For Calm..

Hi Calm, I was one of those who were banned from the topic with John Dehlin. I looked over my posts even at the first and couldn't figure out why I got banned. I noticed that you posted something today about possibly banning people and that it may have been a misunderstanding. I really wish I could post on John Dehlin but that's life I guess.

I did want to say how I didn't like how John will say "um" after his sentences. Not to pick on him but I wish he would stop it. I think that he was on top of the world at one point and now it's looking like it's not that great with these once very good friends to turn on him. 

I have nothing against him if he's not guilty of the claims by people. Shocked at Kate Kelly's 180 with him.

MOD:  You were given your last warning last week. You are Limited.

I didn't report you that I can remember so I have no clue why.  I can't ban, I can only report just like everyone else and the mods have never asked me what I want done and often as far as I can tell they don't agree with me. I think I only reported one or two to begin with that were specifically dealing with how the Church wasn't as transparent as Dehlin not too long after  I asked it to be kept on topic and it wasn't to ban, but asking to post a warning, but I was pretty toasted from not the best sleep yesterday, so no guarantees. I might have just reported "off topic" and left it at the mods' discretion without input.

People were for the most part cooperating (I am hoping that was by choice and not banning :) ), it has kept pretty on target and others have added some good info and analysis; it got a bit old explaining what I thought was pretty clear about why I wanted the topic limited, but no big deal.  

You can always start your own thread.  I am perfectly happy for mine to die.  Probably a good idea for someone to start a new one after the podcast anyway.  A long thread gets harder to find things in.  Mine is long enough.

Maybe you could start a thread on what questions you would like to see answered.

PS: the "um" stuff drives me bananas, which is why I try to avoid public speaking as I am sure I would be constantly saying it if I could manage not completely to lose my train of thought.

Edited by Calm

The below is from Tyler Glen's FB post today that popped up. It might bring some light, not sure.

*im adding this top note to the original post to say yes I have spoken to Kate Kelly.

i appreciate her willingness to reach out and to address certain concerns. 
i stand by my friend.
my heart in this post was the defend someone i see suffocating.

my only apology would be to any women that feel this post attacked them. I found so many of the comments and hate being spewed towards John to stray far from the core complaints Made by Kate and Kristy publicly.

for transparancy im keeping the original post, because my comments in defense of john are true.

but i would like to apologize to any women that felt saddened or triggered by my languege. my intent was soley to express my defense for a friend in pain.

grateful to continue to learn how to express myself and grateful for communication.

2764.png❤️

------------------------------------

I’ve read too many things online about my friend to sit back and not say anything.

The allegations Kate Kelly and Kristy Money and the like are spewing against John Dehlinand the OSF are not true, and are, in fact, based in lies.

I stand by this because John is one of my best friends and I know his life, and his work.

John may spread himself thin, he may let too many people in to his circle of trust and he may mess up a bunch. He’d be the first to admit. He may not be your cup of tea, even.

But John is not the hateful and dishonest mess so many are making him out to be.

I have been a part of two public shamings.

Once when I came out of the closet in 2014 for being gay and mormon and the other for publicly leaving the Mormon church and using my music and platform to speak out against the anti-gay rhetoric spewed out by said church.

I’ve read every single lie and miscalculation and spin about me that you could think of.

These “scandals" are destructive and like so much on social media, they take on a life of their own.

I feel the way Kate Kelly and Kristy Money and others are going about this matter is wrong. Previously I thought of you both as a level headed, honest, and earnest truth-seekers, albeit not knowing you as well personally.

Are you seriously going to attempt to destroy John’s life like this? Are you really going to be so classless as to single-handily try to dismantle this man’s life and public image? For what? For feminism? Because you’re bored?

These outlandish claims make me ill, and the hateful speech in comments and in posts against my friend have forced me to comment.

These are lies and manipulations. This is not feminism. I am disgusted watching you manipulate and relentlessly fan these flames that in reality you started yourself.

