Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Celestial Wives


Recommended Posts

Posted
On 1/9/2017 at 8:05 AM, Rain said:

This reminds me of Elder Cook's talk:

"The prophet Jacob referred to ancient Jews as “a stiffnecked people [who] despised … plainness, … killed the prophets, and sought for things that they could not understand. Wherefore, because of their blindness, which blindness came by looking beyond the mark, they must needs fall.”

While there are many examples of looking beyond the mark, a significant one in our day is extremism. Gospel extremism is when one elevates any gospel principle above other equally important principles and takes a position that is beyond or contrary to the teachings of Church leaders. "

Is the extremism the OP's couples or Calms belief they should be called to repentance?

Posted
1 hour ago, JLHPROF said:

If you don't understand the difference between being willing to obey God no matter what and desiring something for selfish reasons I can't help you.

Not looking for your help. Thank you very much.

But "Imaging" a future situation of having multiple wives , talking to your wife about such an imagined situation and getting her to comply with your take on it doesn't sound anything like "willing to obey God....no matter what". It sounds more like grooming.

I used to pray for preparedness for whatever the future day held in store for me. After losing a wife and and a son through sudden deaths I only focus now on the day at hand. Playing around with "what if" scenarios is a waste of time. Getting through to the end of a day without causing any harm and maybe doing some good is enough. 

Posted
3 hours ago, bcuzbcuz said:

Not looking for your help. Thank you very much.

But "Imaging" a future situation of having multiple wives , talking to your wife about such an imagined situation and getting her to comply with your take on it doesn't sound anything like "willing to obey God....no matter what". It sounds more like grooming.

I used to pray for preparedness for whatever the future day held in store for me. After losing a wife and and a son through sudden deaths I only focus now on the day at hand. Playing around with "what if" scenarios is a waste of time. Getting through to the end of a day without causing any harm and maybe doing some good is enough. 

bcuz- that seems like a harsh reading of what JLHPROF has said. I think many people have addressed the possibilities of hypotheticals and their willingness to follow God and it has nothing to do with grooming. For example, if a person considers it possible that one day they will be required to take a handcart to Missouri I can see the couple making a determination that they would do anything God asked, no matter how hard. Celestial polygamy is a reality in the church so I hope couples would discuss that. But it doesn't mean one party is grooming the other.

Posted
4 hours ago, bcuzbcuz said:

Not looking for your help. Thank you very much.

But "Imaging" a future situation of having multiple wives , talking to your wife about such an imagined situation and getting her to comply with your take on it doesn't sound anything like "willing to obey God....no matter what". It sounds more like grooming.

I used to pray for preparedness for whatever the future day held in store for me. After losing a wife and and a son through sudden deaths I only focus now on the day at hand. Playing around with "what if" scenarios is a waste of time. Getting through to the end of a day without causing any harm and maybe doing some good is enough.

You have my sympathies on the losses you have had to endure.

But being willing to follow God is not grooming.  My wife and I study the scriptures and the gospel.  That includes D&C 132, Church history, and the temple.
Naturally polygamy comes up.  To hypothesize whether we would be willing to follow God's command or fight against God's will is not in any way grooming, desiring, or fantasizing about doing so.

I follow the teaching of Joseph Smith, and so does my wife:  When God commands, do it!

Posted
1 hour ago, HappyJackWagon said:

bcuz- that seems like a harsh reading of what JLHPROF has said. I think many people have addressed the possibilities of hypotheticals and their willingness to follow God and it has nothing to do with grooming. For example, if a person considers it possible that one day they will be required to take a handcart to Missouri I can see the couple making a determination that they would do anything God asked, no matter how hard. Celestial polygamy is a reality in the church so I hope couples would discuss that. But it doesn't mean one party is grooming the other.

My discussion about polygamy with my now deceased wife lasted all of ten seconds. We were active TBM members with temple recommends and habits of daily scripture reading and prayers. Our lives were busy with 6 children to raise and her response was clear and precise. No, never, no way, not on your life.

Handcarts to Missouri? We would have headed down to the workshop that same evening.

 

Posted
4 hours ago, bcuzbcuz said:

My discussion about polygamy with my now deceased wife lasted all of ten seconds. We were active TBM members with temple recommends and habits of daily scripture reading and prayers. Our lives were busy with 6 children to raise and her response was clear and precise. No, never, no way, not on your life.

Handcarts to Missouri? We would have headed down to the workshop that same evening.

 

So the fact that your wife said no, and my wife said "whatever God wants" means I'm grooming her and craving future plural wives?
Seems a little unreasonable.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...