Favorite Joseph Smith Quote?

Joseph Antley

-This is an amazing quote with amazing implications. Try reversing the order; it is a wonderful quote.

Beautiful.

You're right. Do you happen to know the source for it?

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 343. I believe it was part of the King Follett discourse.

though maybe this should be moved to the "Fellowship" thread.

I agree that this should be moved to the "Fellowship" thread, I've had an urge to put some not so cordial quotes from Joseph Smith....I must resist....I must resist....I

I agree that this should be moved to the "Fellowship" thread, I've had an urge to put some not so cordial quotes from Joseph Smith....I must resist....I must resist....I

No, I don't want it in the Fellowship forum because it gets less traffic and I doubt the non-LDS look at threads there and I wanted some of their responses. I'm fine with any not-so-cordial quotes...this is the Dialogue forum, after all. And actually I'm curious what quotes you have in mind.

The Savior said, . . . "Blessed are ye when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely for my sake; rejoice and be exceeding glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so persecuted they the Prophets which were before you." Now, dear brethren, if any men ever had reason to claim this promise, we are the men; for we know that the world not only hate us, but they speak all manner of evil of us falsely, for no other reason than that we have been endeavoring to teach the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith (1976), 124; paragraph divisions altered.

I shall speak with authority of the Priesthood in the name of the Lord God, which shall prove a savor of life unto life, or of death unto death. . . . If you wish to go where God is, you must be like God, or possess the principles which God possesses, for if we are not drawing towards God in principle, we are going from Him and drawing towards the devil. . . . Search your hearts, and see if you are like God. I have searched mine, and feel to repent of all my sins.

History of the Church, 4:588; paragraph divisions altered.

"I calculate to be one of the instruments of setting up the kingdom of Daniel by the word of the Lord, and I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world." (HC 6:365)

"It is my meditation all the day and more than my meat and drink to know how I shall make the Saints of God to comprehend the visions that roll like an overflowing surge before my mind." (HC 5:362)

All your losses will be made up to you in the resurrection, provided you continue faithful. By the vision of the Almighty I have seen it.

Another belief I would be happy to hear preached more often in the modern Church. I find it very comforting, but it's only comforting because it's true.

No, I don't want it in the Fellowship forum because it gets less traffic and I doubt the non-LDS look at threads there and I wanted some of their responses. I'm fine with any not-so-cordial quotes...this is the Dialogue forum, after all. And actually I'm curious what quotes you have in mind.

Here are a few examples of some controversial quotes from Joseph Smith that you were curious about:

"God is in the still small voice. In all these affidavits, indictments, it is all of the devil--all corruption. Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet . . . " (History of the Church, Vol. 6, p. 408-409).

". . .I prophesy in the name of the Lord God of Israel, unless the United States redress the wrongs committed upon the Saints in the state of Missouri and punish the crimes committed by her officers that in a few years the government will be utterly overthrown and wasted, and there will not be so much as a potsherd left . . . " (History of the Church, Vol. 5, p. 394.)

"Hence, the doctrine of a plurality of Gods is as prominent in the Bible as any other doctrine. It is all over the face of the Bible . . . Paul says there are Gods many and Lords many . . . but to us there is but one God--that is pertaining to us; and he is in all and through all" (History of the Church, Vol. 6, page 474). "In the beginning, the head of the Gods called a council of the Gods; and they came together and concocted a plan to create the world and people it." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p. 5).

"God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted Man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens...I say, if you were to see him to-day, you would see him like a man in form -- like yourselves, in all the person, image, and very form as a man....it is necessary that we should understand the character and being of God, and how he came to be so; for I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity, I will refute that idea, and will take away and do away the veil, so that you may see....and that he was once a man like us; yea, that God himself the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth the same as Jesus Christ himself did." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p. 3).

"The things of God are of deep import and time and experience and careful and ponderous and solemn thoughts can only find them out. Thy mind O man if thou wilt lead a soul into salvation must search into and contemplate the darkest abyss and the broad expanse of eternity, thou must commune with God."

Here are a few examples of some controversial quotes from Joseph Smith that you were curious about:

"God is in the still small voice. In all these affidavits, indictments, it is all of the devil--all corruption. Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet . . . " (History of the Church, Vol. 6, p. 408-409).

". . .I prophesy in the name of the Lord God of Israel, unless the United States redress the wrongs committed upon the Saints in the state of Missouri and punish the crimes committed by her officers that in a few years the government will be utterly overthrown and wasted, and there will not be so much as a potsherd left . . . " (History of the Church, Vol. 5, p. 394.)

