Guess who has tickets to Japan

krose

Not to make a terribly tragic situation about me, but...

After over 30 years of trying to get back there (mission '75-'77), I finally got a family trip planned to Japan this year for Spring Break, which for us is the week before Easter. We got our flights and hotels booked last Thursday, the day before the quake.

How's that for good timing?

Now we're just waiting to see what happens with the Fukushima nuclear reactors to decide our next step.

Just in case this is all my fault, I would like to offer my most sincere apology for causing the entire island of Honshu to shiver at the thought of my return.

Seriously, the whole situation over there is heartbreaking. I have to turn away from some of the stories, such as parents hoping desperately to find kids who were ripped from their arms by the water.

I hope your trip works out for you. A relative of mine is supposed to move to an affected area there next month and now he's not sure if it will still happen.

After over 30 years of trying to get back there (mission '75-'77), I finally got a family trip planned to Japan this year for Spring Break, which for us is the week before Easter. We got our flights and hotels booked last Thursday, the day before the quake.

Now we're just waiting to see what happens with the Fukushima nuclear reactors to decide our next step.

Just in case this is all my fault, I would like to offer my most sincere apology for causing the entire island of Honshu to shiver at the thought of my return.

Seriously, the whole situation over there is heartbreaking. I have to turn away from some of the stories, such as parents hoping desperately to find kids who were ripped from their arms by the water.

My wife served in the Sendai Mission (91-92). Our family all went back to Japan last year for 2 weeks. It was a blast! She remembered very little Japanese, but we were able to get around just fine. I think as long as you stay away from the North (Sendai area) you will be just fine. Good luck and have a ball.

My wife served in the Sendai Mission (91-92). Our family all went back to Japan last year for 2 weeks. It was a blast! She remembered very little Japanese, but we were able to get around just fine. I think as long as you stay away from the North (Sendai area) you will be just fine. Good luck and have a ball.

Thanks. We never planned to be in the north. The plan includes mostly from Tokyo south and west. Nine days isn't enough to take in the whole country anyway, and I was in the Nagoya area.

With the US evacuating people now, who knows what the situation will be like in a couple of weeks.

When you went did you stay in traditional inns or western-style hotels? Also, did you buy the rail passes?

Thanks. We never planned to be in the north. The plan includes mostly from Tokyo south and west. Nine days isn't enough to take in the whole country anyway, and I was in the Nagoya area.

With the US evacuating people now, who knows what the situation will be like in a couple of weeks.

When you went did you stay in traditional inns or western-style hotels? Also, did you buy the rail passes?

We actually rented a car. I would not recommend renting a car and I will certainly not do it again if I return. I'm sure I don't need to tell you about driving in Japan . We used the train only a couple of times and we always stayed in western-style hotels (because of the kids). We mainly stayed at a Japanese hotel chain called the Sunroute Hotel (kind of like Howard Johnson). Lots of western style hotel chains wherever you go. Have fun and let me know how it goes.

We actually rented a car. I would not recommend renting a car and I will certainly not do it again if I return. I'm sure I don't need to tell you about driving in Japan . We used the train only a couple of times and we always stayed in western-style hotels (because of the kids). We mainly stayed at a Japanese hotel chain called the Sunroute Hotel (kind of like Howard Johnson). Lots of western style hotel chains wherever you go. Have fun and let me know how it goes.

Wow, driving over there. I can't even imagine.

I had no problem driving on the left side in the UK, but I wouldn't try it on Japanese roads.

I was in Nagoya and thereabouts way back when. We are planning stays in Tokyo, Osaka/Kyoto, and my favorite place, Kanazawa.

I want to get back to Germany one day. Have a great time. :P

Thanks, you two.

It's looking better today. As long as there is no Chernobyl-style meltdown, we're on as scheduled.

Interestingly, Pa Pa, I've been to Germany several times (I'm a huge Schwarzwald fan), and to Spain even more. But as great as Europe is, the fact that we've gone there so many times has made the failure to get back to Japan even more of a thorn in my side.

I'd love to get back to my first part of my mission, Australia. But I know things have really changed. I got on to Google Earth and noticed many of the neighborhoods are different. My second part of my mission was in South Dakota. That one is probably more realistic!