Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Non-Member Permissions For Temple Work


Recommended Posts

Posted

I am the closest living ancestor of my grandparents who is a member of the Church(only one very old aunt is still alive, and not a member of the Church). I don't need permission from anyone to do their work.

I'm sorry, thessometimesaint, but you do need the permission. Being the only member of the Church doesn't mean you don't need permission from the living relative who isn't a member.

I thought the same thing you do until I went to the Family History Fair on Saturday. I specifically asked about this scenario because I'm in the same position with my Grandparents. The person running the fair told me that it doesn't matter if I'm the only member in my family or not. I still must get permission from my living Aunt or Uncle before I can get my Grandparents' work done, because my Grandparents were born within 110 years ago.

It's quite frustrating, but perhaps I can see to my Great Grandparents' work at least. I'll find out tomorrow.

Posted (edited)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenarian

A centenarian is a person who lives to or beyond the age of 100 years. A supercentenarian is a person who has lived to the age of 110 or more, something only achieved by about one in 1,000 centenarians. Even rarer is a person who has lived to age 115 – there are only 34 people in recorded history who have...... In 2012, the United Nations estimated that there were 316,600 living centenarians worldwide.[4] As life expectancy is increasing across the world, the population of centenarians is expected to raise significantly in the future.[5] According to ONS, one third of babies born in 2013 in the UK are expected to live to 100.[6]

Edited by calmoriah
Posted

Why 110 years? That seems like such a weird number. Why not 100?

I don't know why they chose that number.

Posted (edited)

Percentage to survive to 110 much lower than 100. (1/1000 of a chance). It may not be too long before it becomes 115.

Edited by calmoriah
Posted

I don't believe someone can hold back another's salvation. I don't believe the Church would have the policies it does if that was really true.

 

 

I dunno! but in our case my Mom didn't know how to contact her relatives and my dad's relatives are who knows where and so we went ahead and did it anyways. I don't know I feel no guilt whatsoever doing family history work, but now we are doing people who are 100 plus years dead so no permission is needed anyways

Posted

If you don't know where to write, I get the bind. I think there is something in the rules about that but too tired to look tonight.

  • 9 months later...
Posted

I have an aunt and uncle on my dad's side who both died of cancer several years ago. Do I need to get their spouse's approval or can my dad approve of the work? I want to get the work done, but don't want to have to wait decades to do it.

Posted

With patience, we hold on to the records, those who protest if any overtime mostly die off. Either the LDS is in the same group as the rest of the cloest living survivors or you wait until grandchildren are converted or gone, then the name will be open,

Spouse trump sibling, you need spouses' approval while living, then any children or parents. Only then can siblings start making the choice.

Posted

Percentage to survive to 110 much lower than 100. (1/1000 of a chance). It may not be too long before it becomes 115.

 

Actually unless our health habits start changing the US and most of the rest of the Western world can expect the average lifespan to start falling soon. :(

Posted

With all these rules, all this work will never get done. There's so many people waiting. I wish the church would change the rules, because I mean it should be really up to the person in heaven to choose whether or not they accept. All this waiting for relatives, I could die before they reach appropriate age to get the work done.

Posted (edited)

The rules will change in the Millennium when we will have access to information in ways we don't now have.

As far as the wait, in terms of eternity it is just a moment. Assuming time continues there as here (which I am unsure about...perhaps it is just until we move into the eternal phase post judgment, perhaps sooner than that, perhaps time functions the same eternally...I think the scriptures are ambivalent on this), we have to endure limitations in this life and we are taught we can learn good things from this. I see no reason why limitations would suddenly be a bad thing just because we've set aside our bodies for a bit.

Edited by calmoriah
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...