sjdawg Posted January 27, 2016 Author Posted January 27, 2016 (edited) 17 minutes ago, salgare said: kind of an insider joke ... He was infamous for a lecture given to missionaries that leaked ... it was on why starving black children ended up in Ethiopia Indeed. I had to sort through a couple of links but it didn't take long for google to do its work and bring the controversy to the top of the list. It kind of makes you use a healthy dose of skepticism when you read any talk from a General Authority. From the transcript (no clue how accurate it is) it seems pretty clear he believes he is speaking doctrine. Side question. Since I was born in Canada does that mean I was more or less worthy in the pre-existance than my American friends? In the absence of any empirical data I will assume I was more righteous. Edited January 27, 2016 by sjdawg 2
theplains Posted January 27, 2016 Posted January 27, 2016 On 26/01/2016 at 2:34 PM, Scott Lloyd said: In fact, is not the Journal of Discourses in the public domain and thus accessible free of charge? Edited to add: Yep, I was right; it is in the public domain. Thanks. I was wondering why it not available from the church in print form. Jim
Calm Posted January 28, 2016 Posted January 28, 2016 (edited) Probably because it would be very expensive these days even at cost given that even in the small print and fine paper it was, it fills one over 30 inch bookshelf (26 volumes, looks like almost 400 pages in each). And the Church tends to limit unnecessary expenses. The Church also cut in about half, maybe more the variations on scriptures in order to cut down on costs and make scriptures more widely available. If someone can't afford a computer or the internet, it would be very unlikely they could afford buying the JoD in print. Looks like a company is printing it up for $20 a volume in paperback. That would be over $500 to own the whole thing. Assume the Church did it at cost, it would still likely be at least $200. Or you can get it for $10 in kindle. Edited January 28, 2016 by Calm 2
Scott Lloyd Posted January 28, 2016 Posted January 28, 2016 3 hours ago, theplains said: Thanks. I was wondering why it not available from the church in print form. Jim It's probably a matter of economics. In my lifetime I've seen it sold at Deseret Book and other outlets that deal in Church books, both in hardbound and in print form. I would guess there's not enough of a demand these days for it in hard copy, especially with it being so freely available online. As has been pointed out here, it used to be available in those wonderful CD-ROM digital compilations (Infobases, Gospel Link) that, alas, are now out of print.
Scott Lloyd Posted January 28, 2016 Posted January 28, 2016 (edited) 45 minutes ago, Calm said: Probably because it would be very expensive these days even at cost given that even in the small print and fine paper it was, it fills one over 30 inch bookshelf (26 volumes, looks like almost 400 pages in each). And the Church tends to limit unnecessary expenses. The Church also cut in about half, maybe more the variations on scriptures in order to cut down on costs and make scriptures more widely available. If someone can't afford a computer or the internet, it would be very unlikely they could afford buying the JoD in print. Looks like a company is printing it up for $20 a volume in paperback. That would be over $500 to own the whole thing. Assume the Church did it at cost, it would still likely be at least $200. Or you can get it for $10 in kindle. For many years we had a hardbound set in our library here at the Church News. Don't know if we still do (and I'm too lazy to go back and look just now). We had to get rid of a ton of stuff back in 2010 when the Deseret News had the corporate restructuring and we moved from our location on 1st South between State and Main down here to the Triad Center. Edited to add: Out of curiosity, I just went back and looked. No Journal of Discourses. Just bound volumes of the Church News going back to 1931. And some other stuff, which, if it is even useful at all today, is readily available online, such as Encyclopedia of Mormonism. Edited January 28, 2016 by Scott Lloyd
Recommended Posts