Interesting quotation from Pres Joseph Fielding Smith

Duncan

41 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I had a mission companion who's grandpa was the first Mission President in the then newly created Southern Far East Mission, he was 25 or 26 when he was called. Anyways his autobiography is online at the Church History Library. My comp. told me a story that I want to get verified but I found this interesting bit.

"Our passage to Hawaii was fun and interesting. We started a morning Bible study group with President Smith. We were supposed to study the scriptures, but we got seldom more than a page or two written and the rest of the time was spent asking questions of President Smith. Usually most of the questions came from me. It was a real treat to be able to explore some of the questions I had when I read two of President Smith's book, "The Way to Perfection" and , "The Progress of Man". At one time, before we reached Japan he scolded me for taking some of his writings so seriously. He said, "During my life I have written and said many things that I wish I could take back. But once it is in writing I guess i'm stuck with it" p. 12.

MS 16998

"Bolding and Italics in original"

Interesting! I know I wish I could take back some things I said!

That is interesting and Pres. Smith is really something to be so honest about himself.  I admire him for that.  Maybe he just wanted to study and not answer so many questions!:D  I hope you can find out more about this and perhaps what he would have changed.

42 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I had a mission companion who's grandpa was the first Mission President in the then newly created Southern Far East Mission, he was 25 or 26 when he was called. Anyways his autobiography is online at the Church History Library. My comp. told me a story that I want to get verified but I found this interesting bit.

"Our passage to Hawaii was fun and interesting. We started a morning Bible study group with President Smith. We were supposed to study the scriptures, but we got seldom more than a page or two written and the rest of the time was spent asking questions of President Smith. Usually most of the questions came from me. It was a real treat to be able to explore some of the questions I had when I read two of President Smith's book, "The Way to Perfection" and , "The Progress of Man". At one time, before we reached Japan he scolded me for taking some of his writings so seriously. He said, "During my life I have written and said many things that I wish I could take back. But once it is in writing I guess i'm stuck with it" p. 12.

MS 16998

"Bolding and Italics in original"

Interesting! I know I wish I could take back some things I said!

Amen, I'll be 59 next week and I know what he means. My father used to quote a Scripture to me growing up, it reads; "Let thy communication be Nay, Nay or Yea, Yea, anymore than this commeth of evil". Wish I had listened more closely to the wisdom of that passage. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/05/2016 at 6:43 PM, Duncan said:

It was unfortunate that the Latter-day Saints were deceived by some of
the teachings in those books.  But when you read them (some are still
around) they are portrayed as speaking as a 'mouthpiece of God'. It just 
goes to show you that LDS leaders can lead people astray after all.

But it does give us a good glimpse of LDS theology at the time.

Gail