Interesting Blog - Investigator Randomly Visits Polygamists

JLHPROF

http://52weeks52churches.blogspot.com/2014/05/my-surreal-visit-to-apostolic-united.html?m=1

Just thought this might make for some interesting observations - a guy with no particular religious beliefs is visiting churches in his area at random.  And he actually just randomly shows up at a polyamist group sacrament meeting.  (I found this interesting because I live right near them too).

His observations are really interesting (although he gets quite a few of his facts wrong as people correct him in the comments below).  I know it's an opinion blog but we all hate it when our beliefs are portrayed incorrectly.

Just randomly showing up and providing an outsiders view...crazy.  Makes me wonder what the average investigator thinks the first time they attend a sacrament meeting in the Church.  How do we appear to outsider eyes?

It was an interesting blog. I didn't realize they were trying to do missionary work to us. I guess they aren't doing that good of a job.

I wasnt sure about the part that discussed the temple, i think that was a bit borderline on whether it's allowable.

Other than that...

http://52weeks52churches.blogspot.com/2014/05/my-surreal-visit-to-apostolic-united.html?m=1

Just thought this might make for some interesting observations - a guy with no particular religious beliefs is visiting churches in his area at random.  And he actually just randomly shows up at a polyamist group sacrament meeting.  (I found this interesting because I live right near them too).

His observations are really interesting (although he gets quite a few of his facts wrong as people correct him in the comments below).  I know it's an opinion blog but we all hate it when our beliefs are portrayed incorrectly.

Just randomly showing up and providing an outsiders view...crazy.  Makes me wonder what the average investigator thinks the first time they attend a sacrament meeting in the Church.  How do we appear to outsider eyes?

I wonder what his objective is? Is he intending to write an expose on the subject?

I don't think that LDS church functions are that different from my fundamentalist experiences. There are some refreshing differences, however. No Rock Music, respectful, faithful hyms are another. I had intended to drive down to Colorado City this summer to see them this summer, but that will not happen now.

I've seen evidence of their existence in Oregon, Washington and Idaho, and as far as I am concerned, as long as it is all voluntary and no abuse occurs then let them alone. There could be some brain washing that would cause the disillusioned to fear leaving.  I was brain washed in my old denomination and did not know I could leave. It is not very important to me if the SLC leadership accepts them or not.

It was an interesting blog. I didn't realize they were trying to do missionary work to us. I guess they aren't doing that good of a job.

I wasnt sure about the part that discussed the temple, i think that was a bit borderline on whether it's allowable.

Other than that...

The temple part wasn't too specific I thought, but I can see why it might concern.  But it probably just referred to this old practice from the early days of the Church:

8a56010b7d58a1757a469e83f35f00e9.jpg

And I think the missionary work based on my reading of it is seen more as "hunters of men" - finding people with specific inclinations, than it is "fishers of men" - converting as many Church members as possible.  It's not like we see them protesting or proselyting at General Conference...