-A-X-Persson-Hnefatafl/dp/B01JW7873S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1499930286&sr=8-4&keywords=tafl

Extremely relevant for 40-minute FHE LARPs and for one element of lengthier family-reunion LARPs, and for making a timely/crucial decision in family council. A helpful tool for passing down one's heritage to the next generation, with fun/crucial/embedded lessons that our ancestors intended to pass down to us...things we specifically need to learn and apply in our day. 

Edited by hagoth7

Earlier this week, before leaving to see the Vikings exhibit, I watched the version of Rise by the One Voice Children's choir. The impressibio was that it may have been filmed at or near the musuem I had already decided to visit.

And at the museum, before leaving, I explored the outdoor exhibits on the south end of the building.

And yep. Sure enough, the music video had been filmed both in and outisde that museum.

Uber-amazing message on many levels. For me at least...

Edited by hagoth7
On 7/13/2017 at 1:08 AM, hagoth7 said:

...The funnest part?  A bridge (too far, of course) spans the Vikings exhibit to the First Peoples exhibit.  ;0) 

(Methinks they should temporarily name it Hadugoth bridge)

Or Acco.

Or Gambara.

Or Tiro.

Or Sabinus.

Or Scyld

Or Nefi

Or Freya

The soundrack that oughta play in the background at that museum, notably recorded *at* that museum:

Edited by hagoth7

That's a fun museum.  I like how interactive a lot of the exhibits are for kids.  And the bug part is actually pretty cool.  But I hate that they close at 5.  Why can't any activity in the SLC area stay open past 5 or 6?  It's beyond annoying.

20 hours ago, bluebell said:

That's a fun museum.  I like how interactive a lot of the exhibits are for kids.  And the bug part is actually pretty cool.  But I hate that they close at 5.  Why can't any activity in the SLC area stay open past 5 or 6?  It's beyond annoying.

Haven't checked the full calendar, but Wednesdays are open 'til 9 PM. 

20 hours ago, bluebell said:

Mebbe they simply lack the docents needed to stay open longer.

On 7/17/2017 at 8:47 AM, bluebell said:

Also, other people's view of the Sabbath may vary, but with both the First Peoples and Vikings exhibit being family history, I view a family trip there to learn family history to be just as edifyig/valid/effective, if not more so, than doing research at home huddled around a static computer. A way to bring scriptures alive, and ancestors alive...for the kids.

And if one buys an annual pass in advance, you're not spending a thing on the sabbath. 

Your only remaining question would be, are you ok going to a museum where others are working on that day? If not, is there a way to resolve that minor issue?

Edited by hagoth7