singles ward/marriage beyond 20s

poptart

I've seen this mentioned here, think Robert said it once or so.  How common is marriage in your 30s and beyond?  A while ago think it was him or someone else who mentioned they saw a couple in their 50s get married, for the first time. (I think)

That being said, how often are marriages like that mixed?  I've heard many times wards have more women than men so finding a guy who's stable to be around can be hard.  Also, what's the deal with some LDS couples having a gay husband?  Seen that posted and I can't wrap my head around it.  Gay?  Uh if they managed to be hetero married and have kids they're most likely bi but gay?  Have a real hard time believing that.  Then again, who am I to judge hence why im asking here.  Thanks!

5 hours ago, poptart said:

I've seen this mentioned here, think Robert said it once or so.  How common is marriage in your 30s and beyond?  A while ago think it was him or someone else who mentioned they saw a couple in their 50s get married, for the first time. (I think)

That being said, how often are marriages like that mixed?  I've heard many times wards have more women than men so finding a guy who's stable to be around can be hard. 

Several guys in my ward have never married, for whatever reason, and I do not inquire of them why.  However, these are good guys.  No major defects that I can suss out.  There are also several very good women in my ward who have never married.  This is becoming more common, not less.  Perhaps the "cost" of marriage is simply too high.  Both financial and mental.  Add in children and it can be altogether too demanding.  We may be underestimating the actual costs.

5 hours ago, poptart said:

Also, what's the deal with some LDS couples having a gay husband?  Seen that posted and I can't wrap my head around it.  Gay?  Uh if they managed to be hetero married and have kids they're most likely bi but gay?  Have a real hard time believing that.  Then again, who am I to judge hence why im asking here.  Thanks!

It used to be quite common in America for gay men to marry and have children -- at least as recently as the 1950s around 80% of gay men married and kept their gay preference under wraps.  Among LDS people this continued, with noteworthy examples being the late D. Michael Quinn and Gerald Pearson (husband of Carol Lynn Pearson).  I know of one current example, and wish him and his wife well.  I do not minimize the difficulties.

16 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Several guys in my ward have never married, for whatever reason, and I do not inquire of them why.  However, these are good guys.  No major defects that I can suss out.  There are also several very good women in my ward who have never married.  This is becoming more common, not less.  Perhaps the "cost" of marriage is simply too high.  Both financial and mental.  Add in children and it can be altogether too demanding.  We may be underestimating the actual costs.

It used to be quite common in America for gay men to marry and have children -- at least as recently as the 1950s around 80% of gay men married and kept their gay preference under wraps.  Among LDS people this continued, with noteworthy examples being the late D. Michael Quinn and Gerald Pearson (husband of Carol Lynn Pearson).  I know of one current example, and wish him and his wife well.  I do not minimize the difficulties.

Thats cool, sounds like your ward supports them.  I always had that fear with more conservative orgs here I'd be ostracized.

I've heard that, never really looked into it though.  Ohh boy that must have been miserable. Think one thing for me that made things easy, since most of the women I dated were either not from the mainland or weren't culturally Caucasian American they seemed to just figure the somewhat effeminate tastes came with whatever weird stuff you see here.  I'd never last in a relationship ship with someone will grew up in an LDS background in say Utah/Idaho, I'd slip out so quick when I'd fight over the hello kitty Fuschia apron lol.

On 9/14/2021 at 4:29 PM, The Nehor said:

Should probably invest in getting an extra apron to prevent the conflict.

I never thought of that, man I really feel dumb now.  Huh, could go to DI and make it a couple shopping day if it ever came up.  Thanks, you have some good ideas.  Might have to order the Sailor Moon and/or Madoka aprons off Amazon.