Tacenda Posted January 7, 2016 Posted January 7, 2016 Saw this on FB, that a friend liked. I read it and this woman reminds me of myself in another lifetime. I remember finishing someone saying this with "osh" when my children were in earshot, of say of TV show. Luckily I didn't do that in front of someone in real life. But as the years have gone by I've read different meanings of the taking of the Lord God's name in vain. I've found out what the Bible really says about it. If you read the second link, it will go into it. This lady on this blog, never even broaches the bigger meaning. In fact according to the second link... "If you are unsure, make your statement reflect your uncertainty. Saying “I think God is telling you to…” rather than “God is telling you to…” may not be as authoritative, but it will keep God’s reputation safe and keep you from breaking the third commandment. If I were Satan, I couldn’t think of a better way to trivialize such an important commandment. As an aside, I think that this misunderstanding of the third commandment is both sad and tragic. If I were Satan, I couldn’t think of a better way to trivialize such an important commandment than to fool people into thinking it’s focus is on the phrase, "Gosh darn it” (I changed the real words in this article. Tacenda) http://growing4life.net/what-does-the-bible-say-about-omg/ http://credohouse.org/blog/taking-the-lords-name-in-vain-w
Avatar4321 Posted January 8, 2016 Posted January 8, 2016 I think it's certainly one way to profane Diety. But I think taking the Lord's name in vain is more about making our covenants insincerely. 3
Zakuska Posted January 8, 2016 Posted January 8, 2016 (edited) I like how people take this commandment and then use it as a blanket covering all cursing an swearing using it. The scriptures are full of curse/swear words if you look things up in the original languages from Prophets and Apostles of God no less. Of course Goliaths profaning and maligning of Israel is choke full of curse words and our translators have been generous and toned it down. Isaiah has a few choice words too as does Jeremiah. One of my favorite Apostles to listen to is J. Golden Kimbal. Edited January 8, 2016 by Zakuska
Bob Crockett Posted January 8, 2016 Posted January 8, 2016 I think that orthodox Jews hold that "OMG" is not a violation of the commandment because "God" is not God's name. Having said that I get a little bugged when I see YM/YW's activities posters with "OMG" as part of the title or theme. Kind of like the word "suck," when I heard a bishop use that in Stake Conf, I wondered if the fellow really knew why that word was used in the vernacular. 1
Recommended Posts