The Interview Video And Complete Transcript Of A Newport Victim Father

urroner

I know there is already a thread with almost the same topic, but I just wanted to let the video and the transcript have their own thread. This man really shined. What he did would be very tough for me to do.

This video goes up until the media starts asking questions, the complete transcript with the questions and responses are below. It's rather long.

[media=]

ROBBIE PARKER, FATHER OF SHOOTING VICTIM EMILIE PARKER: OK. So my name is Robbie Parker. My family is one of the families that lost a child yesterday in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings here in Connecticut. I've been contacted by so many people and agencies wanting to know how we're doing and I just thought that this might be the best way to share those feelings with everybody. First of all, I would really like to offer our deepest condolences to all of the families who were directly affected by this shooting.

It's an horrific tragedy, and we want everybody to know that our hearts and our prayers go out to them. This includes the family of the shooter. I can't imagine how hard this experience must be for you. And I want you to know that our family and our love and our support goes out to you as well. At this time, our thanks go out to so many people, so many friends and family. And complete strangers who we don't know. For all the love, condolences and is support that you have given to us.

My daughter Emilie would be one of the first ones to be standing and giving her love and support to all those victims. Because that's the type of person that she is. Not because of any parenting that my wife and I could have done. But because those were the gifts that were given to her by her heavenly father. As the deep pain begins to settle into our hearts, we find comfort reflecting on the incredible person that Emilie was, and how many lives she was able to touch in her short time here on earth. Emilie was bright, creative and very loving. Emilie was always willing to try new things, other than food.

She loved to use her talents to touch the lives of everyone she came into contact with. She was an exceptional artist, and she always carried around her markers and pencils so that she never missed an opportunity to draw a picture or make a card for those around her. I can't count the number of times Emilie noticed someone feeling sad or frustrated and would rush to find a piece of paper to draw them a picture or to write them an encouraging note. Emilie's card-making was expressed beautifully this last October when she placed a very special card that she had made into the casket with her grandpa, who also just recently died of a tragic accident.

Emilie was a mentor to her two little sisters in delighting and teaching them how to read, dance and find the simple joys in life. Emilie's laughter was infectious, and all those who had the pleasure to meet her would agree that this world has a better place because she has been in it. As we move on from what happened here, what happened to so many people, let it not turn into something that defines us. But something that inspires us to be better, to be more compassionate, and more humble people. Let us please keep the sentiments of love we feel for our families and the compassion that we feel for others, even complete strangers, and keep them with us at all times.

Not just in times of sorrow and tragedy. And may we do this so that we can better all of our communities and all of our cities and all our states so that we can make everyone everywhere in this country feel safe. Thank you. I would be happy to answer any questions, as long as I see them to be within reason.

(INAUDIBLE QUESTION)

I was leaving to work, and she woke up before I left. And I've actually been teaching her Portuguese. And so our last conversation was in Portuguese. And she told me good morning, and asked how I was doing. And I said that I was doing well. She said that she loved me. And I gave her a kiss and I was out the door.

(INAUDIBLE QUESTION)

The best way that I've been seeing that is I have two really good friends at home who have set up a Facebook page to help raise money for Emilie. And when I've gotten on that and just seen the number of people who have commented and expressed their condolences, it's been quite overwhelming.

UNIDENTIFIED WOMAN: Can you describe what your daughter looked like for us?

PARKER: There's lots of pictures on the Emilie Parker fund page on Facebook. She was beautiful. She was blonde, always smiling. Bright blue eyes.

(INAUDIBLE QUESTION)

Here at the church last night, there was a special meeting, and I was given an opportunity to be able to speak at that, as well. And in that, I just mentioned that, you know, the person that chose to act in this way was acting with a God-given right that he was given by God to -- with his own free agency. And that free agency is given to all of us to act and choose to do whatever we want. And God can't take that away from us. And I know that that's something that he was given and that's what he chose to do with it.

And I know that God can't take that away. I'm not mad. Because I have my agency to make sure that I use this event to do what I can to do whatever I can. So, I want to make sure that my family and my wife and my daughters are taken care of and that if there's anything that I can do to help anybody at anytime, anywhere, that I would be willing to do that.

UNIDENTIFIED MAN: Mr. Parker, you talk about your daughter. Your other daughters, I wonder if you could talk about them.

PARKER: As un-cheesy as I can say that, she was their best friend. They were all born within three years of each other. So by law, they're very close. She was teaching my middle daughter to read. She would help my youngest daughter learn how to make things, show her how to do crafts. They looked up to her. And they looked to her when they needed comfort. Usually that's saved for a mom and dad. But it was really sweet to see the times when one of them would fall or one of them would get their feelings hurt, how they would run to Emilie to get support and hugs and kisses.

(INAUDIBLE QUESTION)

PARKER: You know, it's hard for me to talk about, because I was at work at the hospital. And the hospital was in lockdown, so I couldn't get to the school right away.

I love the people at the school. I love Emilie's teacher, and the classmates that we were able to get to know. I love all of them. And my prayers go out to all of those people.

UNIDENTIFIED NEWS CORRESPONDENT: Is there anything you want to share with the other parents?

