General Conference

DeepThinker

I appreciated President Uchtdorf's Priesthood Session talk, especially as it related to the current heated political environment. Elder Cook gave a similiar talk in a previous conference address.

I have noticed (and all I can speak for is one southern California ward) a definite increase in political rhetoric in our ward. It comes out in Priesthood meetings and from hearing some of sacrament prayers, you'd think our country was under a dictatorship ,as you listen to members plead for the salvation of the United States.

I'm definately not trying to start politcial discussion (which would be short-lived), but does it seem to anybody else, like some members are so emotional about the current politcal situation, that it leaks into Church communication. ? I even had a Stake Presidency member give me his political views during a Temple Recommend Interview !

I'm definately not trying to start politcial discussion (which would be short-lived), but does it seem to anybody else, like some members are so emotional about the current politcal situation, that it leaks into Church communication. ? I even had a Stake Presidency member give me his political views during a Temple Recommend Interview !

I live in Canada, and we tend to be more tolerant of each others political views here. Certainly, I've rarely heard any type of political rhetoric spoken from the pulpit. Though I have visited with lots of American LDS, and I have to say I've yet to meet a Democrat...

H.

I appreciated President Uchtdorf's Priesthood Session talk, especially as it related to the current heated political environment. Elder Cook gave a similiar talk in a previous conference address.

I have noticed (and all I can speak for is one southern California ward) a definite increase in political rhetoric in our ward. It comes out in Priesthood meetings and from hearing some of sacrament prayers, you'd think our country was under a dictatorship ,as you listen to members plead for the salvation of the United States.

How do you expect a political thread not to go political? The reason members plead for the salvation of the United States is because the constitution and what it represents is under attack by some in high places.

I live in Canada, and we tend to be more tolerant of each others political views here. Certainly, I've rarely heard any type of political rhetoric spoken from the pulpit. Though I have visited with lots of American LDS, and I have to say I've yet to meet a Democrat...

There is, it would seem, hope for the Republic yet. :P

Well, if the Constitution and Declaration are your frames of reference, we are, at this point, a semi-enslaved people. So are the Brits, Canadians, and Western Europeans, though we are still a bit behind them in our decline.

The political fears are well, well grounded.

President Uchtdorf's talk wasn't really about politics. He did mention it, but only in passing.

I'm more interested in how he said sports are a laboratory for seeing Pride at work.

I saw it as a direct repudiation of Max Hall. :P

Well, if the Constitution and Declaration are your frames of reference, we are, at this point, a semi-enslaved people. So are the Brits, Canadians, and Western Europeans, though we are still a bit behind them in our decline.

The political fears are well, well grounded.

Thanks. I think you've validated my observations.

President Uchtdorf's talk wasn't really about politics. He did mention it, but only in passing.

I'm more interested in how he said sports are a laboratory for seeing Pride at work.

I think politics was one of the areas he was referring to. (some analogy about colors).

I'm glade pride is never an issue with sports in the church.....

Except of course, when I saw the police called to breakup a stake baseball game fight ...

or when a member of our ward eventually left the church over a softball game.....

or when an opposing coach tried to win the game because one of our team members didn't have matching sock colors.....

or when the Stake President finally had to cancel the Adult sports program.

Here is a second SoCa ward member that would agree with you regarding the level of rhetoric. Listening to President Uchtdorf's priesthood session talk I couldn't help but think of Jon Stewart tongue in cheek rally to restore sanity. One of his ads for the rally said " We will only be there until six because we have babysitters. :P

I think politics was one of the areas he was referring to. (some analogy about colors).

Except of course, when I saw the police called to breakup a stake baseball game fight ...

or when a member of our ward eventually left the church over a softball game.....

or when an opposing coach tried to win the game because one of our team members didn't have matching sock colors.....

I think a thread of 'The most interesting thing I have seen at a church sponsored sporting event" would be a great topic.

Hi DT,

I was especially impressed by Elder Uchtdorf's talk in Priesthood. I would go so far as to say that all of his Priesthood session addresses have been particularly seminal since his calling to the 1st Presidency.

