The Mormon Pilgrimage

Jude2

Hubby and I are planning a road trip for our 40th wedding anniversary which is in August. We’re going in September and want to try to hit all of the Church historical sites we can, we have about 25 days to just wander (retirement is nice). We’re heading toward Acadia National park with stops like Independence along the way. On the way back we’ll go to Palmyra and the other historical places.

Does anyone have a must see, don’t bother or suggestions as to where to stay and eat?

Hubby and I are planning a road trip for our 40th wedding anniversary which is in August. We’re going in September and want to try to hit all of the Church historical sites we can, we have about 25 days to just wander (retirement is nice). We’re heading toward Acadia National park with stops like Independence along the way. On the way back we’ll go to Palmyra and the other historical places.

Does anyone have a must see, don’t bother or suggestions as to where to stay and eat?

For sure stay at the Palmyra Inn. Someone in my ward has part ownership in it. My hubby and I booked two nights at a Bed and Breakfast in a town next to Palmyra, after the first night we wanted out of there. It was a strange place, very old and felt a strange vibe from the owner. Luckily we were able to cancel the next night and stayed at the Palmyra Inn which turned out to be perfect. On their website it's furniture looks old and outdated. It's been updated. And had a mini kitchen and t.v. That Bed & Breakfast didn't even have a t.v. I honestly didn't want to shut my eyes. It was creepy. Also, check out Niagra Falls and sights around the Finger Lakes. Sounds like it will be a blast!

Well, to me, no bias at all, Kirtland, Ohio is an absolute MUST. No bias though. :) It is only about 2-3 hours from Jamestown New York. The original Temple is there and the archetecture is fascinating for 1839. The indoor engineering is very enginuitive. The seating arrangement is nothing like you will ever see.

At the visitor's center many of the Joseph Smith era buildings are still there, and in one building they even have wife savers in the fireplace.

And, right in front of the Kirtland Temple is where I saw the angel on a horse with a sword that stopped me. Eventually I wound up in the visitor's center and that is where I found new hope for my life. The Holy Spirit used them to convince me to give up Islam and embrace the LDS.

I am sure you will enjoy it.

We did it when our Daughter entered the MTC, some from Atlanta Ga...there is one noth of the city, and then up through Illinois and throughout the entire Mormon Trail, ending at the MTC. We then cried all the ways into Texas after leavening her...we even drove through her mission and introduced her to her Mission Preisdent. While in Nauvoo got to meet President Hunter personally and GBH and ended up appearing of TV with GBH and Elder Ballard. Greatest vacation we ever had. Only being sealed as a family in the Swiss Temple compared. You are going to have lifelong memories.