Filling the Measure of Our Creation

MorningStar

It seems like whenever I am searching for one thing in the scriptures, I bump into something else and get sidetracked. I was fascinated while reading D&C 88 as it talks about Celestial Laws, Terrestrial Laws, and Telestial Laws.

First of all, it says that if you can't "abide" the Celestial law, you can't "abide" a Celestial glory. There are different meanings for abide. It can mean to "live in" or to tolerate or accept. I wonder if this means you can't handle Celestial glory if you can't live Celestial laws?

In verse 25 it says:

25And again, verily I say unto you, the earth abideth the law of a celestial kingdom, for it filleth the measure of its creation, and transgresseth not the law

It seems like whenever I am searching for one thing in the scriptures, I bump into something else and get sidetracked. I was fascinated while reading D&C 88 as it talks about Celestial Laws, Terrestrial Laws, and Telestial Laws.

First of all, it says that if you can't "abide" the Celestial law, you can't "abide" a Celestial glory. There are different meanings for abide. It can mean to "live in" or to tolerate or accept. I wonder if this means you can't handle Celestial glory if you can't live Celestial laws?

In verse 25 it says:

25And again, verily I say unto you, the earth abideth the law of a celestial kingdom, for it filleth the measure of its creation, and transgresseth not the law

What is it to fill the measure of our creation?

I feel it might have a little something to do with the philosophical perspective on natural law theory. This is especially prevalent in Spencer W. Kimball's The Miracle of Forgiveness where he labels the practice of homosexuality as being a "crime against nature" which is clearly a natural law perspective. But in light of Mosiah 3:19, there is a balance as to how much our morality is determined by our design.

What is it to fill the measure of our creation?

We fill the measure of our creation (man is that he might have joy) through God's work and glory (the immortality and eternal life of man) by adopting that work and glory for ourselves.

I'm not sure what the earth would have to do to transgress the law; it seems to be stated as a given that it does not, so maybe its spirit is innocent like a child's, and is saved through the merits of Christ.

To fill the measure of our creation is to have complete faith and obedience to our Heavenly Father IMO, also I don't think when the Lord speaks of the Earth transgressing here he literally means the Earth. I think he is saying the people of the Earth as a whole are transgressing the Celestial Law so the Celestial (or paradisaical) Glory cannot return to the Earth.

It's actually saying that the earth "transgresseth not". The earth lives a Celestial law and will die and then be "quickened" (renewed) because of that - as if it is also resurrected.

This Mormonwiki page says:

Christ taught that the earth, too, is a living being, one that was born, suffered and groaned, was baptized with water, will be baptized with fire and die, and then will be resurrected into a state of glory.

I wonder where the reference is for that. I know the earth shook for 3 hours after Christ's crucifixion. Was that the earth suffering?

Filling the measure of your creation means becoming all that you can be, going as far as you can within your capabilities.

That's "all"!

You live up to your full potential- that would be another way to say it.

Filling the measure of your creation means becoming all that you can be, going as far as you can within your capabilities.

That's "all"!

You live up to your full potential- that would be another way to say it.

Bingo! One must go as far as one's capabilities allow - nothing more nothing less. I would assume this to include those who are familiar with the LDS faith but who have made a conscious decision not to convert - you know, "filling the measure of their creation"? :P

Archived