I think it a mistake to make this a political thread & see it closed, & thus ignore the real substance of his talk & its many talking points.

Just off the top of my head.....

Pride - The original sin? Displayed by Lucifer at the Council in Heaven.

Also, the correcting of a long held & popular misconception of the intent of Spencer W Kimballs address on pride & it's subsequent effect upon members.(Edited... apparently it was Pres Benson's talk, sorry)

The importance of overcoming low self worth.

The culture of Pride in sports, leading to the demonisation of the opposition & it's supporters. Taking unwarranted delight in a rivals discomfort.

I think there's more to get our collective teeth into in just these hastily remembered bullet points, than descending into the usual political diatribe.

Below is a summary that I copied by Kent Larsen on Times & Seasons about the talk;

Great self-depricating joke:

I thought his remarks were very good and thought provoking.

I understand entirely what he means when he talks about sports. His politics reference probably applies to the US mostly - it isn't an issue here in the UK, especially at church. It isn't mentioned ....ever! In fact, in British society there are two absolute no-no's when it comes to discussions amongst friends and aquaintences - poltics and religion. You just do not go there. I have no idea how my friends or family vote nor they me. I wouldn't tell them if they asked and I would not ask them. It's just isn't cricket old chap.

This is a problem to us when the church constantly go on about us inviting non-member friends to be taught by the missionaries - we just can't do it. It is an absolute cultural prohibition. But I digress.

I think I have a lot of pride. I tend to think about myself first and others second, if I'm honest. It is something I need to work on. C. S. Lewis wrote a great deal about pride in Mere Christianity, and it is well worth a read. He states it is the very worst sin of all and he is right.

We are command to pray for leaders and our Nation.

or when byu fires coaches over a lost game.

Yes members of this church and everybody else need to come to there senses,use common sense and quit listening to extremist talk all the time... whenever the current administration is gone the united states will still be hear, we will still be free, we will still have the constitution to adhear too, we will still be strong, we will still be able to vote... and then all the extremists will start all over again with whoever has control at that time. but lets keep it out of the gospel and church!!!~!

Political views expressed in church are never appropriate, IMO, regardless of what views they are.

How do you expect a political thread not to go political? The reason members plead for the salvation of the United States is because the constitution and what it represents is under attack by some in high places.

And has been for decades. But partisans can only recognize it when the other team is in office.

The reason members plead for the salvation of the United States is because the constitution and what it represents is under attack by some in high places.

So true. A president who started two undeclared wars (Art. 1, Sec. 8 ), chose what parts of laws to willfully ignore via signing statements (Art. 1, Sec 7), held prisoners indefinitely without charges (Am. 5 and 6), and conducted searches on citizens without warrants (Am. 4) constituted a serious attack on the US Constitution.

Thankfully, that perpetrator is now out of power. But we should always be vigilant, and work to reverse the damage already done.

So true. A president who started two undeclared wars (Art. 1, Sec. :P, chose what parts of laws to willfully ignore via signing statements (Art. 1, Sec 7), held prisoners indefinitely without charges (Am. 5 and 6), and conducted searches on citizens without warrants (Am. 4) constituted a serious attack on the US Constitution.

Thankfully, that perpetrator is now out of power. But we should always be vigilant, and work to reverse the damage already done.

I was attempting to keep the thread from going political. I knew that some of you just can't keep from spouting the politics of hate and ignorance so was trying to refrain. Thank you.

I was attempting to keep the thread from going political. I knew that some of you just can't keep from spouting the politics of hate and ignorance so was trying to refrain. Thank you.

Why all the vitriol, Brother Eray?

I was merely providing examples verifying your statement that the Constitution is "under attack." Where was the "hate and ignorance," exactly?

Why all the vitriol, Brother Eray?

I was merely providing examples verifying your statement that the Constitution is "under attack." Where was the "hate and ignorance," exactly?

Thankfully, that perpetrator is now out of power. But we should always be vigilant, and work to reverse the damage already done

Archived