Seriously No Politics ×

Kate Kelly Angling For Another 15 Minutes Of Fame.

Buzzard

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion/58358482-82/women-church-lds-alike.html.csp

One almost wonders if the SLTribune has engaged her as an op-ed writer.  Not a lot of new ground covered, she seems to enjoy quote-mining for anything remotely sympathetic to her cause. 

I do fear that with every defiant post, she places herself further and further away from repentance and returning to the church. 

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion/58358482-82/women-church-lds-alike.html.csp

One almost wonders if the SLTribune has engaged her as an op-ed writer.  Not a lot of new ground covered, she seems to enjoy quote-mining for anything remotely sympathetic to her cause. 

I do fear that with every defiant post, she places herself further and further away from repentance and returning to the church.

The fact that she sees the OW struggle as nearly identical to the women's suffrage movement demonstrates just how clueless she is when it comes to spiritual things. She acts as if the Lord hasn't already blessed every faithful, temple-going woman with every ordinance, power and blessing necessary in order for them to be exalted with a fullness of celestial glory. This willful ignorance reveals that while she may appear somewhat intelligent when it comes to the things of the secular world, she is devoid of understanding when it come to the things of the kingdom of God. The more I read her words, the more convinced I become that he's basically a spoiled arrested adolescent who hasn't matured beyond the level of a flighty 8th grader.

She acts as if the Lord hasn't already blessed every faithful, temple-going woman with every ordinance, power and blessing necessary in order for them to be exalted with a fullness of celestial glory.

I seriously doubt she is unaware of that. Indeed, it probably is used as an argument for ordination. Why is current mortality organized differently?

While I neither sympathize with or support the Ordain Women movement in pretty much anyway, I think your very probable (mis)characterization of her understanding is not only misleading but actually hinders opposition to the Ordain Women movement.

I seriously doubt she is unaware of that. Indeed, it probably is used as an argument for ordination. Why is current mortality organized differently?

While I neither sympathize with or support the Ordain Women movement in pretty much anyway, I think your very probable (mis)characterization of her understanding is not only misleading but actually hinders opposition to the Ordain Women movement.

What I said is that she acts AS IF the Lord hasn't already blessed the LDS women with the fullness of His eternal blessings, not that she is unaware of this fact. Yes she's aware alright, but like a petulant and ungrateful child she deliberately tried to humiliate the Church (as if the leaders have somehow cheated her) even though she knew full well she already had been endowed in the temple with all the power and authority necessary in order for her to receive the fullness of exaltation and heavenly joy.

I'm wondering if in any of her media interviews and statements she made it clear that the faithful women of the Church already have been given the fullness of God's blessings. If not, it would have been a smart idea on her part to acknowledge this reality at every opportunity, that way clueless outsiders wouldn't get the wrong idea about the Church. But f she did take pains to clearly make this all-important point known, I'll be glad to stand corrected.  

I've been looking for a title for the picture below. Thank you.

tumblr_inline_mjzsqsOOJ31qz4rgp.jpg

picture title: As If

You know I knocked it out of the park, and so you weakly protest that the homerun is a foul.

The woman was excommunicated for a reason: She is ungrateful and demonstrated that ingratitude by defying kindly given church counsel, and then creating a worldly media circus as she dragged the leaders of the Church through the mud.

Even so, I'll seek the help of the Spirit so that I might learn how to see her predicament with the eyes of God's mercy. I'm fed up with her, but I know as a follower of Christ I should feel genuinely sorry for her.

You know it's as if I knocked it out of the park, and so you weakly protest that the homerun is a foul.

There. Fixed it for you.

Don't worry. I agree with you that Kate Kelly's actions are questionable at best. I disagree with your mind-reading character assassination nor do I feel it necessary. She's provided plenty of actual material for condemnation and judgmental as if's are superfluous at best. Not that you'll be persuaded by my opinion on the matter. It's not as if it matters. :)

As long as we're on the subject, I have a grammar question: is there a difference between as though and as if?  If so, what is it?  Is one used in certain situations, while the other is used in others?  Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated. Thanks! :D:rofl::D

:)

There. Fixed it for you.

Don't worry. I agree with you that Kate Kelly's actions are questionable at best. I disagree with your mind-reading character assassination nor do I feel it necessary. She's provided plenty of actual material for condemnation and judgmental as if's are superfluous at best. Not that you'll be persuaded by my opinion on the matter. It's not as if it matters. :)

In case you don't realize it, the whole purpose of a discussion board like this one is to bounce ideas off one another in a quest to try to "figure things out." In the case of Kate Kelly, she has become a hot topic around here because many of us are trying to understand why in the world she would be so willing to "throw it all away" for a cause that is "questionable at best." So as long as you're here, you'll have to put up with those of us who are searching for answers, wondering aloud and discussing the matter with one another as we try to understand the dynamics of this specific instance of apostasy. :)

But in the end I believe it's all very simple and easy to understand: If a member of the Church has a strong testimony of the Restored Gospel, a deep love for and good understanding of the scriptures and the words of the living prophets, an ample portion of the Spirit, and its joy, through the gift of the Holy Ghost, and a sincere desire to continually repent and humbly follow in the righteous footsteps of Christ, there is little chance that member will ever go astray. Conversely, if a member is lacking in these things there's a much greater possibility they will go astray.

Sure. It is a discussion board and all kinds of variant opinions are tolerated. I pretty much never expect somebody to change theirs just because I have a variant one. That does not mean less-than-effective arguments should be made by faithful members.

teddaware, JLHProf, GingerRed, et al: Doesn't Kate Kelly understand that all blessings are equally afforded both men and women in the celestial realms?! Why does she continue to agitate for change in the inequalities that exist here in mortality? (see post #2)

Sympathizers with Ordain Women: We understand that all blessings are equally afforded both men and women in the celestial realms. Why do we then continue to propagate the inequalities that won't exist hereafter here in mortality?

Personal dislike for her methods and her apostasy doesn't excuse not understanding and/or misrepresenting the argument she makes. You confess knowing you should treat her with more Christlike charity but somehow couldn't restrain from vilification of her and, in my opinion, do so in manner that does not accurately reflect her position. Either activity reflects poorly on the Church.

Anyway, I've spoken my peace. teddyaware will do what teddyaware does. Same for me. Continuance of the train of thought started by the OP would be more productive. Either that or actually addressing or refuting OW's hypothesis instead of strawmen.

I'll cease my derailment now.

Archived