Damien the Leper Posted July 6, 2012 Posted July 6, 2012 I was curious as to whether or not Mormon apologists or FAIR had a response to possible connections between Jacob Cochran (Cochranism) and the early stages of Mormonism.Cochranism promoted:- Plural Marriage- Restoration of Apostolic church- United OrderHere is the link:Cochranism
Tacenda Posted July 6, 2012 Posted July 6, 2012 (edited) I'm not the person you had the question for, but IMHO, yes it did. I think the reason Joseph Smith prayed to get answers is because of so many belief systems popping up. And so many unanswered questions about the hereafter etc. Especially infant baptism concerns. And btw, I think polygamy was more readily accepted because it had been in other religions as well. Edited July 6, 2012 by Tacenda
Calm Posted July 6, 2012 Posted July 6, 2012 Can't find anything online at FAIR. I suggest you email and ask as I bet someone knows something about them....
wenglund Posted July 6, 2012 Posted July 6, 2012 I can't think of a religious sect in existence at the time of the restoration that wouldn't have at least a couple of doctrines/beliefs that loosely overlap with Christ's latter-day Church. It makes for a seemingly in-exhaustible pool from which to quench the thirst for parallel-o-mania. Cochranism is just one of countless.Thanks, -Wade Englund- 2
Damien the Leper Posted July 6, 2012 Author Posted July 6, 2012 I can't think of a religious sect in existence at the time of the restoration that wouldn't have at least a couple of doctrines/beliefs that loosely overlap with Christ's latter-day Church. It makes for a seemingly in-exhaustible pool from which to quench the thirst for parallel-o-mania. Cochranism is just one of countless.Thanks, -Wade Englund-I understand, Wade. I am more curious as to the relationship between Joseph Smith's developing and revelatory theology and the similar tenets held within Cochranism.
Damien the Leper Posted July 6, 2012 Author Posted July 6, 2012 Can't find anything online at FAIR. I suggest you email and ask as I bet someone knows something about them....Will do. Thanks for looking, Calmoriah.
alter idem Posted July 6, 2012 Posted July 6, 2012 I was curious as to whether or not Mormon apologists or FAIR had a response to possible connections between Jacob Cochran (Cochranism) and the early stages of Mormonism.Cochranism promoted:- Plural Marriage- Restoration of Apostolic church- United OrderHere is the link:CochranismI think it's not that surprising because there were other sects over time who incorporated some of these things. If anything, I think it shows that others recognized there had been an 'apostacy' from the early teachings of Christianity and were looking to return to the ancient order of things. That's especially true of the groups who were promoting a united order or communalism mode of living and the apostolic church. Polygamy was practiced at times, but IMO, probably more for convenience of the person practicing it, rather than to restore an ancient teaching.
Damien the Leper Posted July 6, 2012 Author Posted July 6, 2012 I think it's not that surprising because there were other sects over time who incorporated some of these things. If anything, I think it shows that others recognized there had been an 'apostacy' from the early teachings of Christianity and were looking to return to the ancient order of things. That's especially true of the groups who were promoting a united order or communalism mode of living and the apostolic church. Polygamy was practiced at times, but IMO, probably more for convenience of the person practicing it, rather than to restore an ancient teaching.Thank you for the response. But please refer to post #5 in this thread.
selek1 Posted July 6, 2012 Posted July 6, 2012 (edited) I understand, Wade. I am more curious as to the relationship between Joseph Smith's developing and revelatory theology and the similar tenets held within Cochranism.What sort of relationship are you implying existed, Valentinus?You certainly haven't provided any evidence that there is a relationship between Joseph Smith's theology and Cochranism.That's the point Wade and Alter were making.That there are parallels doesn't mean one had anything to do with the other. Edited July 6, 2012 by selek1
Damien the Leper Posted July 6, 2012 Author Posted July 6, 2012 (edited) What sort of relationship are you implying existed, Valentinus?You certainly haven't provided any evidence that there is a relationship between Joseph Smith's theology and Cochranism.That's the point Wade and Alter were making.That there are parallels doesn't mean one had anything to do with the other.Easy, Selek. I'm not implying anything. As I stated in the OP, I am curious as to whether or not Mormon apologists or some person involved with FAIR has any insight or response to a possible connection.I will admit that the LDS church seems less 'original' than I had ever previously believed. This isn't a bad thing...just a personal observation.Edit: I was rude and presumptuous. Sincere apologies, Selek. Edited July 6, 2012 by Valentinus
selek1 Posted July 6, 2012 Posted July 6, 2012 Valentinus: Very well.You are not, of course, the first to notice the parallels, nor to wonder about possible cross-pollinization.Unfortunately, the similarities are largely superficial, and shallow.The Cochranite article you provided above links to OliverCowdery.com, which is (was) run by a former poster on these boards.A cursory review of the links downplays the possibilty that Mormon theology in any way derived from Cochranism, but acknowledges that the similarities made it far easier for Cochranites to convert (more than a decade later) to the Mormon Church.
Damien the Leper Posted July 6, 2012 Author Posted July 6, 2012 Valentinus: Very well.You are not, of course, the first to notice the parallels, nor to wonder about possible cross-pollinization.Unfortunately, the similarities are largely superficial, and shallow.The Cochranite article you provided above links to OliverCowdery.com, which is (was) run by a former poster on these boards.A cursory review of the links downplays the possibilty that Mormon theology in any way derived from Cochranism, but acknowledges that the similarities made it far easier for Cochranites to convert (more than a decade later) to the Mormon Church.I know I'm not the first to recognize the similarities.What ever happened to Uncle Dale? It has been a long time since last posted.I can understand how it would make the transition easier for the Cochranites. Perhaps it is just another path by which Heavenly Father leads us to His church.
Recommended Posts