Vex

you that reputation?

If you look under your profile you'll notice a box that says reputation. I believe it comes from the up post that is on the lower right hand side of things... my question is this: If what I have said is accurate, is there a simple means to locate those posts that have garnered the points towards the reputation?

Thank you, I have now just 8 more points to go to reach my goal of 100 RPs by the end of this week...I like this type of goal much better than say one for 100 minutes on the treadmill by the end of this week...

Thank you, I have now just 8 more points to go to reach my goal of 100 RPs by the end of this week...I like this type of goal much better than say one for 100 minutes on the treadmill by the end of this week...

Just gave you one for each post... you only need 6 now :P

Post six more times and I'll oblige.

Edited by mercyngrace

Dang, I'm out of rep points for the night and had one more post to 'approve' in the thread...tomorrow I guess.

---

And WOW, I'm already at 102, wish all my goals were so efficiently filled. You guys must really love me....wub.gif or just really pity me.

Guys bad news... I think each person can only give a reputation to another person once. So if you have a reputation of 65, it means that 65 different people have liked your posts at different times, I think. But I could be wrong 0.o

I dunno about the whole rep system Vex.

In a certain way it's a good thing for the forum. Posters that say cool stuff, get repped. I suppose its a good way to gauge the forum temperature of an individual poster.

In a few ways it's a bad thing and I will share my thoughts.

1. It creates a way to gain "cool points" so to speak, so its likely some who consider such stuff as important will change their posting personality to accommodate.

2. It devalues quality posters who aren't likely to get repped for their statements. Tarski and Bowman come to mind here... smart posters, makes excellent points at times, but their opposing views don't fit the temperature of the forum.

I suppose there are other considerations as well.

I dunno about the whole rep system Vex.

In a certain way it's a good thing for the forum. Posters that say cool stuff, get repped. I suppose its a good way to gauge the forum temperature of an individual poster.

In a few ways it's a bad thing and I will share my thoughts.

1. It creates a way to gain "cool points" so to speak, so its likely some who consider such stuff as important will change their posting personality to accommodate.

2. It devalues quality posters who aren't likely to get repped for their statements. Tarski and Bowman come to mind here... smart posters, makes excellent points at times, but their opposing views don't fit the temperature of the forum.

I suppose there are other considerations as well.

Agreed, this happens alot. I tend to rep people whose post is awesome, though I tend to favor more those with whom I agree with. So it isn't a super-reliable system.

But I also give alot to people who just make posts that are funny or kind or whatever - and I think it helps balance it a tiny bit =).

Guys bad news... I think each person can only give a reputation to another person once. So if you have a reputation of 65, it means that 65 different people have liked your posts at different times, I think. But I could be wrong 0.o

You can only give 1 rep point per post, TAO, but you can +1 many posts by the same person. I clicked +1 on all Cal's posts in this thread, for example and most everyone else, too, until I ran out. You have a limit of 10 a day, though, so if you are fooling around on a thread like this one you run out quick. oops :P And you can't rep your own posts.

Before the last board update jwhitlock started a similar thread in the social hall where the details of the process all got worked out.

IMO, it's all silliness anyway - who really cares about rep points - you only see them on the profile page I think and the only profile I regularly look at is my own because I use my status updates to store quotes I like - like an online notebook. ;)

Edited by mercyngrace

But I also give alot to people who just make posts that are funny or kind or whatever - and I think it helps balance it a tiny bit =).

Yeah.. in a system where rep exists, repping "funnies" makes sense.

sort of like tipping a comedian at a comedy bar.

Sometimes I just rep people cause I think they are cool for some reason and feel randomly inclined to do so.

Edited by Mudcat

Seriously, I like the rep points solely as a way of knowing that something I said struck a cord with someone.

Otherwise, I look on it just like I look on my post count...doesn't really say much of me as a person...but it does look impressive, doesn't it? :P

IMO, it's all silliness anyway - who really cares about rep points - you only see them on the profile page I think and the only profile I regularly look at is my own because I use my status updates to store quotes I like - like an online notebook. :P

Last time I noticed was for that other thread and before that, I had never looked. I think most posters are going to be that way. They'll more likely pay attention to responses in threads to see if people like then.

Seriously, I like the rep points solely as a way of knowing that something I said struck a cord with someone.

Otherwise, I look on it just like I look on my post count...doesn't really say much of me as a person...but it does look impressive, doesn't it? :P

There is something to be said for the affirmation that you said something cool to somebody.

You can only give 1 rep point per post, TAO, but you can +1 many posts by the same person. I clicked +1 on all Cal's posts in this thread, for example and most everyone else, too, until I ran out. You have a limit of 10 a day, though, so if you are fooling around on a thread like this one you run out quick. oops :fool: And you can't rep your own posts.

Before the last board update jwhitlock started a similar thread in the social hall where the details of the process all got worked out.

IMO, it's all silliness anyway - who really cares about rep points - you only see them on the profile page I think and the only profile I regularly look at is my own because I use my status updates to store quotes I like - like an online notebook. :crazy:

I ran out of rep points... couldn't give you one. :P;):crazy::)

Edited by TAO