S. Tanner On Bible Answer Man

Ron Beron

Sandra Tanner was a guest for the last two days (16th and 17th) on Hank Hanegraff's Bible Answer Man and did her usual best to disparage the Mormons and the church. In the first 15 minutes she was able to get out several falsehoods about Mormon philosophy. One is that Mormons use "their" terminology as if they owned copyright on it. While Mormons use such terminology we really mean something else. She also stated that we believe that God, Jesus, the angels and Satan are all the same "species", whatever that means. My favorite is Tanner's assertion that Mormon's believe that God was actually a "human" that lived on another "Earth". Hank goes further and states that S. Tanner knows more about Mormonism than anyone else. cough...cough...

Other highlights includes her assertions that Mormons brainwash our young, condemn those who read materials outside Mormonism, etc.

While I usually shun decrying the EV's take on Mormonism I couldn't help but feel this women is loopy and really pathetic. Has anyone had any experiences with the Tanner's on a one-to-one basis?

Hank goes further and states that S. Tanner knows more about Mormonism than anyone else. cough...cough...

Well, Ron, that's what happens when you've been a Mormon for life, served in all the positions from lay to prophet, lived all over the world, including the Church archives, and still end up with 95% error in your footnotes. Or something like that.

Sandra Tanner was a guest for the last two days (16th and 17th) on Hank Hanegraff's Bible Answer Man and did her usual best to disparage the Mormons and the church. In the first 15 minutes she was able to get out several falsehoods about Mormon philosophy. One is that Mormons use "their" terminology as if they owned copyright on it. While Mormons use such terminology we really mean something else. She also stated that we believe that God, Jesus, the angels and Satan are all the same "species", whatever that means. My favorite is Tanner's assertion that Mormon's believe that God was actually a "human" that lived on another "Earth". Hank goes further and states that S. Tanner knows more about Mormonism than anyone else. cough...cough...

Other highlights includes her assertions that Mormons brainwash our young, condemn those who read materials outside Mormonism, etc.

While I usually shun decrying the EV's take on Mormonism I couldn't help but feel this women is loopy and really pathetic. Has anyone had any experiences with the Tanner's on a one-to-one basis?

That had to be boring...both are not exactly great orators

In the first 15 minutes she was able to get out several falsehoods about Mormon philosophy. One is that Mormons use "their" terminology as if they owned copyright on it. While Mormons use such terminology we really mean something else.

An example is "salvation".

She also stated that we believe that God, Jesus, the angels and Satan are all the same "species", whatever that means.

It means that they are all the literal children of the Father and were created in His image.

My favorite is Tanner's assertion that Mormon's believe that God was actually a "human" that lived on another "Earth".

OK, sounds like something JS said. Christ did what he saw His Father do.

Hank goes further and states that S. Tanner knows more about Mormonism than anyone else. cough...cough...

If that is true, we have not done a very good job since so many of our youth become inactive.

Ah man I don't like Hank. I called in his show once to challenge something he had said and he just used typical radio tactics to get me off the air and change the subject. He talked talked talked talked leaving no room for me to respond and slowly but surely changed the subject, then suddenly it was commercial time.

Sargon

I've had several personal dealings with them over the years. Sandra is very careful of what she will promote and what she will not. She likes to just stick with plain proven facts, no speculation - at least that is where she and her husband were since the 90's, before that I have no personal knowledge about then than they have told in their own words.

I'm no Hank Hanegraff fan. I can hardly stand the man, but that is another issue. Aside from Hank, and your relay of topic/views related above, I marvel that you marvel at EVs take on Mormonism. I really don't think Mormons understand EVs any more than EVs understand Mormons. Just go through the archeives here of topics relating to the ones mentioned above.

1. Mormons do have differing definitions than EVs or orthodox Christians of key doctrinal words.

true

2. God, Jesus, the angels and Satan are all the same "species"? I've seen a number of discussions here that have skirted or directly been on this topic. The whole thing, to me, centers on the belief LDS have that God and Jesus appeared to JS in the flesh and blood and bones. Jesus never declared God as such, and in fact said if you had seen Him you had seen the Father, but that no man had seen the Father. So was Jesus calling Job a liar? Or was Jesus stating fact? If God is flesh and bones as LDS believe, then why the need for the Son to be manifest in the flesh??? Enough on that. Read your own Gospel Principles. I don't think she made anything up, but pretty much told the truth.

true

3. Mormon's believe that God was actually a "human" that lived on another "Earth". Ever sing the song "If You Could Hie to Kolob"? Since we know Kolob is not a biblical word and that it is a peculiar LDS word, we know where it came from and what that book plainly says as what JS plainly said on the topic.

true

So, in review, don't be upset at Ms Tanner for her telling of what she believes is true. I don't think you will convince anyone outside your fellowship that she was not telling the truth - there is too much info to back up her claims. Maybe you should quit listening to Hank's show.

