Abortion, euthanasia, or homosexual marriages

theplains

7 hours ago, theplains said:

Hello,  

I just wanted to share a devotional by Charles Price.

Thanks, Jim

devotional-changing.gif

There is much said in the above that seems good and right. But I'm caused to wonder why the Biblical prophets spoke out so forcefully against sin without bothering to sugar-coat their condemnations. Is the author saying the ethos of the Post-modern age causes the Biblical prophet's method of preaching no longer work? Could it be that the people of our day are, generally speaking, just too wicked and hardened in their heats to respond to the conversion approach used by the Biblical prophets?

Edited by Bobbieaware

I wonder if you could find a behavior that religion SHOULD speak out about. Nah, no one should make anyone feel that their behavior is wrong. Might hurt their feelings. Better to just accept any and all behavior as perfectly fine, except being less an tolerant of some behavior that is. THAT  is the truly terrible sin.

1 hour ago, strappinglad said:

I wonder if you could find a behavior that religion SHOULD speak out about. Nah, no one should make anyone feel that their behavior is wrong. Might hurt their feelings. Better to just accept any and all behavior as perfectly fine, except being less an tolerant of some behavior that is. THAT  is the truly terrible sin.

Here's what the Prophet Nephi has to say about this subject: 

4 And I know that the Lord God will consecrate my prayers for the gain of my people. And the words which I have written in weakness will be made strong unto them; for it persuadeth them to do good; it maketh known unto them of their fathers; and it speaketh of Jesus, and persuadeth them to believe in him, and to endure to the end, which is life eternal.

5 And it speaketh harshly against sin, according to the plainness of the truth; wherefore, no man will be angry at the words which I have written save he shall be of the spirit of the devil.) 2 Nephi 33)

So perhaps the problem is that when someone is of the spirit of the devil they will not listen to and obey the truth, and will therefore have to learn life's lessons the hard way, by suffering the bitter consequences of sin, before they will be sufficiently humble and willing to listen to the truth, exercise faith in Christ, and repent.

I can see now we need to change our methods with missionary work and in reactivating members. Maybe a door approach could be: We are LDS missionaries and we've come to tell you all the ways you are sinning.

Probably work. Maybe not. 

13 hours ago, mtomm said:

I can see now we need to change our methods with missionary work and in reactivating members. Maybe a door approach could be: We are LDS missionaries and we've come to tell you all the ways you are sinning.

Probably work. Maybe not.

Or there is always the “To every thing there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven” door approach.

For example, “A time to keep silence and a time to speak.”  (Eccl 3:7)

24 minutes ago, Sleeper Cell said:

Or there is always the “To every thing there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven” door approach.

For example, “A time to keep silence and a time to speak.”  (Eccl 3:7)

Exactly. We will never discipline people into church, but we can love first AND teach them correct principles in their season (or maybe there season.)