PARKER: The only thing I can say to other parents is the comfort we can find, that at least we know there's other people that are in the same boat that we are, that there's other people that know how you're feeling. And even though we are going through it differently and our emotions might be different, and we're going to process this whole thing differently, we're in this together and we're forever linked by this event.

UNIDENTIFIED NEWS CORRESPONDENT: Have you spoken to your other children about what happened?

PARKER: Yes, we were able to -- you know, with the events that happened with my father-in-law recently, and this is unfortunately a topic that's been discussed in our family over the last couple months. So with my daughters, we have been able to express to them what happened. Their understanding is a little limited, of course. But they seem to get the fact that they have somebody that they're going to miss very much.

UNIDENTIFIED NEWS CORRESPONDENT: (INAUDIBLE QUESTION)

PARKER: The what? I'm sorry.

UNIDENTIFIED NEWS CORRESPONDENT: Emilie's teacher. PARKER: You know, with respect to her family, I'm not going to say her name or anything. I met her at parent-teacher conference a couple weeks ago, and was so impressed with the fact that she really seemed to know Emilie as a person, Emilie's likes and dislikes and things she was good at and things that frustrated her. And is the way she talked about Emilie like that, I know without a doubt, she knew all other 16 kids in the classroom the exact same.

PARKER: You know, the word of this gets out in the afternoon, and our family is from out west. Getting them here in a timely manner was kind of difficult. The fact that, you know, airline agencies were bending over backwards and breaking rules, which they never do, was quite amazing. People -- just seeing my family in the airport and realizing that something was wrong, but not knowing exactly what was wrong and giving them hugs and their support, you know -- everything, from people getting out of line in the security line to let them pass and moving seats on the airplane so they could sit together, those kind of things were very greatly appreciated. And anybody that provided those for my family, I just thank you so much.

PARKER: She was the type of person that could just light up a room. She always had something kind to say about anybody. And her love and strength she gave us, and the example she showed to us is remarkable. She is an incredible person. And I'm so blessed to be her dad.

I guess that's it.

Yes?

PARKER: I don't know. I don't know how to get through something like this. My wife and I don't understand how to process all of this and how to get our lives going. You know, we find strength in our religion and in our faith, and in our family. And I think that everybody that's going through something like this has, hopefully, support with their family, and with what other means they can find. I just hope everybody can get the help they need.

Since nobody knows how to go through this, I think it's really important that people reach out to the services that have been provided to all of us for counseling and somebody to talk to and understanding how to talk to your children and those kind of things. I really hope that all of us utilize those things that have been offered to us.

PARKER: I had a 3, 4 and 6-year-old.

UNIDENTIFIED NEWS CORRESPONDENT: (INAUDIBLE QUESTION) PARKER: It went from something that, you know, I -- I can't imagine this is happening. This has to be some sort of mistake. What was hard, since I was at work, I was having to talk to my wife on the phone. And just trying to know what was the right thing to do. You know, we didn't -- I didn't think it was that big a deal at first. I thought, with the first reports that were coming in, it didn't sound like it was going to be as tragic as it was. And then as we weren't given information, it started to settle in that it was a much tougher experience for everybody. And so that was kind of what it was like for us.

PARKER: I'm -- I'm proud to say that I'm a physician assistant and I work in the Danbury-Newborn Intensive Care Unit. I'm 30 years old.

PARKER: The best thing that I can think of to do to move on is to help other people. When you help other people, you feel better about yourself. And the more people help other people, then the more people are blessed. And when your life feels blessed, you feel like you can take on the world.

UNIDENTIFIED NEWS CORRESPONDENT: You work at the Danbury Hospital?

PARKER: Yes.

UNIDENTIFIED NEWS CORRESPONDENT: You work with newborns?

PARKER: Yes.

PARKER: I was at work when my wife called me. And then I was able to find a television and start trying to get any information I can.

UNIDENTIFIED NEWS CORRESPONDENT: Were you there when any of the children --

PARKER: I wasn't. I don't work in the emergency room, so I wasn't involved with any of that.

PARKER: You know what's interesting about that, my family just moved to Newtown about eight months ago, when I accepted the job here. So the impression I got from people on the east coast was a lot different from what I experienced when I got here, that's for sure. Everybody that -- everything that everybody was telling me out west was that I was in for a rude awakening. But the people here have been amazing. And I've never met so many people that were willing to help us when we moved here, to get established, to getting to know me and my family. I truly love it here. And I'm glad to be here.

UNIDENTIFIED NEWS CORRESPONDENT: (INAUDIBLE QUESTION) PARKER: I keep hearing that. I haven't really had the television on much or anything like that. So I don't quite understand or grasp the grandness of the -- of everybody's support from around the world, other than just the feeling that we get with everybody's prayers.

PARKER: You know, you can never stop being the best parent you can be. You can always be better. You can always be more patient. You can always be more loving and understanding, and willing to accept your children for who they are. I really hope that as I continue to be a dad to my two children that I can just -- if anybody looks back on my life, the number-one thing they can say about me was that I was a great dad and that my children loved me because of the father I was.

Thanks, guys.

Archived