Dead Sea Scrolls: Life and Faith in Ancient Times

exhibit at

The Leonardo museum in Salt Lake City,

209 E 500 S,

Salt Lake City, UT 84111

(801) 531-9800.

The exhibit opened to the public Friday Nov 22, 2013 and will be open until April 2014.

General admission is $23.95. Discount prices are available for students, seniors, youth, and military. Since this is a popular exhibit, patrons are encouraged to buy tickets online and sign up for a specific entry time at  http://www.theleonardo.org/exhibits/discover/dead-sea-scrolls-life-and-faith-ancient-times/ , or  https://50474.blackbaudhosting.com/50474/page.aspx?pid=196&tab=2&txobjid=d498406a-98b2-4055-98cd-0425e96ad187 .

Dead Sea Scrolls: Life and Faith in Ancient Times
exhibit at
The Leonardo museum in Salt Lake City,
209 E 500 S,
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
(801) 531-9800.

The exhibit opened to the public Friday Nov 22, 2013 and will be open until April 2014.
General admission is $23.95. Discount prices are available for students, seniors, youth, and military. Since this is a popular exhibit, patrons are encouraged to buy tickets online and sign up for a specific entry time at  http://www.theleonardo.org/exhibits/discover/dead-sea-scrolls-life-and-faith-ancient-times/ , or  https://50474.blackbaudhosting.com/50474/page.aspx?pid=196&tab=2&txobjid=d498406a-98b2-4055-98cd-0425e96ad187 .

Can't wait for this, woohoo!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By MDalby
      I can't recall the reference but I seem to remember Hugh Nibley had the opinion that the third Jerusalem Temple would be built according to the blueprint in the Dead Sea Scrolls Temple Scroll vs the blueprint in Ezekiel.
      Does anyone have any source that references the Temple Scroll vs Ezekiel?  Does anyone have any reference for this Nibley position?

Thank you

• By nosmelone
      So according to the followng KSL news article sometime this fall the Dead Sea Scrolls will be on display in SLC at the Leonardo. I must admit this is worth making the trip from Arizona to see. Does anyone know off of the top of there head about how long these shows are usually on display for? I know there is debate on the cost for tickets to view but I'm really not to worried about that...just the timing.
      http://www.ksl.com/?...&s_cid=queue-22
    • By Maestrophil
      I have been reading a book called "Hidden Treasures of Knowledge" by Stephen Morgan.
      In it, the author treats many subjects, and largely quotes from Nibley when addressing ancient documents - The JS Papyrus (Book of Breathings), Nag Hamadi texts, Dead Seas Scrolls, Apocrypha etc. I was first exposed to Nibley's works from cassettes passed around on my mission, and was blown away at the time by all of the similarities pointed out by Bro N between these ancient documents and LDS doctrine, especially in regards to the Temple.
      Reading this book has re-piqued my interest, but as someone who has gone through a lot of faith challenges since being a young missionary, I now read things with a more skeptical eye. I realized I have never seen the original source translations of the passages cited, and know very little about the secular perspective as well as other faiths' views on these documents.
      If taken at face value, then the doctrines and quotes form these ancient documents by Bros Nibley and Morgan, provide an UNCANNY amount of material that corroborates and justifies LDS theology and doctrine as being a restoration of things ancient.
      So my questions are:
      1. How do critics/non believers of the LDS church respond to the claims made by Nibley and others about the DSS etc? Have their assertions been refuted?
      2. Are there books, especially LDS ones, that actually quote from direct translations done outside of LDS scholarship with footnotes/references (I especially am curious about the translation of the BOA papyri fragments that Nibley cites as containing an Egyptian "endowmnet"?
      3. Do any other faiths consider these ancient documents to be a challenge to their view of religious history?
      4. What are your personal experiences with ancient texts, and what recommendations for further study do you have?
      It seems to me that if these references are solid, more of a big deal would be made about their existence. I await your excellent replies!!!
      Maestrophil
      EDITED to add - an apology for the title containing the word "scrools"
    • By volgadon
      There was a recent conference on Karaite Judaism hosted by the Goldstein-Goren International Center for Jewish Thought. One of the workshops was on the Karaite Yefet ben Eli's commentary on the Hebrew Bible, or, rather, how he tackled a thorny theological problem found in the account of King David's census. Karaites tended towards a more literal interpretation of the Bible than did many of their rabbinic counterparts, but they were also highly influenced by Shiite theology, particularly in regards to the sinless state of prophets. This video shows how they reconciled the biblical account to their worldview, so I think it will be time well spent for anyone with an interest in the history of biblical interpretation.

• By volgadon
      With all the recent discussions of works, law, grace, etc., it isn't a bad idea to look at some primary sources and secondary historical studies. The BAS has a free ebook containing Martin Abegg's discussion of what the Dead Sea Scrolls can teach us about the Pauline phrase "works of the Law."
      http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/free-ebooks/paul-jewish-law-and-early-christianity/
      Paul, “Works of the Law” and MMT
      By Martin Abegg
      Biblical Archaeology Society
      “Miqsat Ma‘ase Ha-Torah” read the words highlighted in the Dead Sea Scroll fragment above. The phrase gives the document its shorthand name—MMT. But what does it mean?
      Scholars have varyingly translated it as “some precepts of Torah” or “some legal rulings of Torah.” Both translations miss the mark, writes Martin Abegg, who suggests the proper rendering is “pertinent works of the law.” If Abegg is right, MMT casts important new light on the thinking of Paul, who uses the expression “works of the law” in his letters to the Galatians and the Romans.
      The usual translation of Miqsat Ma‘ase Ha-Torah—MMT—obscures its relationship to Paul’s letters. This Dead Sea Scroll and Paul use the very same phrase.