Jordan Lead Codices Not Modern Forgeries -- British Experts

Bobbieaware

The following article is copied from the December 1st edition of the Jordan Times. In another December 1st article on the Jordan Lead Codices, published in Christianity Today, it is said that linguists -- who are experts in Paleo-Hebrew but keeping the specifics of their findings unpublished for the time being -- are willing to reveal that the Lead codices contain the names of James, Peter and John, that Jesus did not teach his was a new religion but a restoration of the ancient truths revealed in Solomon's Temple, that temple worship was a key element of Christ's approach to religion, and that the deity of heaven is both male and female (Father and Mother in heaven?).

This new topic is sure to create a firestorm of controversy, mainly because there are those who consider themselves experts in ancient languages who have, with supreme confidence, already publicly proclaimed the Jordan Lead Codices are fakes. But newly published information, and information yet to be published, may prove these individuals were hasty and presumptuous in judgement without having enough facts on which to base their opinions. Please understand I am just a messenger here and I have no dog in this fight -- I'm simply keeping an open mind and informing the members of this board as to the latest news on this subject. Here is the article.

THE JORDAN TIMES, Dec 1

AMMAN – Held as one of the most important discoveries in archaeological history, yet contested as "modern forgeries", codices discovered in Jordan almost a decade ago have been proven authentic by British experts.

In a statement e-mailed to The Jordan Times, the Ion Beam Centre (IBC), based at the University of Surrey, UK, and supported by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, on November 30 published new evidence of the authenticity of the country's Lead Codices.  

Comprising upwards of 70 ring-bound books made entirely of lead, the codices were found in a remote valley in northern Jordan between 2005-2007, with evidence to suggest that they date back to the 1st or 2nd century AD.  Linguistic analysts have claimed that they are the only Hebrew-Christian documents, challenging the significance of the Dead Sea Scrolls discovered mid-century in the caves of Jordan Valley.  

A codex, forming part of the Lead Codices collection, was on official loan to the IBC for study from the Department of Antiquities.  Director of the IBS, Prof. Roger Webb, and Senior Liaison Fellow, Prof. Chris Jeynes, have reported that the codex did not demonstrate the radioactivity arising from atmospheric polonium that is typical of modern lead samples, indicating that the lead of the codex was smelted over a century ago, and is not a product of modern-day manufacturing.  

A further report by independent analyst Matthew Hood, an examiner of the erosion of the codices since 2009, has claimed that the “visible formation of mineral crystals as the metal reverts to organic compounds provides strong evidence of the great age of some of these artifacts”.   

"The suspicion of forgery, sown by the bloggers and a rashly published note in the Times Literary Supplement in 2011, has been disproved by several independent scientific tests of the metal as well as yet unpublished expert study of the writing. No one of those actually involved with research on the codices has any doubt about their antiquity," the statement said. 

Edited by Bobbieaware

Any particular reason for not providing a link to "Jordan Times?"  I did a google search and found this interesting PDF by Margaret Barker.  It is lengthy with many insights.  Such as why were the codices "sealed" on all four sides?  A snippet from her observations -

"The Form of the Codices. Many of the little lead codices are, or were once, sealed. There are holes on all four sides of the pages and rings that bind them together. This suggests secrecy. The oldest text in the New Testament is the Book of Revelation. It is a stylised collection of prophetic visions and their interpretations that was eventually compiled by St John. The book itself says that the prophetic visions were those of Jesus himself, interpreted by St John. The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants what must soon take place; and he made it known* by sending his angel to his servant John (Revelation 1.1). 5 *This means that an angel showed St John what the visions meant and when they were fulfilled in contemporary events. The Book of Revelation was originally written in Hebrew. The Greek text in the New Testament is a translation into a fairly rough Greek, but the underlying Hebrew style and wordplay is obvious. [I have argued all this in detail in my book The Revelation of Jesus Christ, Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 2000]. Further, the symbolism and world view in the Book of Revelation is fundamental to understanding the nature and symbolism of the lead codices. This, together with the emphases in the other writings of St John – the Gospel and his letters – are the setting in which the codices should be interpreted. The Book of Revelation describes how Jesus was considered worthy to open a sealed book [not a scroll] and reveal its secrets. Jesus had died and ascended to heaven. There he approached the heavenly throne, and he heard a voice: And I saw in the right hand of him who was seated on the throne a book written without and within [that is, on both sides of the page]. And I saw a mighty angel calling out with a loud voice, ‘ Who is worthy to open the book and break its seals?’ And no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth was able to open the book or to look into it. And I wept much because no one had been found worthy to open the book or to look into it. Then one of the elders said to me: ‘Do not weep. Lo the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered so that he can open the book and its seven seals’. (Revelation 5.1-5, my translation). So many sentences beginning with ‘and’ are a sign that this is a very literal translation of Hebrew. ‘And’ is a normal way to begin a sentence in Hebrew but not in Greek. The Book of Revelation then describes the visions and the events as the seven seals are opened, one by one (Revelation 6—7). Before the seventh seal is opened, seven angels blow seven trumpets, and with each of these there is another vision unfolding. After the seventh seal has been opened, the seven angels pour seven bowls of wrath upon Jerusalem, prophecies of the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans. But before the seventh angel blew his trumpet, there was another vision. St John saw the mighty angel coming from heaven carrying a little book [Greek biblaridion] that had already been opened. St John was told to eat the little book, which means that he had to learn and keep secret what he had read in the little book (Revelation 10). There was something in the history of the Christians, just before the fall of Jeruslaem, that involved a small book. Sealed books are mentioned in the Hebrew scriptures. When the prophet Isaiah warned the people of Jerusalem that they would be punished for their evil ways (Isaiah 2—3), and they refused to listen to him, he said in despair: ‘Bind up the testimony, seal up the teaching among my disciples.’ (Isaiah 8.16). The prophet Daniel received visions about the future of Jerusalem, first from Gabriel (Daniel 9.21) and then from the LORD himself (Daniel 10.5). He was told: ‘ Shut up the words and seal the book until the time of the end (Daniel 12.4). The sealed books concerned the future of Jerusalem, and it was a sealed book that Jesus in heaven began to open. As he opened the seven seals, so the judgement and destruction of Jerusalem began."

