? about the Church Admin. Building

Duncan

There is a 1941 picture of the Q12 and they are standing on an outside staircase with Pres. Clawson at the bottom and the then Elder Harold B. Lee at the top. It says the picture was taken at the Church Admin Building, which was dedicated in 1917. Anytime I have seen a picture of that building I don't see an outside staircase or where one would have been. Anyone know where that  picture was taken?

On July 25, 2016 at 10:21 PM, Duncan said:

There is a 1941 picture of the Q12 and they are standing on an outside staircase with Pres. Clawson at the bottom and the then Elder Harold B. Lee at the top. It says the picture was taken at the Church Admin Building, which was dedicated in 1917. Anytime I have seen a picture of that building I don't see an outside staircase or where one would have been. Anyone know where that  picture was taken?

On a related note, I believe it was President Clawson who when a missionary while serving here in Georgia, who had his companion shot to death right before his eyes. His companion was Joseph Standing, he told the mob to shot him too, but they left him alone. This young man had to prepare and dress Elder Standing to be shipped home to his family...impressive. 

28 minutes ago, Pa Pa said:

On a related note, I believe it was President Clawson who when a missionary while serving here in Georgia, who had his companion shot to death right before his eyes. His companion was Joseph Standing, he told the mob to shot him too, but they left him alone. This young man had to prepare and dress Elder Standing to be shipped home to his family...impressive. 

yeah, I can't imagine that whole scene! That experience would never leave you

It is not familar to me. The only one I am familiar with was made of stone on the south side. The west side had no stairs. I don't remember the north or east. Perhaps it was on the east across from the lion house though? 

Edited by Rain

" The building had two entrances, the main entrance and a private entrance located in the northeast corner of the building. The main entrance is found on the south and is reached by climbing sixteen solid granite steps flanked by granite pedestals on either side. A decorative bronze tripod bearing an inverted glass bowl was perched on the threshold of each pedestal with a high powered lamp placed inside each bowl that was “so arranged as to throw a flash of light upon the Ionic columns flanking it.” [54]The main doors are made of solid bronze with glass panels. In front of these doors is a pair of bronze grills that slide out from inside the exterior walls to enclose the entrance at night. Like the front entrance, the rear door is also made of bronze and glass. True to the neoclassical styling, a pediment was placed over the main entrance and the tympanum contained the blocked letters “LDS.” [55] Directly under the pediment in block letters was inscribed “CHURCH OFFICES,” which designated the official name for the building as the “LDS Church Offices” at the time."

https://rsc.byu.edu/archived/salt-lake-city/12-house-presidency-history-church-administration-building

Sorry, can't get everything bolded that I wanted to.

Edited by Rain