Seriously No Politics ×

Are There Names For The 3 Degrees Of Celestial Heaven?

AddamS

Thank you all for the sincere and informative answers. I am surprised that no one said "Shadrach, Meshack, and Abednego" or "Moe. Larry, and Curly".

But seriously, I have a fair understanding about The Outer Darkness, Telestial, and Terrestial but am confused by the different levels of the Celestial. What are the names (if any) and what are the differences?

**Edited for glaring spelling errors**

Are there names for the 3 degrees of Celestial Heaven? If so, what are they?

Thanks!

THere is the upper the middle and the lower level.

:P

In all seriousness there has been no official name to them other than to state there are 3 levels in the CK.

In all seriousness there has been no official name to them other than to state there are 3 levels in the CK.

Interesting. Thank you for the actual response. Does it seem odd to anybody else that there aren't names? I am certainly not debating the answer or saying that not having names makes anything invalid.

What are the differences?

Interesting. Thank you for the actual response. Does it seem odd to anybody else that there aren't names? I am certainly not debating the answer or saying that not having names makes anything invalid.

Maybe this will help (bolding mine):

The Celestial Kingdom

The Lord compared celestial glory to that of the sun, â??even the glory of God, the highest of allâ? (D&C 76:70; see also D&C 76:96). Those who will inherit this kingdom must do the following:

â?¢ Receive a testimony of Jesus and believe on His name (see D&C 76:51).

â?¢ Be baptized by immersion (see D&C 76:51).

â?¢ Receive the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands (see D&C 76:52).

â?¢ Obey the commandments and be washed and cleansed of all sins (see D&C 76:52).

â?¢ Overcome by faith (see D&C 76:53).

â?¢ Be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise (see D&C 76:53).

Those who qualify for the celestial kingdom will receive, among other blessings:

â?¢ Be of a company of angels, of the general assembly and church of Enoch and of the Firstborn (see D&C 76:54, 67).

â?¢ Receive the fulness, glory, and grace of the Father (see D&C 76:55, 56, 94).

â?¢ Be priests and kings of the Most High God (see D&C 76:56â??59).

â?¢ Overcome all things (see D&C 76:60).

â?¢ Dwell forever in the presence of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ (see D&C 76:62).

â?¢ Be with Christ at the time of His Second Coming (see D&C 76:63).

â?¢ Come forth in the First Resurrection (see D&C 76:64â??65).

â?¢ Go up unto Mount Zion and unto the heavenly city of God (see D&C 76:66).

â?¢ Minister to terrestrial and telestial beings (see D&C 76:87â??88).

â?¢ Be able to have offspring, or in other words, gain the right to become eternal parents (see D&C 131:4).

The Lord further revealed the important doctrines of salvation for the dead and salvation of little children in the celestial kingdom:

â??All who have died without a knowledge of this gospel, who would have received it if they had been permitted to tarry, shall be heirs of the celestial kingdom of God;

â??Also all that shall die henceforth without a knowledge of it, who would have received it with all their hearts, shall be heirs of that kingdom; â?¦

â??â?¦ All children who die before they arrive at the years of accountability are saved in the celestial kingdom of heavenâ? (D&C 137:7â??8, 10). Except for those whose mental abilities prevent them from reaching the age of accountability (see D&C 29:50), the age of accountability is eight (see D&C 68:25).

We do not know much about who will inherit two of the three degrees within the celestial kingdom. However, much has been said about the highest level in the celestial kingdom, or exaltation, because that is where the Father wants all of His children to live (see Moses 1:39). The Doctrine and Covenants teaches that temple marriage is the key to obtaining exaltation:

â??In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees;

â??And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage];

â??And if he does not, he cannot obtain it.

â??He may enter into the other, but that is the end of his kingdom; he cannot have an increaseâ? (D&C 131:1â??4).

â??If a man marry a wife by my word, which is my law, and by the new and everlasting covenant, and it is sealed unto them by the Holy Spirit of promise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the keys of this priesthood; â?¦ and if [they] abide in my covenant â?¦

â??Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting â?¦ because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto themâ? (D&C 132:19â??20).

