Temple Square Art Work

boblloyd91

Several months ago I stumbled across what I think is a Christian Conspiracy website. It had a section called "sinister sites" and one of those places was temple square. The author pointed out the usual pentagrams, masonic symbols etc. that I already knew about. However one thing he pointed out was a woodcarving that depicts Adam and Eve sacrificing fruits and vegetables on an altar with a lamb next to the altar. The author claimed that this was a subtle jab at the sacrifice of Jesus (talking about how it was the sacrifice of Cain), and went off talking about how it indicated how we rely on works rather than grace. I know that the grace/works argument has been beaten like a dead horse, so I won't go into that. I am curious if anyone knows more about this piece of art. Of all the times I've been to temple square I have never noticed a woodcarving like this and was wondering why it would depict Adam and Eve sacrificing plants instead of a lamb. I think the website was called vigilantcitizen.com but I'm not sure exactly. Any info would be much appreciated.

That "subtle jab" is in direct accord with the Bible, as it commands, through Moses, that believers under his law, offer fruits of the field and the grains of the earth as an offering unto God.

It is not a wood carving, it is stone (as far as I know. It is in one of the Visitors' Centers on Temple Square, or was twenty years ago.

Evidently, there is another one, this one looks bronze.

adam-eve-statue.jpg

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

The lamb is right below the altar, and far from a subtle jab at Christ, it is a figurative representation of his future sacrifice as it waits peacefully by the altar on which it will soon be sacrificed.

That "subtle jab" is in direct accord with the Bible, as it commands, through Moses, that believers under his law, offer fruits of the field and the grains of the earth as an offering unto God.

It is not a wood carving, it is stone (as far as I know. It is in one of the Visitors' Centers on Temple Square, or was twenty years ago.

Evidently, there is another one, this one looks bronze.

adam-eve-statue.jpg

Lehi

Let's don't let a little thing like the Bible get in the way...