Dispatches From Basic Training

KevinG

My son is now in his second week of basic training for the Army. We received his first letter and mom and I read it through tears. We also received a nice letter from LDS military relations about our son attending worship service and bringing a great spirit to the class.

There were a couple of lines that really touched me in his letter that I wanted to share here...

"Spiritually and emotionally I have been almost closer to God here than on my mission so perhaps I've grown up. ...Well this may be the last letter you get from me before April so I'll just let you know that I'm healthy, hardworking and motivated, happy (not entirely) but I am full of joy for the blessings the Lord pours upon me daily and upon my platoon mates who are close to my heart. I miss you and love you but I know I will see you again."

Thank God (and I do not say that lightly) for my family and for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

That's a wonderful letter ... you can be justifiably proud. :) Thank him for his [impending] service on my behalf, will you?

Where's he in basic?

Edited by Kenngo1969

I will share everyones greetings and thanks. He is in Ft Benning Georgia - a good thing because we can drive there in about 1 1/2 hours to see his graduation.

He has some LDS (active and non-active) buddies in his platoon who attended church with him the last two weeks. There were also some non-LDS soldiers who wanted to see what Mormons were like. My son said he was as nervous as he was with investigators on the mission. :-)

Those veterans among you who shared your advice were part of a letter including advice from ward members and family who also served. I sealed that wisdom in a letter for him to read on the bus ride to basic. Thanks again for your support.

My son is now in his second week of basic training for the Army. We received his first letter and mom and I read it through tears. We also received a nice letter from LDS military relations about our son attending worship service and bringing a great spirit to the class.

There were a couple of lines that really touched me in his letter that I wanted to share here...

"Spiritually and emotionally I have been almost closer to God here than on my mission so perhaps I've grown up. ...Well this may be the last letter you get from me before April so I'll just let you know that I'm healthy, hardworking and motivated, happy (not entirely) but I am full of joy for the blessings the Lord pours upon me daily and upon my platoon mates who are close to my heart. I miss you and love you but I know I will see you again."

Thank God (and I do not say that lightly) for my family and for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Go Army, I went through Basic at Ft Jackson, SC