drums12 Posted December 9, 2014 Posted December 9, 2014 Does anyone have a copy of, or a link to, Danel Bachman's Masters Thesis at Purdue? I believe the title is "A Study of the Mormon Practice of Plural Marriage before the Death of Joseph Smith." I see it cited pretty often, but can't find a copy. Thanks in advanc for any help.
Calm Posted December 9, 2014 Posted December 9, 2014 Inter library loan is my suggestion....http://www.worldcat.org/title/study-of-the-mormon-practice-of-plural-marriage-before-the-death-of-joseph-smith/oclc/10742572
Kenngo1969 Posted December 9, 2014 Posted December 9, 2014 You probably found all of this stuff before I did, Drums12; if so, I apologize in advance for the duplication. All I can find is an on-line catalogue entry which lists libraries where it is available. Sorry. http://www.worldcat.org/title/study-of-the-mormon-practice-of-plural-marriage-before-the-death-of-joseph-smith/oclc/10742572
Kenngo1969 Posted December 9, 2014 Posted December 9, 2014 Inter library loan is my suggestion....http://www.worldcat.org/title/study-of-the-mormon-practice-of-plural-marriage-before-the-death-of-joseph-smith/oclc/10742572 You probably found all of this stuff before I did, Drums12; if so, I apologize in advance for the duplication. All I can find is an on-line catalogue entry which lists libraries where it is available. Sorry. http://www.worldcat.org/title/study-of-the-mormon-practice-of-plural-marriage-before-the-death-of-joseph-smith/oclc/10742572Great minds think alike! 1
Duncan Posted December 10, 2014 Posted December 10, 2014 I have parts of it, I got it via a friend in "high places" and photocopied as much of it as I could afford! hahahahaha!
Kenngo1969 Posted December 10, 2014 Posted December 10, 2014 I have parts of it, I got it via a friend in "high places" and photocopied as much of it as I could afford! hahahahaha!http://copyright.gov/title17/
Duncan Posted December 10, 2014 Posted December 10, 2014 http://copyright.gov/title17/ I live in Canada and I am not selling it , does that make a difference?!
readstoomuch Posted December 10, 2014 Posted December 10, 2014 It isn`t easy to come by and was never widely distributed. Well written and believe me, Danel Bachman believes in the restoration. I thiink all of the other polygamy books have superceded it for the most part.
Kenngo1969 Posted December 10, 2014 Posted December 10, 2014 I live in Canada and I am not selling it , does that make a difference?!I'm not going to turn you over to the American Feds. I was just having a little fun with you. But, while I am not a lawyer (I just play one on MA&DB ), and while, if you need legal advice, you should contact a licensed attorney, here are my answers to your questions. (1) If you violate U.S. copyright law with respect to a U.S. work, you're still subject to U.S. law, even if you live in that cold, pure, white, northern land of Canada; and (2) while profiting from a work may make a copyright violation more egregious, profiting from the work is not necessary to make out a claim of copyright infringement. Just sayin'!
Duncan Posted December 10, 2014 Posted December 10, 2014 I'm not going to turn you over to the American Feds. I was just having a little fun with you. But, while I am not a lawyer (I just play one on MA&DB ), and while, if you need legal advice, you should contact a licensed attorney, here are my answers to your questions. (1) If you violate U.S. copyright law with respect to a U.S. work, you're still subject to U.S. law, even if you live in that cold, pure, white, northern land of Canada; and (2) while profiting from a work may make a copyright violation more egregious, profiting from the work is not necessary to make out a claim of copyright infringement. Just sayin'! um, what?! i don't recall this being talked about on one of my fave American television shows whilst growing, "Night Court"
readstoomuch Posted December 10, 2014 Posted December 10, 2014 I believe it was at Purdue University and if you are willing to pay for copies from them officially, it is available. There is a copy of the thesis in the Church History Library. Also at University of Utah. I read it and was provided some copies of sections by the Church History Department. I am impressed that Danel Bachman has knowns the issues associated with Joseph Smith and plural marriage for years and has been devoutly teaching Institute and writing about the Gospel for years. I think it is a model of how many of us can be aware of some of the tougher parts of Church history, but still be faithful. 3
Kenngo1969 Posted December 12, 2014 Posted December 12, 2014 (edited) um, what?! i don't recall this being talked about on one of my fave American television shows whilst growing, "Night Court" Even the best legal comedies and dramas are prone to cut corners and leave relevant stuff out. Were it otherwise, that would be a prohibitive amount of ground to cover in 24/48 minutes. I'd be interested to see how that defense works in court: "But, Your Honor, this was never in any Night Court episodes!" (I wonder if that's the one Dell Schanze tried when a U.S. Magistrate held him in contempt? http://www.sltrib.com/home/1936735-155/ex-tv-pitchman-facing-charges-in-alleged. ("Who's that?" you ask? Don't worry, Duncan; in this case, you're better off not knowing. He's just a Local Village Idiot.) He'll probably want to sue me for libel for saying that, when-and-if he finds it, and when-and-if he finds out who I am. But what the heck? Bring it on! I'm bored! Of the two of us, although we both lack a license to practice law, I guaran-dang-tee you I'll fare better in court than he ever has! Edited December 12, 2014 by Kenngo1969 1
Recommended Posts