Seriously No Politics ×

“I Can’t Do This to My Bishop”

MorningStar

On 1/17/2021 at 7:58 PM, MorningStar said:

Dear bishops and former bishops,

. . . 

Any advise, bishops?

Not a bishop, but I once served as a branch president a long, long time ago (in this galaxy).  After setting me apart, the stake president gave me as the first task on my plate the holding of a membership council for the previous branch president's wife. Who lived across the street from me.

In my opinion, a new bishop would probably expect such things as you describe to start happening, and he might as well get his baptism by fire from the start. It's much later that he starts thinking "Oh no, not again!" with every new incident.

Get him while he's fresh.

4 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Not a bishop, but I once served as a branch president a long, long time ago (in this galaxy).  ...

Knowing you like I do, I would have thought that it was in "a galaxy far, far away"! ;):D

59 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Knowing you like I do, I would have thought that it was in "a galaxy far, far away"! ;):D

If there's a multiverse copy of me, it's definitely in "a galaxy far, far away." :) 

6 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Not a bishop, but I once served as a branch president a long, long time ago (in this galaxy). ...

2 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

If there's a multiverse copy of me, it's definitely in "a galaxy far, far away." :) 

;):D

If there's a multiverse copy of me somewhere, I hope he's having a lot better luck in that universe than I am in this one! :huh::unknw:

6 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

If there's a multiverse copy of me somewhere, I hope he's having a lot better luck in that universe than I am in this one! :huh::unknw:

I've considered that, and I am still not entirely sure it isn't the case that we do this mortality thing more than once. My thought was this: "Sure you did fine under those circumstances. But what if circumstances were markedly different? Would you still do fine, or would you completely muck it up this time?"  

I think some of us might actually want a do-over.

Edited by Stargazer
(spelling!)
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 6:51 PM, Stargazer said:

I've considered that, and I am still not entirely sure it isn't the case that we do this mortality thing more than once. My thought was this: "Sure you did fine under those circumstances. But what if circumstances were markedly different? Would you still do fine, or would you completely muck it up this time?"  

I think some of us might actually want a do-over.

Lord, no (and that's not meant to be sacrilegious: It's an honest prayer ;))!  If there's something I still need to learn, let me learn it in the next life, not in another one like this one! :rolleyes: <_<

“When you climb up a ladder, you must begin at the bottom, and ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top; and so it is with the principles of the gospel—you must begin with the first, and go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world; it will be a great work to learn our salvation and exaltation even beyond the grave.” on February 12, 2021.

Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith Chapter 22, "Gaining Knowledge of Eternal Truths," accessed on line at https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/teachings-joseph-smith/chapter-22?lang=eng on February 12, 2021.