"Hence, the doctrine of a plurality of Gods is as prominent in the Bible as any other doctrine. It is all over the face of the Bible . . . Paul says there are Gods many and Lords many . . . but to us there is but one God--that is pertaining to us; and he is in all and through all" (History of the Church, Vol. 6, page 474). "In the beginning, the head of the Gods called a council of the Gods; and they came together and concocted a plan to create the world and people it." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p. 5).

"God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted Man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens...I say, if you were to see him to-day, you would see him like a man in form -- like yourselves, in all the person, image, and very form as a man....it is necessary that we should understand the character and being of God, and how he came to be so; for I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity, I will refute that idea, and will take away and do away the veil, so that you may see....and that he was once a man like us; yea, that God himself the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth the same as Jesus Christ himself did." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p. 3).

See, that wasn't so hard, was it? I don't have a problem with any of those quotes.

"Ever keep in exercise the principle of mercy, and be ready to forgive our brother on the first intimations of repentance, and asking forgiveness; and should we even forgive our brother, or even our enemy, before he repent or ask forgiveness, our heavenly Father would be equally as merciful unto us."

History of the Church, 3:383.

Excellent post.

:P

Okay, two of my favorites

"Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet. You know my daily walk and conversation. I am in the bosom of a virtuous and good people. How I do love to hear the wolves howl! When they can get rid of me, the devil will also go."

History of the Church Vol. 6, p. 408-412.

"What a thing it is for a man to be accused of committing adultery, and having seven wives, when I can only find one."

History of the Church Vol. 6, p. 408-412.

"Crush the enemy, see him driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women."

No wait! That's Conan......:P

"Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet. You know my daily walk and conversation. I am in the bosom of a virtuous and good people. How I do love to hear the wolves howl! When they can get rid of me, the devil will also go."

History of the Church Vol. 6, p. 408-412

I like this one because it highlights an important verse......

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. John 14:12

And thus the antiMormon is frustrated again.

and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. John 14:12

and I commend the LDS for trying to live up to those standards

And thus the antiMormon is frustrated again.

Joseph Smith's quote reeks of boasting so being "frustrated" didn't seem to cross my mind. Granted that Joseph Smith probably had a good reason for saying this which I may never totally appreciate.

But if you don't mind the quote that's fine.

Amused would be a better term for me in trying to understand the members of my TBM wife's church.

A more light hearted thread. What's your favorite Joseph Smith quote(s)?

"(a response in the affirmative) You want to wrestle?"

... after someone asked him if he was a true prophet, like other true prophets of God.

:P

The old Catholic church traditions are worth more than all you have said. Here is a principle of logic that most men have no more sense than to adopt. I will illustrate it by an old apple tree. Here jumps off a branch and says, I am the true tree, and you are corrupt. If the whole tree is corrupt, are not its branches corrupt? If the Catholic religion is a false religion, how can any true religion come out of it? If the Catholic church is bad, how can any good thing come out of it? The character of the old churches have always been slandered by all apostates since the world began. (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p.375)

Something I have always noticed about ol' Joe is that he always had a very clear view about the logical consequences of his own teachings. That is more than I can say for any of the Reformed theologians, even those I admire. I think there are a several ways to look at this quote, all of which shed light upon the division between Catholic and LDS Christianity.

Mine is "Brethren, adieu."

Have fun, everybody, and take care.

I already preempted this kind of joke, you really ought to read the whole thread next time. :P<_<

â??All your losses will be made up to you in the resurrection, provided you continue faithful. By the visions of the Almighty I have seen it."

-Sermon delivered at Nauvoo temple on Sunday April 16, 1843

"Before you joined this Church you stood on neutral ground. When the gospel was preached good and evil were set before you. You could choose either or neither. There were two opposite masters inviting you to serve them. When you joined this Church you enlisted to serve God. When you did that you left the neutral ground, and you never can get back on to it. Should you forsake the Master you enlisted to serve, it will be by the instigations of the evil one, and you will follow his dictation and be his servant." (in "Recollections of the Prophet Joseph Smith, " Juvenile Instructor, 15 Aug. 1892, 492)

Regards,

Pahoran

That he had as much right to be a false prophet as a true prophet:-)????

What kind of talk is that from a true prophet????

hint, hint:-)

Here's another relevant one:

Doctrine and Covenants 122:

1 The ends of the earth shall inquire after thy name, and fools shall have thee in derision, and hell shall rage against thee;

2 While the pure in heart, and the wise, and the noble, and the virtuous, shall seek counsel, and authority, and blessings constantly from under thy hand.

This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Regards,

Pahoran

Archived