From: B. Renato Maldonado, â??Messages from the Doctrine and Covenants: The Three Degrees of Glory,â? Ensign, Apr 2005, 62â??65

Maybe this will help (bolding mine):

From: B. Renato Maldonado, â??Messages from the Doctrine and Covenants: The Three Degrees of Glory,â? Ensign, Apr 2005, 62â??65

Thanks for the clarification. As I doubt I will get past the telestial level (if even that) but I was curious about it and could not find much clear info.

I have to say, I'm a little bummed out that I will still be getting knocks on the door from missionaries in the next life too! (Just Kidding, please do not take offense).

Thanks for the clarification. As I doubt I will get past the telestial level (if even that) but I was curious about it and could not find much clear info.

I have to say, I'm a little bummed out that I will still be getting knocks on the door from missionaries in the next life too! (Just Kidding, please do not take offense).

I heard they trade in their bike helmets for nimbi. They do ride some pretty awesome Celestial Huffyâ??s though (Consiglieri should have one), and take them off sweet jumps when they have nothing better to do. Uriel currently holds the distance record, but Raphael thinks he cheated and used his wings.

Maybe it would be interesting to think about the logic of the different levels rather than the actual names-

The highest degre is exclusively for Gods- Married couples

The other two would thus include- angels and helpers.

The lowest degree would have the basic requirement of perfection from ones sins.

All three types of peoples would live and mingle together as family units.

Now what is interesting, having said all that is that in D&C section 76 verse 95 it speaks that within the Celestial Kingdom, "all" citizens are made "equal in power, and in might, and in dominion". So then- if some are Gods and some are angels, then why are all given the same authoritive power and all made equal in their dominions?

Ha! Atleast you have a great attitude. I like that, a guy who can joke.

No, not odd at all.

Reason? Because they are levels of Glory & Authority in the Kingdom of God itself. They are not separate Kingdoms.

No reason to name something that doesn't actually exist, don't you think?

edit: I should clarify given the post by Rob above.

Like Christ is equal to the Father, he is still not the Father, and his duty's are not the same within the Kingdom, yet he is still his own having power, authority, & dominion. So, it's not that people are "lesser" therein, it is something more intricate.

No, not odd at all.

Reason? Because they are levels of Glory & Authority in the Kingdom of God itself. They are not separate Kingdoms.

No reason to name something that doesn't actually exist, don't you think?

Intersting, I had always heard it described as three separate levels. What you are describing is more of a "caste system" in the same kingdom. The three "levels" are levels of "authority" (for lack of a better word). That clears things up, thanks!

Ahhhh! And we must remember in the bible it talks about the one of the glories as numerous

as the stars, hhhmmmmmm??? {lots of possiblilitys !}

<_<

I think a lot of what gets taught in Church depends on what is most necessary for that time.

At the time of the revelation concerning the three levels of the CK, it was necessary to create gradations in the CK because the requirements to enter the CK had already been established, but now there needed to be an impetus for polygamy. You couldn't go back and say that polygamy was essential for entry to the CK, so there had to be a degree within the CK that could only be attained via polygamy, while still accounting for all those who attained the CK but didn't participate in polygamy.

Now that we no longer practice polygamy, we don't need to discuss these gradations. It's an especially touchy subject since now the Church is bending over backwards to make the single adult members feel special and comfortable with their non-married status, when the doctrine states that they will end up as "ministering angels" to those who were able to get married. It's more comforting to believe that single people will find a mate (and everlasting happiness) after this life, and will not be denied any blessing just because they were single. But this is a relatively recent invention, and totally foreign to the "get sealed in this life or else..." thinking of the 1800's.

But to answer the original post, here are the specific gradations of the Celestial Kingdom:

1800's

Lower - Single people

Middle - Monogamous marriages

Higher - Polygamous marriages

Modern

Lower - No one

Middle - No one

Higher - Everyone who makes it to the Celestial Kingdom, since unmarried and unsealed people worthy of Celestial Glory will be given an eternal mate to fulfill their glory.

1800's

Lower - Single people

Middle - Monogamous marriages

Higher - Polygamous marriages

Modern

Lower - No one

Middle - No one

Higher - Everyone who makes it to the Celestial Kingdom, since unmarried and unsealed people worthy of Celestial Glory will be given an eternal mate to fulfill their glory.

Um, I Dont think that last part is true. If they are worthy of the CK and dont get married here, by there own choices, they cannot obtain the highest. As far of the 1800's Interpretations, do you have any refrences for those from reliable church documents or scripture. I am unfamiliar with them.

Archived