John 17

"Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You. You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him. And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do. And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was."

I've had several personal dealings with them over the years. Sandra is very careful of what she will promote and what she will not. She likes to just stick with plain proven facts, no speculation - at least that is where she and her husband were since the 90's, before that I have no personal knowledge about then than they have told in their own words.

I'm no Hank Hanegraff fan. I can hardly stand the man, but that is another issue. Aside from Hank, and your relay of topic/views related above, I marvel that you marvel at EVs take on Mormonism. I really don't think Mormons understand EVs any more than EVs understand Mormons. Just go through the archeives here of topics relating to the ones mentioned above.

1. Mormons do have differing definitions than EVs or orthodox Christians of key doctrinal words.

true

2. God, Jesus, the angels and Satan are all the same "species"? I've seen a number of discussions here that have skirted or directly been on this topic. The whole thing, to me, centers on the belief LDS have that God and Jesus appeared to JS in the flesh and blood and bones. Jesus never declared God as such, and in fact said if you had seen Him you had seen the Father, but that no man had seen the Father. So was Jesus calling Job a liar? Or was Jesus stating fact? If God is flesh and bones as LDS believe, then why the need for the Son to be manifest in the flesh??? Enough on that. Read your own Gospel Principles. I don't think she made anything up, but pretty much told the truth.

true

3. Mormon's believe that God was actually a "human" that lived on another "Earth". Ever sing the song "If You Could Hie to Kolob"? Since we know Kolob is not a biblical word and that it is a peculiar LDS word, we know where it came from and what that book plainly says as what JS plainly said on the topic.

true

So, in review, don't be upset at Ms Tanner for her telling of what she believes is true. I don't think you will convince anyone outside your fellowship that she was not telling the truth - there is too much info to back up her claims. Maybe you should quit listening to Hank's show.

So, should we quit critiquing her for the mis-/disinformation she is spreading around, even if she is doing it believing that it is the absolute truth?

I just love the part of the quote where she said that Mormons were acting if they owned the copyright of their terminology when many EVers and mainstreamers act as if they own the copyright on the word "Christian

I did listen this Interview, and I do agree with you most part. This woman never rose above medicrity

because of her fundamentalist style, Hank is even worse.

Ah man I don't like Hank. I called in his show once to challenge something he had said and he just used typical radio tactics to get me off the air and change the subject. He talked talked talked talked leaving no room for me to respond and slowly but surely changed the subject, then suddenly it was commercial time.

Sargon

We have a program here by one Paul McGuire that is more offensive than Hank's show. I heard Paul say that if you believe you have to be baptized that you have fallen from grace because being baptized is a work and if you believe in works you have fallen from grace and are thereby damned to hell. How on earth can he say those who obey Jesus are damned to hell? Jesus commanded to make disciples, baptize them and teach them everything He had taught them. I wonder what heaven Paul McGuire will be in if it is different than the one those saved at Pentecost are in?:-)

They witness of themselves and are not true. The only truth is the witness of Jesus Christ being true and that Jesus declared "Thy word is truth" and Jesus only gave us the words the Father gave Him to give to us.

I sincerely have come to believe that the 'common' EV doctrine of salvation is iniquity/lawlessness in that they despise the commandments of God and reject them.

"Come quickly Lord Jesus"

I'll put my trust in the fact that God is coming to judge the earth with justice and equity.

She also stated that we believe that God, Jesus, the angels and Satan are all the same "species", whatever that means.
It means precisely that and in my opinion is accurate terminology. It was terminology used frequently by several early brethren such as Brigham Young and Parley P. Pratt. Here is one example:
Now follow our fathers further back and take those who first came to the island of Great Britain, were they the same species of beings as those who came to America? Yes, all acknowledge this; this is upon natural principles. Thus you may continue and trace the human family back to Adam and Eve, and ask, "are we of the same species with Adam and Eve?" Yes, every person acknowledges this; this comes within the scope of our understanding.

But when we arrive at that point, a vail is dropt, and our knowledge is cut off. Were it not so, you could trace back your history to the Father of our spirits in the eternal world. He is a being of the same species as ourselves; (Brigham Young, JD 4:42)

Only heard a brief part of one day of the interviews. A Mormon had called in and complained how they could deny him, from their perspective, salvation since he confessed a belief in Christ. The basic response was, doesn't matter if you think you believe in God, you don't believe in the right God and so are damned. A less basic response was that because you believe in temple ordinances, you are damned. Silliness.

