Interesting Facts...

I was slumming Wikipedia tonight and tumbled to two interesting facts about Rekichskanzler Adolf Hitler and Reichsmarschall Hermann Georing of the Third Reich. These are:

Hitler had a nephew, William Hitler, who fought in World War II as a Hospital Corpsman in the US Navy, and was wounded twice.

Goering had a nephew, Werner, who fought in World War II as a bomber pilot in the US Army Air Force, flying 48 bombing missions over Germany before the war ended. Ironically, his uncle was the commander of the Nazi Luftwaffe.

Werner Goering makes the topic at least loosely related to the purpose of the Board, because he was LDS, his family having converted to the Church while living in Germany! Werner himself was born in SLC.

Odd how things turn out.

okay I am back. I read somewhere...that Hitler's sister was named Paula Wolf or something like that. Adolf told her at some point in the 1930's to change her name back to Wolf because things were heating up. Well, by the end of the war when Germany collapsed the authorities caught up with her to interrogate her to see if she was involved (she wasn't as I recall, she ran some oddities shop and had no involvement) anyways she said that as bad as things got and as terrible a monster Naziism was, Adolf Hitler was still her brother and she could not deny it (touching moment). Another thing she said was paraphrasing, "I told him and I told him he should have become an architect!! ( I love those two points especially as like 4 of my friends are architects-I tell them to think of the possibilities if Hitler didn't kill himself!)

I saw a show on the discovery channel that spoke of the american Hitlers. I believe most of the family (all?) has changed their surname, and i don't blame them.

William Hitler did change his name to Stuart-Houston. After the war he had four sons, the last born in 1965, but none of them (three still living) ever had any biological chilidren. Upon being asked, one of the brothers said that there had been no agreement among the brothers to end the Hitler bloodline, but that it just turned out that way.

okay I am back. I read somewhere...that Hitler's sister was named Paula Wolf or something like that. Adolf told her at some point in the 1930's to change her name back to Wolf because things were heating up. Well, by the end of the war when Germany collapsed the authorities caught up with her to interrogate her to see if she was involved (she wasn't as I recall, she ran some oddities shop and had no involvement) anyways she said that as bad as things got and as terrible a monster Naziism was, Adolf Hitler was still her brother and she could not deny it (touching moment). Another thing she said was paraphrasing, "I told him and I told him he should have become an architect!! ( I love those two points especially as like 4 of my friends are architects-I tell them to think of the possibilities if Hitler didn't kill himself!)

Yes, Wolf was an assumed family name -- Adolf himself used it for security purposes in the days of his political rabble-rousing. Interestingly, Hitler's Eastern Front headquarters was named "Wolf's Lair" -- and it was located about 70 miles from my wife's birthplace!