Grant Palmer

lostindc

It bothers me, and should bother anybody of integrity, if Louis Midgley's sources are correct in suggesting that Grant Palmer was only able to retain his CES employment (and, thus, to qualify for a CES pension) by disingenuous means.

Yes, and Brent Metcalfe stole the KEP microfilm for the Tanners when he worked at the Church archives as a security guard. And Charles Larson is a "failed high school teacher". You FARMS and FAIR folk have such a great track record when it comes to digging up dirt on perceived enemies of the Church.

You don't do yourselves any favors by repeating this kind of tripe.

It bothers me, and should bother anybody of integrity, if Louis Midgley's sources are correct in suggesting that Grant Palmer was only able to retain his CES employment (and, thus, to qualify for a CES pension) by disingenuous means.

Otherwise, no problem.

Can you be more specific? Is this because he lost his faith? You think that upon losing his faith, he should have walked away from his pension, to the detriment of his family, even if he felt though lacking faith, he could still perform the tasks to which he was assigned?

Or is there something else?

Yes, and Brent Metcalfe stole the KEP microfilm for the Tanners when he worked at the Church archives as a security guard. And Charles Larson is a "failed high school teacher". You FARMS and FAIR folk have such a great track record when it comes to digging up dirt on perceived enemies of the Church.

Has anyone ever accused Metcalfe of acquiring the KEP microfilm for the Tanners? :P

I thought that was Edward Ashment.

I do know that considerable doubt remains concerning Metcalfe's account of his acquisition of the KEP photos (and negatives). Let's just say that there are elements of his story that don't add up. Even so, he never took advantage of his quarter-century monopoly on them. I'm sure he could have made a little money off them, but chose not to. Of course, now I believe I know why he's kept them as secret as possible all these years, but that's another story altogether ... ;)

Someone's feeling feisty.

Has anyone ever accused Metcalfe of acquiring the KEP microfilm for the Tanners? :P

Yes. Juliann used to throw this claim around.

I thought that was Edward Ashment.

I assume this is a joke, but in case you're serious, suffice to say that you're mistaken. Sandra shared with me the identity of her source, and it was neither Brent nor Ed.

Snarl and spit and stereotype all you want, Smith.

Just don't pretend to be friendly to me in Claremont, OK? I've had it with this sort of stuff from you.

You can express your personal contempt till you're blue in the face for all I care. It won't change the apparent facts. (For that, you would need an argument.) What I know of Grant Palmer's later years with CES leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. If that makes you angry, deal with it.

Can you be more specific? Is this because he lost his faith? You think that upon losing his faith, he should have walked away from his pension, to the detriment of his family, even if he felt though lacking faith, he could still perform the tasks to which he was assigned?

Or is there something else?

A substantial portion of the story is laid out in Louis Midgley's "Prying into Palmer.

Because I'll be damned if my tithing dollars are going to pay for some old apostate to sip merlot on the veranda.

My guess is your current tithing dollars are doing no such thing and that said retirement funding would have been made when Mr. Palmer was a contributing member of CES. But, I'm just guessing.

You can express your personal contempt till you're blue in the face for all I care.

Personal contempt? I can't object to Scratchian tactics without being motivated by personal contempt? "Just don't pretend to be friendly to me in Claremont?" What... the... hell.

I have no personal contempt for you, Daniel. In fact, I'm quite fond of you.

But there is no justification for accusing someone of scamming the Church based on anonymous second-hand gossip, and all for the purposes of discrediting said person. If Grant Palmer acted fraudulently, encourage the Church to recoup its losses through legal action. Don't use it as a rhetorical curmudgeon.

I have it on good authority that no tithing funds are used to pay pensions.

But . . . how else will Max Hall's family be compensated for the brutality they suffered at the hands of brutish ewe of ewe fans? It's a deadlock cinch the ewe won't be compensating them.

A substantial portion of the story is laid out in Louis Midgley's "Prying into Palmer.

Thanks. But having read that, I can see why you might dislike him, or find him dishonest in his writings, but the article did not present an argument he should not be drawing a pension for his years of service. The closest sentence bearing on this issue I could find was this footnote, which suggests otherwise:

It seems that while counseling at the Salt Lake County jail, Palmer had not revealed to his CES supervisors that he was again working on his anti-Mormon book. Even with his sentimental remarks about Jesus at the end of An Insider's View, he was again faced with being in trouble with his associates in CES. Be that as it may, he admits that he simply "could not find an orthodox way out of our foundational problems and thus applied for early retirement."

Again, why is it you think that, were he a man of integrity, he should have walked away from his pension. That a pretty serious allegation. From the interviews I have seen, Palmer seems like a very nice man.

Because I'll be damned if my tithing dollars are going to pay for some old apostate to sip merlot on the veranda.

But isn't that a matter for the Brethren to discern and decide how tithing dollars be spent, without being transparent to the members/tithe payers?

Personal contempt? I can't object to Scratchian tactics without being motivated by personal contempt? "Just don't pretend to be friendly to me in Claremont?" What... the... hell.

I have no personal contempt for you, Daniel. In fact, I'm quite fond of you.

I have to second this. I too, am sincerely quite fond of you, Daniel. We disagree on many things but disagreement does not lead to dislike. Sure, I don't like some of the things you write or your tone when writing.... I'm sure you would vehemently dislike my writing and my tone.

In any case, I just wanted it to be understood that just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean that I don't like you. Hell, I'm sure we would have great conversation over a root beer.

But . . . how else will Max Hall's family be compensated for the brutality they suffered at the hands of brutish ewe of ewe fans? It's a deadlock cinch the ewe won't be compensating them.

I'm not sure how all of this relates at all to Palmer.... but I do agree with you. If Hall's family suffered legal injury, they should be compensated.

I'm not sure how all of this relates at all to Palmer.... but I do agree with you. If Hall's family suffered legal injury, they should be compensated.

Reductio ad absurdam.

Archived