Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

What Do We Know About Heavenly Mother?


Recommended Posts

Posted

One of the coolest things about Mormonism IMO is the idea of a Heavenly Mother. We've been counseled not to pray to her, at least not in meetings, but She is definitely an important part of the Plan.

A poster in the Christians and Mormons group on Facebook shared the following blogpost concerning some of what the General Authorities have said about her.

http://aproperwife.blogspot.com/2013/04/what-do-we-know-about-heavenly-mother.html

One of my favorite quotes from the blog is the following, from Elder Erastus Snow of the Twelve.

What,” says one, “do you mean we should understand that Deity consists of man and woman?” Most certainly I do. If I believe anything that God has ever said about himself . . . I must believe that deity consists of man and woman. . . There can be no God except he is composed of the man and woman united, and there is not in all the eternities that exist, or ever will be a God in any other way. We may never hope to attain unto the eternal power and the Godhead upon any other principle . . . this Godhead composing two parts, male and female."

Posted

While I think there's truth to Elder Snow's statement, we really do not know much at all about Heavenly mother. We know she is there both by reasn and by implication via The Family: A Proclamation to the World. My understanding is that Heavenly Father cannot by "Father" without a "mother" by His side. Beyond that I hardly think of Heavenly Mother other than that she's there and that the Father is complete with her.

We've been counseled not to pray to her, at least not in meetings,

I would add in private as well. Not a good place to go.

Posted
...we really do not know much at all about Heavenly mother. ..

Sr. Holland would disagree with you.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1987/10/one-thing-needful-becoming-women-of-greater-faith-in-christ?lang=eng

"I have never questioned why our mother in heaven seems veiled to us, for I believe the Lord has his reasons for revealing as little as he has on that subject. Furthermore, I believe we know much more about our eternal nature than we think we do; and it is our sacred obligation to express our knowledge, to teach it to our young sisters and daughters, and in so doing to strengthen their faith and help them through the counterfeit confusions of these difficult latter days."...

She then proceeds to point out someone from the OT who can teach us quite a lot about who our Heavenly Mother is :).

Posted (edited)

I am thankful for the knowledge that she exists. But anything more than that simple fact is just extrapolation from speculation.

It's not at all hard for me to imagine what she's like. She is a perfect adult woman, perfect wife, perfect mother, divine royal queen enthroned in the heavens, the great High Priestess filled with perfect faith, hope, and infinite and eternal charity. She has all knowledge, all wisdom, all power, and is the great co-creator of the sons and daughters of God. She is the female manifestation of the way, the truth and the life. She if filled with all the fulness of the Godhead in a perfected female tabernacle. She is God the Father's equal and the object of his greatest love, devotion and sacred adoration. Like Eve, she is the crowning glory of all creation. Without her at his side, God could and would not be God, for Eternal Man is not without the Woman and Eternal Woman is not without the Man in the highest degree of glory of the Celestial World. It is in her and her husband that we live, and move, and have a being. She -- along with her husband and Son -- is the holy repository of the great mysteries of Godliness. She is every girl's and every woman's ideal. She is our wonderful, sweet, kind, pure, gracious, self-sacrificing and forgiving Heavenly Mother, who nurtures each of her children, and even all of creation, with the perfect and unique unconditional love that only a woman can bring.

Edited by teddyaware
Posted

It's not at all hard for me to imagine what she's like. She is a perfect adult woman, perfect wife, perfect mother, divine royal queen enthroned in the heavens, the great High Priestess filled with perfect faith, hope, and infinite and eternal charity. She has all knowledge, all wisdom, all power, and is the great co-creator of the sons and daughters of God. She is the female manifestation of the way, the truth and the life. She if filled with all the fulness of the Godhead in a female tabernacle. She is God the Father's equal and the object of his greatest love, devotion and sacred adoration. Like Eve, she is the crowning glory of all creation. Without her at his side, God could and would not be God, for Eternal Man is not without the Woman and Eternal Woman is not without the Man in the highest degree of glory of the Celestial World. It is in her and her husband that we live, and move, and have a being. She, along with her husband and Son, is the holy repository of the great mysteries of Godliness. She is every girl and every womanls ideal. She is our wonderful, sweet, kind, pure, gracious, self-sacrificing and forgiving Heavenly Mother, who nurtures each of her children, and even all of creation, with the perfect and unique unconditional love that only a woman can bring.

I'm not say she's not any/all of those things. But it is still just speculation. We have no doctrine concerning her. Now if we would add Scripture describing her with those characteristics. That's fine with me. However we didn't add the PotF to Scripture this last GC. So maybe in Fall GC.

Posted (edited)

I'm not say she's not any/all of those things. But it is still just speculation. We have no doctrine concerning her. Now if we would add Scripture describing her with those characteristics. That's fine with me. However we didn't add the PotF to Scripture this last GC. So maybe in Fall GC.