Here is the link:  http://www.margaretbarker.com/Papers/TheJordanCodices.pdf

3 hours ago, longview said:

Any particular reason for not providing a link to "Jordan Times?"  I did a google search and found this interesting PDF by Margaret Barker.  It is lengthy with many insights.  Such as why were the codices "sealed" on all four sides?  A snippet from her observations -

"The Form of the Codices. Many of the little lead codices are, or were once, sealed. There are holes on all four sides of the pages and rings that bind them together. This suggests secrecy. The oldest text in the New Testament is the Book of Revelation. It is a stylised collection of prophetic visions and their interpretations that was eventually compiled by St John. The book itself says that the prophetic visions were those of Jesus himself, interpreted by St John. The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants what must soon take place; and he made it known* by sending his angel to his servant John (Revelation 1.1). 5 *This means that an angel showed St John what the visions meant and when they were fulfilled in contemporary events. The Book of Revelation was originally written in Hebrew. The Greek text in the New Testament is a translation into a fairly rough Greek, but the underlying Hebrew style and wordplay is obvious. [I have argued all this in detail in my book The Revelation of Jesus Christ, Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 2000]. Further, the symbolism and world view in the Book of Revelation is fundamental to understanding the nature and symbolism of the lead codices. This, together with the emphases in the other writings of St John – the Gospel and his letters – are the setting in which the codices should be interpreted. The Book of Revelation describes how Jesus was considered worthy to open a sealed book [not a scroll] and reveal its secrets. Jesus had died and ascended to heaven. There he approached the heavenly throne, and he heard a voice: And I saw in the right hand of him who was seated on the throne a book written without and within [that is, on both sides of the page]. And I saw a mighty angel calling out with a loud voice, ‘ Who is worthy to open the book and break its seals?’ And no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth was able to open the book or to look into it. And I wept much because no one had been found worthy to open the book or to look into it. Then one of the elders said to me: ‘Do not weep. Lo the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered so that he can open the book and its seven seals’. (Revelation 5.1-5, my translation). So many sentences beginning with ‘and’ are a sign that this is a very literal translation of Hebrew. ‘And’ is a normal way to begin a sentence in Hebrew but not in Greek. The Book of Revelation then describes the visions and the events as the seven seals are opened, one by one (Revelation 6—7). Before the seventh seal is opened, seven angels blow seven trumpets, and with each of these there is another vision unfolding. After the seventh seal has been opened, the seven angels pour seven bowls of wrath upon Jerusalem, prophecies of the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans. But before the seventh angel blew his trumpet, there was another vision. St John saw the mighty angel coming from heaven carrying a little book [Greek biblaridion] that had already been opened. St John was told to eat the little book, which means that he had to learn and keep secret what he had read in the little book (Revelation 10). There was something in the history of the Christians, just before the fall of Jeruslaem, that involved a small book. Sealed books are mentioned in the Hebrew scriptures. When the prophet Isaiah warned the people of Jerusalem that they would be punished for their evil ways (Isaiah 2—3), and they refused to listen to him, he said in despair: ‘Bind up the testimony, seal up the teaching among my disciples.’ (Isaiah 8.16). The prophet Daniel received visions about the future of Jerusalem, first from Gabriel (Daniel 9.21) and then from the LORD himself (Daniel 10.5). He was told: ‘ Shut up the words and seal the book until the time of the end (Daniel 12.4). The sealed books concerned the future of Jerusalem, and it was a sealed book that Jesus in heaven began to open. As he opened the seven seals, so the judgement and destruction of Jerusalem began."

Here is the link:  http://www.margaretbarker.com/Papers/TheJordanCodices.pdf

I provided no link because I copied and pasted the entire brief article. Thanks for the Barker info.

15 hours ago, Bobbieaware said:

Please understand I am just a messenger here and I have no dog in this fight -- I'm simply keeping an open mind and informing the members of this board as to the latest news on this subject.

Since we're just non-judgmentally passing along information, board members might also want to read what skeptics of the codices have to say about "the latest news": 

http://paleojudaica.blogspot.ca/2016_11_27_archive.html#3901917482754272612

Edited by Nevo
14 minutes ago, Nevo said:

Since we're just non-judgmentally passing along information, board members might also want to read what skeptics of the codices have to say about "the latest news":

http://paleojudaica.blogspot.ca/2016_11_27_archive.html#3901917482754272612

Glad to see the the author of article you link doesn't come down -- as others previously have -- in outright, cocksure condemnation of the Lead Codices as certain forgeries. 

Hopefully they won't go at a snail pace for further analysis.  Such as textual contents, anomalies in the alphabet, who authored the codices, etc.  Were they "buried" in the cave due to Roman army depredations?  It would be nice if the images would be released to antiquities departments of all the world's universities.

16 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I would be more impressed if they were actually publishing instead of just leaking data.

As would I. Nevertheless, in consideration of what I believe to be the unfair treatment, scoffing derision, and widespread dismissive attitude exhibited by many toward the Church's claims concerning the coming forth of the Book of Mormon, I have decided to keep an open mind on this episode for the sake of doing unto others what I would appeciate them doing unto me.