Internet Missionaries

Okrahomer

This is quite an interesting article in the Huffington Post about "internet" missions.  I think I have seen some worry that the internet would destroy the Church.  This article seems to paint a different picture.

Some anti-Mormons are trying to figure out ways to harass missionaries...in fact it is already ongoing.

Some anti-Mormons are trying to figure out ways to harass missionaries...in fact it is already ongoing.

The Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done.”  Joseph Smith to John Wentworth, Editor of The Chicago Democrat, 1842; (History of the Church 4:540).

True that. One might even point to the central "story" of the article regarding the young man from Quebec who engaged the missionaries merely to harass them. That young man is now a member of the Church.

I wish we could put our local missionaries to work doing this type of proselyting. Elder Holland specifically mentioned FB/internet missionaries when they had the missionary fireside one year ago. It does sound like there is some chaperoning of their internet usage. When they said the missionaries were going to be utilizing the internet and chapels at the fireside, I wondered how that was going to happen. It sounds like there would have to be members there to supervise. It can`t be a woman, unless it was going to be three women. Then you have the ward asking for volunteers among the men to be available during the day. There just really aren`t very many men available during the day. Can we fill the calls to clean the temple, go to the storehouse, move someone or any other miscellaneous activities during the day with men. Really, who is going to be available to be with the missionaries when they do this, even if I think it is a great idea? As it is now, they can`t go to see one of our widows, because she is a single woman. Never mind that she is 86 and uses a walker.

So, it is a super great idea. I do think there should be missionaries in our local congregations. Many congregations in the US now have one or more sets of missionaries. If only we could have missionary work broken down into segments. All utilizing the full-time missionaries. We could have service, welfare, genealogy, proselyting (typical and internet). Think of what we could do and how the interaction with older members would help the missionaries. As young as the missionaries are, they need some coaching and integrating into the social graces of being part of the Church. Maybe the genealogy centers could be where internet proselyting was done on a local basis.

Sorry for the rambling. I love so many things about this internet proselyting article that I read. I just need to see how the tires are going to hit the road.

Archived