We have a program here by one Paul McGuire that is more offensive than Hank's show. I heard Paul say that if you believe you have to be baptized that you have fallen from grace because being baptized is a work and if you believe in works you have fallen from grace and are thereby damned to hell. How on earth can he say those who obey Jesus are damned to hell? Jesus commanded to make disciples, baptize them and teach them everything He had taught them. I wonder what heaven Paul McGuire will be in if it is different than the one those saved at Pentecost are in?:-)

They witness of themselves and are not true. The only truth is the witness of Jesus Christ being true and that Jesus declared "Thy word is truth" and Jesus only gave us the words the Father gave Him to give to us.

I sincerely have come to believe that the 'common' EV doctrine of salvation is iniquity/lawlessness in that they despise the commandments of God and reject them.

"Come quickly Lord Jesus"

I'll put my trust in the fact that God is coming to judge the earth with justice and equity.

You know Neighbor, I have to agree with you here. Sometimes people take it too far.

Wait a minute! I thought that he said that about Marion Bodine just a few years ago! Her and Sandra Tanner were contemporaries so I suppose that Sandra Tanner was Second-Fiddle until Bodine died. I remember reading about that somewhere on the Internet. Anyone remember where that was? I seem to remember being surprised to hear that considering how stupidly formulated her writings were. I even downloaded the sound byte because I thought it was so funny. Let me see...here it is! I have attached it to this post.

bodine.wav

I don't know about anyone else but I would have taken Hank's comment as an insult knowing how bad Bodine's writings and facts are from the samples I have seen. :P

Ms Tanner is an old enemy of the truth from way back. I never met her personally but I have been aquainted with her through her "research" she is the master of the use of elipses...and the out of context quote. I first heard of her and her husband while I was on my Mission (1979-1981) another Missionary had a book by them that I recall was about the size of an old Auto mechanic repair manual or a library dictionary. What I remember most about this infernal book was the photos of Temple ceremonies being acted out...it was quite offensive. It is true there is such a thing as "Mormon jargon" and it is also true that words from the Bible (in public domain last I looked) has a different meaning the way we interpret it from the way "they" interpret it. For example this scripture:
(Revelation 3:21) "To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne."
I am not sure how Ms Tanner and the Bible Answer Man interpret this scripture but Mormons or LDS interpret it to mean that we can become as Jesus and His Father is...a God. So the idea the Gods, angels, and men are all of the same species is not so outrageous after all. We are the "offspring of God" as Paul states, and if sons then heirs, joint heirs with Jesus Christ the firstborn of all the Father's spirit children. I know she loves throwing in the part about Satan also being a "son of God" for shock value, but the truth is he was cast out of heaven for rebellion and is denied an inheritance of a body of flesh and bone. As for God having been a man on another earth, yes, Jesus said that He did only "what He saw His father do." I am assuming that He (the Father) did those things on another earth. The reason the Father could not come to this earth as Jesus did was because He already had a resurrected body of flesh and bone.

As for Ms Tanner knowing more about Mormonism than anyone else, I hope for her sake that is not true, because that would make of her a "daughter" of perdition.

And the old favorite.. "brainwashing" our children...well if the Holy Ghost is a sanctifier and cleanses us from all sin then yes I hope we all are "brainwashed" and not our brains only but our entire souls.

What "outside materials" is she refering to? Her Anti-Mormon drivel? I suppose she has made a comfortable living off her "kicking against the pricks."

Only heard a brief part of one day of the interviews. A Mormon had called in and complained how they could deny him, from their perspective, salvation since he confessed a belief in Christ. The basic response was, doesn't matter if you think you believe in God, you don't believe in the right God and so are damned. A less basic response was that because you believe in temple ordinances, you are damned. Silliness.

I wonder if people who are so quick to damn others to Hell (in and out of the Church) have ever taken the time to read Romans 2. Paul seems to say in this chapter that those who damn others to Hell in this life are just doing it to themselves.

I read Mormonism Shadow or Reality, and Major Problems in Mormonism. I was LDS, but became a member of the Community of Christ/RLDS church. She and her late husband may know a lot, but they did not persuade me to become Evangelical. I continue to use the Book of Mormon as scripture.

I don't believe EV terminology, so of course I have my own terminology. They hardly control the definition of words as is they think God himself wrote their definitions for them. Contrary to what they say the authority for these definitions did not come from the Bible, but rather from extra-Biblical authority.

