mong00se Posted September 22, 2016 Posted September 22, 2016 38 minutes ago, bsjkki said: More stats on the undergraduate programs--click on degree and you can see the stats. https://marriottschool.byu.edu/recruiter/pdf/bsrecmsheet.pdf Undergrad finance is only 10 percent female. Wow, pretty sad. It's ironic that when you click on the Finance sheet, a picture of an Asian female pops up. Yet females are just 10% and international students just 6%. The entire group today was white males.
Jeanne Posted September 22, 2016 Posted September 22, 2016 On 9/20/2016 at 0:47 PM, Tacenda said: Some quotes below that could have set up the mindset of some or most in the church. Still on the fence about it all. I watched two little girls for several years while their mother worked because she told me once she couldn't stay home. They had enough money and all. These two young girls grew up to be terrific young women, one completed an LDS mission. And the other married in the temple. So you just never know. I just always hope that if a woman chooses to work she's able to balance and make arrangements that will be safe for her children, and should have the help of her husband. I've heard or read statements from adults that went to daycare that they liked that their mothers had careers. Quotes from two prophets back in the day.... . . I beg of you, you who could and should be bearing and rearing a family: Wives, come home from the typewriter, the laundry, the nursing, come home from the factory, the café. No career approaches in importance that of wife, homemaker, mother—cooking meals, washing dishes, making beds for one’s precious husband and children. Come home, wives, to your husbands. Make home a heaven for them. Come home wives, to your children, born and unborn. Wrap the motherly cloak about you and unembarrassed help in a major role to create the bodies for the immortal souls who anxiously wait. When you have fully complemented your husband in home life and borne the children, growing up full of faith, integrity, responsibility and goodness, then you have achieved your accomplishments supreme, without peer, and you will be the envy through time and eternity. Spencer W. Kimball We have often said, This divine service of motherhood can be rendered only by mothers. It may not be passed to others. Nurses cannot do it; public nurseries cannot do it. Hired help cannot do it; kind relatives cannot do it. Only by mother, aided as much as may be by a loving father, brothers and sisters, and other relatives, can the full needed measure of watchful care be given. Spencer W. Kimball and expect the wives to go out of the home and work, even though the husband is capable of providing for his family. In these cases, we urge the husband to do all in his power to allow his wife to remain in the home caring for the children while he continues to provide for his family the best he can, even though the job he is able to secure may not be ideal and family budgeting may have to be tighter. . . . Sometimes the mother works outside of the home at the encouragement, or even insistence, of her husband. It is he who wants the items or conveniences that the extra income can buy. Not only will the family suffer in such instances, brethren, but your own spiritual growth and progression will be hampered. I say to all of you, the Lord has charged men with the responsibility to provide for their families in such a way that the wife is allowed to fulfill her role as mother in the home. . . . One apparent impact of the women’s movement has been the feelings of discontent it has created among young women who have chosen the role of wife and mother. They are often made to feel that there are more exciting and self-fulfilling roles for women than housework, diaper changing, and children calling for mother. This view loses sight of the eternal perspective that God elected women to the noble role of mother and that exaltation is eternal fatherhood and eternal motherhood. Ezra Taft Benson It is time that the hearts of us fathers be turned to our children and the hearts of the children be turned to us fathers, or we shall both be cursed. The seeds of divorce are often sown and the blessings of children delayed by wives working outside the home. Working mothers should remember that their children usually need more of mother than of money. Ezra Taft Benson When I read Benson's comment above..I see my mother's hand counting change on our kitchen table for lunch money..money she worked for in the evenings on a part time job,,,gosh I love her! No better example than that. 2
bsjkki Posted September 22, 2016 Author Posted September 22, 2016 My mother went back to work to pay for my sisters to attend church schools because my father would not. Luckily, she had a degree and a job when he died a few short years later. Angel mothers who sacrifice for their kids. Many times, this includes employment. 2
Tacenda Posted September 23, 2016 Posted September 23, 2016 36 minutes ago, Jeanne said: When I read Benson's comment above..I see my mother's hand counting change on our kitchen table for lunch money..money she worked for in the evenings on a part time job,,,gosh I love her! No better example than that. And what about you my dear, I'm sure your children think the same thing!
Jeanne Posted September 23, 2016 Posted September 23, 2016 52 minutes ago, Tacenda said: And what about you my dear, I'm sure your children think the same thing! Why thanks...I hope so. If I am even half the mother she was..I did good!
Recommended Posts