What would you say if I told you I didn't need new scripture to know that Heavenly Mother is just as I described her? What would you say if I told you I learned she is just the way I described her through revelation? And what would you say if I told you that receiving said revelation on the subject comes very easily, because having an understanding that Heavenly Mother verily is as I described her is just an example of pure spiritual common sense? What common sense? Every knowledgable Latter-day Saint knows anyone who is glorified with the highest degee of celestial glory receives the following blessings:

Therefore it is given to abide in you; the record of heaven; the Comforter; the peaceable things of immortal glory; the truth of all things; that which quickeneth all things, which maketh alive all things; that which knoweth all things, and hath all power according to wisdom, mercy, truth, justice, and judgment. (Moses 6:61)

Heavenly Mother enjoys a fulness of the celestial glory and thereby also enjoys a fulness of all the divine gifts and attributes that glory bestows upon its recipients.

Edited by teddyaware
Posted

Hello Teddyaware...

While I am very cautious about speculating in regard to Heavenly Mother, and tend to lean toward TSS's attitude... I did find your post very beautiful and one that I like to think about.

GG

Posted

changed #3;

I said as per your citation, "we really do not know much at all about Heavenly mother". You said [sister] Holland would disagree with me.

Here's from the link you provided (red bold mine):

I have never questioned why our mother in heaven seems veiled to us, for I believe the Lord has his reasons for revealing as little as he has on that subject. Furthermore, I believe we know much more about our eternal nature than we think we do; and it is our sacred obligation to express our knowledge, to teach it to our young sisters and daughters, and in so doing to strengthen their faith and help them through the counterfeit confusions of these difficult latter days. Let me point out some examples.

It does not seem Patricia Holland disagrees with me at all.

Posted

Neither "Father nor Mother" are the Necessary Cause. "God" is infinitely more than anthropomorphic concepts. I can accept that "God" manifests as the ultimately glorified Father and Mother, but God As Necessary Cause is inconceivable to the finite (yet immortal) mind. We can only apprehend the logic mandating the Necessary Cause, because existence cannot be explained any other way. But what the Necessary Cause Is, though the concept be apprehended, can never be comprehended by a manifestation of it, which is what we are....

Posted

Your "necessary Cause" is just a mindless set of rules, basically the fundamental laws of physics. I prefer to worship People who can love me and take an interest in my life.

Amen.

Posted
... if we would add Scripture describing her with those characteristics. ....

Sr. Holland councils us to look for patterns within the scriptures. One of the patterns we find is that there are many different names for members within the Godhead. - The lamb of God, the cornerstone, the bread of life, shepherd, light, lion, living water, meek and lowly, the rock, son of man, the true vine, the way etc. etc. I think perhaps if someone was not born and raised within a Christian background, they could easily read many scriptures within the Bible, and not understand Who it was talking about, because they did not recognize all of the names of the Godhead. It would not surprise me if this same pattern - that of assigning many different symbolic names - also applies to our Heavenly Mother. Some of Her names I think are fairly well agreed upon (Wisdom, Tree of Life, etc.) others are left for personal study and revelation. I believe the scriptures are filled with information about Her though, for those who know Her name.

Posted (edited)

changed #3;

I said as per your citation, "we really do not know much at all about Heavenly mother". You said [sister] Holland would disagree with me.

Here's from the link you provided (red bold mine):

It does not seem Patricia Holland disagrees with me at all.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be contentious, but as important of a figure as Heavenly Mother is, I think it's good to persuade everyone out there to personally study and seek after Her, just as they would study and seek after all of the other members within the Godhead.

13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.

14 For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold.

15 She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.

16 Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour.

17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.

18 She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her.

I agree with Sr. Holland on all accounts, that there are good reasons that Heavenly Mother is left as a subject for personal study, rather than public declarations, but that does not mean that we do not know more about her than we realize. I believe her light shines within our conscience, just as the light of Christ shines within us all, and the power of God is felt within us all. I believe that when we come to meet Her beyond the veil, we will not be meeting a stranger, but will recognize Her spirit, and will realize that we have been with Her, and have been learning about Her, all along.

Edited by changed
Posted (edited)

Sr. Holland councils us to look for patterns within the scriptures. One of the patterns we find is that there are many different names for members within the Godhead. - The lamb of God, the cornerstone, the bread of life, shepherd, light, lion, living water, meek and lowly, the rock, son of man, the true vine, the way etc. etc. I think perhaps if someone was not born and raised within a Christian background, they could easily read many scriptures within the Bible, and not understand Who it was talking about, because they did not recognize all of the names of the Godhead. It would not surprise me if this same pattern - that of assigning many different symbolic names - also applies to our Heavenly Mother. Some of Her names I think are fairly well agreed upon (Wisdom, Tree of Life, etc.) others are left for personal study and revelation. I believe the scriptures are filled with information about Her though, for those who know Her name.

I was neither born nor raised in the Church, but am a long time convert. Our doctrine is that while there may be Gods many and Lords many to us there is but one Godhead with which we have anything to do with. That Godhead consists of God the Father, his Son Jesus the Christ, and the Holy Ghost. Anyone who suggests otherwise is merely speculating about something that is not doctrine. Get her added to Scripture and I'll vouchsafe for her attributes.

