And Eq Lesson On Apologetics?

cinepro

Yesterday was the first Sunday of the month, where the EQ presidency gets to pick the lesson topic. Our resident apologist (FARMS published, no less) was chosen to give the lesson, and the lesson was on...LDS Apologetics!

He talked about what "apologetics" is and what "apologists" do, and why it's important to defend the faith. He talked about the different kinds of people we might encounter that need help overcoming issues, and shared several entertaining stories about encounters from his past.

It was an interesting lesson, and I think it was a topic that the class members found interesting.

Yesterday was the first Sunday of the month, where the EQ presidency gets to pick the lesson topic. Our resident apologist (FARMS published, no less) was chosen to give the lesson, and the lesson was on...LDS Apologetics!

I am not sure if that is a good idea for Priesthood. To much conjecture.

What did he claim apologetics do? And what examples did he give?

Side not must one use the label "apologist" in defending the Doctrine of the LDS Faith?

He talked about the different ways we can "defend the faith", and pointed out the ways in which apologetics is different than proselyting.

The funniest story was one particularly objectionable anti-mormon who challenged that he "would join the Church if he could answer a question". After asking a particularly long and multi-faceted, insincere question, the teacher responded "I would answer that, but I'm trying to keep people like you out of the Church" :rofl:

Note to mods: if someone can change the "And" in the header to "An", that would be awesome.

Edited by cinepro

I am not sure if that is a good idea for Priesthood. To much conjecture.

Actually, it might have been due to the recent Church wide instruction on the related issue.

Two Sunday's ago our Ward had a combined Priesthood/Relief Society in which Pastor Robert Jeffers, anti-mormonism, apologetics etc. all was discussed. Good lesson, good discussion. Someone who had experience with anti-mormonism taught the lesson, and it had a spiritual Christ like teaching and conclusions. Thus, it was still focused on the Gospel of Christ and his ways.

He talked about the different ways we can "defend the faith", and pointed out the ways in which apologetics is different than proselyting.

The funniest story was one particularly objectionable anti-mormon who challenged that he "would join the Church if he could answer a question". After asking a particularly long and multi-faceted, insincere question, the teacher responded "I would answer that, but I'm trying to keep people like you out of the Church" :rofl:

That story is absolutely awesome.