Jump to content

Spotlight wins Best Picture at the Oscars


Recommended Posts

RGB, go see it.  I thought the same way you did.  I worried it would drain me, and it would be so hard to see the abuse.  But it doesn't focus so much on that.  Excellent acting and such a positive thing to see something actually happen to people that hurt children.  Or exposure to it.  But like I said, it doesn't show any of it.  Just shows this team of reporters doing some great detective work.  You won't be upset as much as you will be uplifted to know that abuse like this is being addressed and not hidden.  How can it as much with movies like this and with the internet etc.  I'm glad that we don't put church leaders up there with God.  I doubt God would want that any way.  He loves his children!  It's a movie that shows that there are good people out there that won't sit idly by.  

Link to comment

The movie shows that Bernard Law is a criminal.....and is personally responsible for the abuse of possibly thousands of children.  The Catholic Church knew of the crimes and let it continue for years.  Prior to getting arrested, Bernard fled to Rome where he was appointed to fairly high positions in Vatican City.  Instead of requiring Law to face his victims and justice, he has been allowed to stay in Vatican City.

The movie ends with a map showing the many places the abuse was covered up and allowed to continue.

As time has gone on, we have found out that it is not just in the USA that Catholic priests abused children.  It happened in other countries as well.

Pathetic

Link to comment
21 hours ago, CountryBoy said:

The movie shows that Bernard Law is a criminal.....and is personally responsible for the abuse of possibly thousands of children.  The Catholic Church knew of the crimes and let it continue for years.  Prior to getting arrested, Bernard fled to Rome where he was appointed to fairly high positions in Vatican City.  Instead of requiring Law to face his victims and justice, he has been allowed to stay in Vatican City.

The movie ends with a map showing the many places the abuse was covered up and allowed to continue.

As time has gone on, we have found out that it is not just in the USA that Catholic priests abused children.  It happened in other countries as well.

Pathetic

Much better and more thorough comment than mine, thank you.  

Edited by Tacenda
Link to comment
14 hours ago, CountryBoy said:

The movie shows that Bernard Law is a criminal.....and is personally responsible for the abuse of possibly thousands of children.  The Catholic Church knew of the crimes and let it continue for years.  Prior to getting arrested, Bernard fled to Rome where he was appointed to fairly high positions in Vatican City.  Instead of requiring Law to face his victims and justice, he has been allowed to stay in Vatican City.

The movie ends with a map showing the many places the abuse was covered up and allowed to continue.

As time has gone on, we have found out that it is not just in the USA that Catholic priests abused children.  It happened in other countries as well.

Pathetic

I'm not sure that CB is putting our Church above the Catholic church but the LDS Church is a glass house. We really shouldn't throw stones.  I have witnessed my own leaders protect a predator over the victims ( and most assuredly future victims.)

Link to comment
6 hours ago, mtomm said:

I'm not sure that CB is putting our Church above the Catholic church but the LDS Church is a glass house. We really shouldn't throw stones.  I have witnessed my own leaders protect a predator over the victims ( and most assuredly future victims.)

I am just stating facts.  And if you have evidence of thousands and thousands of children worldwide being abused by LDS leaders, please show me.  And if you have evidence where the First Presidency whisked the guilty of the country to avoid prosecution, please show me.  And if you have evidence that the leadership moved the guilty from ward to ward to prey on children, please show me.

Link to comment
23 hours ago, CountryBoy said:

 And if you have evidence that the leadership moved the guilty from ward to ward to prey on children, please show me.

I've often wondered what would happen if I did "go public" with the circumstance.  But this isn't my story to tell. I'm not the victim, I only observed and tried to change what I could with the power that I had (which was none.)  I'm left understanding that leadership makes poor choices and we just have to live with that. It also makes me much less critical of other churches and a lot more humble about my Church...hence my comment about glass houses. Please don't put words in my mouth. I never accused the First Presidency of wrong doing, nor did I claim thousands and thousands of victims. Just a cautionary comment about our own vulnerability. 

Edited by mtomm
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, mtomm said:

I've often wondered what would happen if I did "go public" with the circumstance.  But this isn't my story to tell. I'm not the victim, I only observed and tried to change what I could with the power that I had (which was none.)  I'm left understanding that leadership makes poor choices and we just have to live with that. It also makes me much less critical of other churches and a lot more humble about my Church...hence my comment about glass houses. Please don't put words in my mouth. I never accused the First Presidency of wrong doing, nor did I claim thousands and thousands of victims. Just a cautionary comment about our own vulnerability. 

There is no vulnerability.  You may be able to show an isolated case here and there of someone who did wrong...but you can't show anything like what hundreds of priests did to thousands of children while protected by a plethora of Bishops and hidden by the Pope.

But....on a humorous note...Catholics have been afraid of me since I converted.  It is pretty funny

 

So, your comments are a little odd

Edited by CountryBoy
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, CountryBoy said:

There is no vulnerability.  You may be able to show an isolated case here and there of someone who did wrong...but you can't show anything like what hundreds of priests did to thousands of children while protected by a plethora of Bishops and hidden by the Pope.

So, your comments are a little odd

No vulnerability? Even those isolated cases still represent victims. It's doesn't have to be overwhelmingly bad to still be bad. All I am asking for is humility. I never said we were as bad as the Catholic church, you are saying I said it. 

Link to comment
10 minutes ago, mtomm said:

No vulnerability? Even those isolated cases still represent victims. It's doesn't have to be overwhelmingly bad to still be bad. All I am asking for is humility. I never said we were as bad as the Catholic church, you are saying I said it. 

I made a specific case about how a CHURCH and its leaders destroyed thousands of lives.  You try to equate it with isolated cases not supported by a church.

My gosh....did you just need to see yourself in a post or something?

Link to comment

What I find wrong with the reviews is that, while the movie IS about Boston, the end of the movie shows it was just one small part of the abuse of thousands upon thousands of abused children.  And what Law did was done by bishop after bishop.

The Bernard Law episode shows me the Pope never truly understood

Link to comment
7 hours ago, CountryBoy said:

I made a specific case about how a CHURCH and its leaders destroyed thousands of lives.  You try to equate it with isolated cases not supported by a church.

My gosh....did you just need to see yourself in a post or something?

So now along with  misrepresenting my comments you have resorted to insults. 

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...