Edited by thesometimesaint
Posted

I would say that is fine for you, but no one else can be held to it.

""Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

Albert Einstein

By that quote, I would say it proves Einstein was no "Einstein."

Posted

Given the title of "Mother," it is logical to conclude that she is female--though, with the way meanings of words these days are being turned on their head, some may believe otherwise.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Posted (edited)

Hello Teddyaware...

While I am very cautious about speculating in regard to Heavenly Mother, and tend to lean toward TSS's attitude... I did find your post very beautiful and one that I like to think about.

GG

Thank you!

Please excuse my ignorance, but what or whom is TSS's?

I must say I'm quite astonished many folks here are loath to share my views on Heavenly Mother. What else could she be but a perfect woman? in the same way God the Father and Christ are perfect men, each filled with the eternal fulness of the powers, glorys and attributes of Godly perfection bodily Where's the mystery here? They're all celestial beings filled with a fulness of celestial glory. What else could she possibly be considering she is God the Father's eternal companion with whom he (God) has become one in flesh and Spirit?

Again I ask, what else could she be? Is it likely she's a woman who has only inherited a telestial or terrestrial glory, but for some strange and incongruous reason is permitted to live in the celestial kingdom while, according to God's law, she is unworthy to dwell in that holy realm?

The following passages of scripture prove beyond doubt Heavenly Mother is what I assert she is -- a woman who enjoys the fulness of celestial glory, in eternal unity with her husband to whom she is sealed for time and all eternity. For those of you who say you want scriptures before you will believe how I've characterised our Heavenly Mother, well here they are:

"19 And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife by my word, which is my law, and by the new and everlasting covenant, and it is sealed unto them (i.e., both the husband and the wife) by the Holy Spirit of promise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the keys of this priesthood; and it shall be said unto them (both the husband and the wife) —Ye (both husband and wife) shall come forth in the first resurrection; and if it be after the first resurrection, in the next resurrection; and shall inherit thrones, kingdoms, principalities, and powers, dominions, all heights and depths—then shall it be written in the Lamb’s Book of Life, that he shall commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, and if ye abide in my covenant, and commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, it shall be done unto them (both husband and wife) in all things whatsoever my servant hath put upon them (both husband and wife), in time, and through all eternity; and shall be of full force when they (both husband and wife) are out of the world; and they (both husband and wife) shall pass by the angels, and the gods, which are set there, to their (both husband and wife) exaltation and glory in all things, as hath been sealed upon their (both husband and wife) heads, which glory shall be a fulness and a continuation of the seeds forever and ever.

20 Then shall they (both husband and wife) be gods, because they (both husband and wife) have no end; therefore shall they (both husband and wife) be from everlasting to everlasting, because they (both husband and wife) continue; then shall they (both husband and wife) be above all, because all things are subject unto them (both husband and wife). Then shall they (both husband and wife) be gods, because they (both husband and wife) have all power, and the angels are subject unto them (both husband and wife).

21 Verily, verily, I say unto you, except ye abide my law ye cannot attain to this glory. (Doctrine & Covenants 132)"

Since Heavenly Mother enjoys the fulness of celestial glory and a continuation of the seeds for ever and ever, as described above (after all, the billions of people who have been, are now, and yet will be upon the face of this earth are all her spirit children, don't you know?), it's quite obvious -- except for those too stubborn to accept the obvious -- that Heavenly Mother is the presiding Queen, Priestess, Divine Mother, and Godess of all known creation. If you still doubt these exalted titles rightfully belong to Heavenly Mother,, please reread the verses above...

Edited by teddyaware
Posted

Thank you!

Please excuse my ignorance, but what or whom is TSS's?

TSS is Thesometimessaint... who posted on this thread...

GG

Posted

What would you say if I told you I didn't need new scripture to know that Heavenly Mother is just as I described her? What would you say if I told you I learned she is just the way I described her through revelation? And what would you say if I told you that receiving said revelation on the subject comes very easily, because having an understanding that Heavenly Mother verily is as I described her is just an example of pure spiritual common sense? What common sense? Every knowledgable Latter-day Saint knows anyone who is glorified with the highest degee of celestial glory receives the following blessings:

Therefore it is given to abide in you; the record of heaven; the Comforter; the peaceable things of immortal glory; the truth of all things; that which quickeneth all things, which maketh alive all things; that which knoweth all things, and hath all power according to wisdom, mercy, truth, justice, and judgment. (Moses 6:61)

Heavenly Mother enjoys a fulness of the celestial glory and thereby also enjoys a fulness of all the divine gifts and attributes that glory bestows upon its recipients.

I know you aren't asking me, but I have the bad habit of interjecting myself. I dont think I would doubt it if the Lord revealed something like that to you. But I'm not sure it would be prudent to share those things before the Lord reveals them through those with the keys to reveal them.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...