I know of all the truths behind the claims Kate and Ms. Money have brought up and spun.

John and the OSF have receipts. They have the email conversations. They have the answers to these questions. I just wish that Kristy could admit that she has never made a good-faith effort to resolve these matters, as she claims to have done. Instead she began (with Kate Kelly) a public tirade last fall on Facebook. 
It’s been a plotted attack and now they’re using their divisive language to seemingly take down a nonprofit that is not only honest and upfront, but small and humble and growing. Of all the people and organizations and causes, you’ve decided to go after this one? An organization committed to supporting people in religious transition, saving families, and preventing depression and suicide? Seriously? Way to go. What an amazing contribution.

I think it’d be wise for them (John, the OSF) to respond, and I’m sure they will.

My post here isn’t to speak or respond to these claims, but instead to show my public support for my friend John Dehlin, and to say Kate and Kristy you have gone too far.

One thing is true: John is the master blocker on social media. I’ll even say this publicly… he blocked me last fall. I actually missed a lot of this initial drama because John and I weren’t talking. John doesn’t handle things so well sometimes…that’s because he’s not a politician… or a professional entertainer.. or a media trained celebrity. He’s simply a man with two 14+ year-old cars, and a family with children that are going to college. Don’t forget he just went through a never-ending public shaming and excommunication for the podcast you all enjoyed using to share your stories on, and to receive support for your own losses of faith.

It’s not courageous, what you’re doing here. It’s malicious.

The OSF and Mormon Stories are his jobs. This man is not rich nor is he lavish. This has nothing to do with gender pay gap equality and everything to do with PEOPLE getting paid for their work.

It’s deeply unsettling that you’d use your “platforms” to take down John Dehlin. It’s boring and trite and small. The most disgusting part, you’re using hot button issues like feminism and gender pay gap equality to paint John as some secular cult leading “David Miscavige”-like character.

John is transparent about his “life coaching” practices, his yearly salary, his beliefs, and his mistakes (any of them).

Lastly, John is not at all what so many of these commenters are saying he is. I know this because I know the man himself. I know his day-to-day. I know his blood, sweat, tears, and personal sacrifices to build a healthy post-mormon community. I won’t sit by and let my friend’s name be dragged in the mud no matter how petty and small this whole thing really is. It’s disgusting to watch my friend’s name and reputation be destroyed by lies and manipulation, especially in the name of “doing what is right”

10 hours ago, Calm said:

I didn't report you that I can remember so I have no clue why.  I can't ban, I can only report just like everyone else and the mods have never asked me what I want done and often as far as I can tell they don't agree with me. I think I only reported one or two to begin with that were specifically dealing with how the Church wasn't as transparent as Dehlin not too long after  I asked it to be kept on topic and it wasn't to ban, but asking to post a warning, but I was pretty toasted from not the best sleep yesterday, so no guarantees. I might have just reported "off topic" and left it at the mods' discretion without input.

People were for the most part cooperating (I am hoping that was by choice and not banning :) ), it has kept pretty on target and others have added some good info and analysis; it got a bit old explaining what I thought was pretty clear about why I wanted the topic limited, but no big deal.  

You can always start your own thread.  I am perfectly happy for mine to die.  Probably a good idea for someone to start a new one after the podcast anyway.  A long thread gets harder to find things in.  Mine is long enough.

Maybe you could start a thread on what questions you would like to see answered.

PS: the "um" stuff drives me bananas, which is why I try to avoid public speaking as I am sure I would be constantly saying it if I could manage not completely to lose my train of thought.

I'm afraid I might too, that's why I don't like to see John do it. I think he should just let the silence be there while he gathers his thought. It's a pet peeve I guess. :)

Tacenda, this post is not appropriate for Social and most won't see it  You really should just go start your own thread.  I can get mine locked so conversation goes there if you would like.  I need to get ready for family and a wedding Friday, so I can't keep an eye on it anymore.