Factual Basis For Book Of Mormon Vs. Factual Basis For Jesus' Parables

Doug the Hutt

So I started rehashing old ideas that never seem to go away regarding the Book of Mormon.

I always seem to come down to one question --

* Is the Book of Mormon

a 19th century construct or literally an abridgement of other ancient records detailing massive civilizations which once existed somewhere in the New World, who literally practiced Christianity, who literally were annihilated (or not annihilated...depends on which LDS person you ask)

It is obvious to me without recourse to any spiritual testimony that Joseph Smith did not write the Book of Mormon. If you look at what things Joseph Smith did write and the textual "voice(s)" in the Book of Mormon, they are plainly different as red is different from blue. I do not think this takes a particular intelligence or skill set, just like it does not take an advanced degree to tell the difference between red and blue. I do not think it takes an intricate set of explanation or evidence to either explain that Joseph Smith DID write it or DID NOT write it in the face of such a simple comparison where they are simply not the same (Joseph Smith's writings (style) such as his history, versus the Book of Mormon writings (style)).

To say that Joseph Smith did not write the Book of Mormon, it does not necessarily follow so many other things. But just that. It's obvious.

Nevermind- it's not worth it- deleted

So I started rehashing old ideas that never seem to go away regarding the Book of Mormon.

I always seem to come down to one question --

* Is the Book of Mormon

a 19th century construct or literally an abridgement of other ancient records detailing massive civilizations which once existed somewhere in the New World, who literally practiced Christianity, who literally were annihilated (or not annihilated...depends on which LDS person you ask)

I have a question, do you want to depend on just the text for an answer or are you looking at the entire context of the appearance and production of the Book of Mormon for your answer?

Probably not, but I could use a laugh.

<chuckle>

Well, first I was going to just answer the OP "Yes", and leave it at that, but then I thought that would be too obtuse, even for me, and then I was going to answer "It depends on what you mean by 'literal'" but then I figured that would lead to a whole can of beans that I am so tired of going over.

Then I thought of answering with Calmoriah's line in my siggy.

Then I thought:

"Meh-

Why bother? Another few hours out of my life - for what?"

So it really wasn't even funny, unfortunately!! ;)

Archived