Ms Tanner is an old enemy of the truth from way back. I never met her personally but I have been aquainted with her through her "research" she is the master of the use of elipses...and the out of context quote. I first heard of her and her husband while I was on my Mission (1979-1981) another Missionary had a book by them that I recall was about the size of an old Auto mechanic repair manual or a library dictionary. What I remember most about this infernal book was the photos of Temple ceremonies being acted out...it was quite offensive. It is true there is such a thing as "Mormon jargon" and it is also true that words from the Bible (in public domain last I looked) has a different meaning the way we interpret it from the way "they" interpret it. For example this scripture:I am not sure how Ms Tanner and the Bible Answer Man interpret this scripture but Mormons or LDS interpret it to mean that we can become as Jesus and His Father is...a God. So the idea the Gods, angels, and men are all of the same species is not so outrageous after all. We are the "offspring of God" as Paul states, and if sons then heirs, joint heirs with Jesus Christ the firstborn of all the Father's spirit children. I know she loves throwing in the part about Satan also being a "son of God" for shock value, but the truth is he was cast out of heaven for rebellion and is denied an inheritance of a body of flesh and bone. As for God having been a man on another earth, yes, Jesus said that He did only "what He saw His father do." I am assuming that He (the Father) did those things on another earth. The reason the Father could not come to this earth as Jesus did was because He already had a resurrected body of flesh and bone.

As for Ms Tanner knowing more about Mormonism than anyone else, I hope for her sake that is not true, because that would make of her a "daughter" of perdition.

And the old favorite.. "brainwashing" our children...well if the Holy Ghost is a sanctifier and cleanses us from all sin then yes I hope we all are "brainwashed" and not our brains only but our entire souls.

What "outside materials" is she refering to? Her Anti-Mormon drivel? I suppose she has made a comfortable living off her "kicking against the pricks."

I simply must respond. I think this is a great post. Well thought out. This is how I feel about the whole situation.

Sargon

I agree. It seems his show has become a giant infomercial designed to sell the most recent evangelical "have to buy".

Wow. Eveybody is jumping on Tanner for misrepresentation, but I haven't seen any documentation of that. Oh, I know she has made blunders, and I think her fundamentalist approach to scripture seriously colors her understanding of LDS doctrine. But as far a the BAM broadcast goes, what exactly did she say that was in error? Unless I read past something important, her only statements I have seen so far on this thread are correct ones.

Wow. Eveybody is jumping on Tanner for misrepresentation, but I haven't seen any documentation of that. Oh, I know she has made blunders, and I think her fundamentalist approach to scripture seriously colors her understanding of LDS doctrine. But as far a the BAM broadcast goes, what exactly did she say that was in error?

Ill give you one. One is that Mormons use "their" terminology as if they owned copyright on it.

Not taht this is false but it is a misrepresentation. She is trying to sensatinalise* this. Everybody uses terminology to mean diffrent things. Howver as an LDS I dont claim to have an exclusive right to say the word "salvation" or "grace" or even "christian" as some of the friends of the church say.

I must confess doesnt the church have a copyright on the word "anti-mormon". Lol!!

Sargon

Someone I personally know tried calling into the live show when he had Ed Decker on a few years ago. As soon as the operator answered they put him in the queue to go on the air. Then, a few minutes later, the operator came back on and asked, "What is your name again?" As soon as they heard his name, they told him something to the effect that: "I'm sorry but the show was taped two days in advance." And then they hung up on him. No goodbye and no other pleasantry. It was quite hilarious, to say the least.

Hank goes further and states that S. Tanner knows more about Mormonism than anyone else.

Exactly who decided that this was the case other than perhaps Mrs. Tanner and Hank? Seems to me if this is true, than no LDS would ever have a problem with Mrs Tanner views on the LDS faith since we would all be agreement. So either all LDS don't know what the LDS faith teaches or Mrs. Tanner is on one that really does not know. Seems to me the answer to that question is fairly easy to solve.

Wow. Eveybody is jumping on Tanner for misrepresentation, but I haven't seen any documentation of that. Oh, I know she has made blunders, and I think her fundamentalist approach to scripture seriously colors her understanding of LDS doctrine. But as far a the BAM broadcast goes, what exactly did she say that was in error? Unless I read past something important, her only statements I have seen so far on this thread are correct ones.

I was thinking the same thing. From the items listed on the BAM program the only questionable one would be the "copyright" criticism. Even that is a matter of perspective. As a christian living in Utah you might become a little bit annoyed when people talk about "The Church" or "The Priesthood" or "The Gospel". For example many Christians would recognize the term "The Church" as referring to The Body of Christ not to their specific denomination.

We have seen the LDS church in the news recently claiming that fundamentalist Mormons should not able to call themselves Mormon and the press should not refer to them as such. For the many branches of the restorationist movement I'm sure it's offensive to have the Salt Lake Church claim sole ownership of the term Mormon.

Phaedrus

I have been in to her store a time or two and spoken with her. As long as she isn't talking about Mormonism, FARMS or Louis Midgley, she is a pleasant woman. But as soon as she begins speaking about anyof those things, her demeanor changes and becomes instantly bitter, her tone changes, and becomes nasty. I am amazed at the change every time I see it. But like I said, when she isn't speaking about those things, she is a really nice lady.

Archived