HAARETZ: Mormon Jews

Okrahomer

This interesting article describes how hundreds of LDS converts have come out of Judaism, but maintain both their Jewish as well as their LDS identities.  I admire how Phyllis Miller and Jason Olson (who are both interviewed in the article) have learned to incorporate Jewish traditions with their LDS faith.  Sometimes I have worried that Wasatch Front and/or American culture/tradition tends to overwhelm valuable and worthwhile traditions that come with converts from other cultures as well.  This report is encouraging.

Mormonism is what Judaism pretty much would have looked like had they accepted Jesus Christ en mass. The Jews still kept the feasts and remembrances after they were converted to the Gospel.

It is the incorrect traditions that have to be laid aside.

Glenn

Edited by Glenn101
12 hours ago, Glenn101 said:

Mormonism is what Judaism pretty much would have looked like had they accepted Jesus Christ en mass. The Jews still kept the feasts and remembrances after they were converted to the Gospel.

It is the incorrect traditions that have to be laid aside.

Glenn

One of my all-time favorite teachers--EVER--was my freshman English composition teacher, who also happens to be the wife of Avraham Gileadi.  Like her husband, she is a convert from Judaism.  The thing I most enjoyed about her teaching style was her emphasis on ferreting out for ourselves the things in our culture that are good and consistent with the gospel vs. the things that were less good--or perhaps evil.  I was one of those C - B students who sat in the back and didn't say much; but I sure did listen.  One of the A students read a paper critical of the Wasatch Front/American social ritual of "plentifully unhealthy refreshments" at LDS social events.  Her thesis was:  "It's the Celestial, not the cholesterol Kingdom we're after."

She might have borrowed that from someone else, I don't know.  But it seemed awfully clever--and true--at the time.

17 hours ago, Glenn101 said:

Mormonism is what Judaism pretty much would have looked like had they accepted Jesus Christ en mass...It is the incorrect traditions that have to be laid aside.

Glenn

I think we have too much Protestant heritage in us still to claim that at this time (for example, there is often a sense of anti-ritual and anti-symbolism among LDS as they don't realize that the ordinances are all rituals and symbolic, many have a problem with the temple because it is obvious there).  Though maybe that is what you mean by needing to lay aside the incorrect traditions.

Edited by Calm
4 hours ago, Okrahomer said:

....................................... the wife of Avraham Gileadi.  Like her husband, she is a convert from Judaism. .......................

Avraham Gileadi was originally Bart Seuren, a Dutch Roman Catholic boy, who converted to Judaism first, and then received training in Judaism in Jerusalem.  Later he converted to the LDS faith.

2 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Avraham Gileadi was originally Bart Seuren, a Dutch Roman Catholic boy, who converted to Judaism first, and then received training in Judaism in Jerusalem.  Later he converted to the LDS faith.

I did not know that.  My recollection is that his wife was Jewish from birth?

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 4:10 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

Which reminds me, do you know if there are any copies of his letter to his Rosh yeshiva around?

12 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

No, but then I did not know that there was one.

Ah. I figured that if someone knew it would be you. Confirms my suspicion that almost no one has. Essentially, Gileadi wrote an open letter to his former rosh yeshiva, an American-born Jew, incidentally, to convince him of the truth of the Book of Mormon. The church considered turning it into a missionary tract, but shelved the idea for whatever reason. This is all cited in Grafting In, lacking, of course, any details on the content.