Scott Lloyd Posted August 18, 2014 Posted August 18, 2014 (edited) I've just been made aware of this new video produced by the Church. People from diverse lands relating the history of the Church as they understand it. What is most impressive to me is the woman from Ghana who said that the history of the Church "is part of my history as well." Others on the video echo that sentiment. Too often, there is a tendency to compartmentalize or provincialize the great saga of the Restoration, with some saying that, say, the settlement of the Salt Lake Valley by the Pioneers is irrelevant to those who live outside of Utah. I hope this video does something to counteract that myopic view. Edited August 18, 2014 by Scott Lloyd 2
longview Posted August 18, 2014 Posted August 18, 2014 Especially considering that the USA did not zealously apply the protections outlined in the Constitution. The political leaders usually went along with the noisy rabble and the silent majority did not speak up for the defense of this strange new church. I think people in other countries do understand how officials do not always stand stand for what is right and they appreciate the courage of the early pioneers.
Kenngo1969 Posted August 18, 2014 Posted August 18, 2014 (edited) In the same vein as the OP . . . https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2008/04/faith-of-our-father?lang=eng See the text under the heading, "Faith of Our Fathers." Edited August 18, 2014 by Kenngo1969
Scott Lloyd Posted August 18, 2014 Author Posted August 18, 2014 In the same vein as the OP . . . https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2008/04/faith-of-our-father?lang=eng See the text under the heading, "Faith of Our Fathers." I especially like this snippet: The faith of our fathers—I love that phrase.For many members of the Church, these words bring to mind valiant pioneers who abandoned the comfort of their homes and traveled by wagon and on foot until they reached the valley of the Great Salt Lake. I love and honor the faith and courage of those early pioneers of the Church. My own ancestors were living an ocean away at the time. None were among those who lived in Nauvoo or Winter Quarters, and none made the journey across the plains. But as a member of the Church, I claim with gratitude and pride this pioneer legacy as my own.With the same joy, I claim the legacies of today’s modern-day Church pioneers who live in every nation and whose own stories of perseverance, faith, and sacrifice add glorious new verses to the great chorus of the latter-day anthem of the kingdom of God. The beauty is that as the Church grows and expands, and as our descendants intermarry, all Church members will be more likely in the future to be descended from those pioneers. An illustration: My Mormon pioneer ancestors were converts from Sweden and the British Isles; I have no Nauvoo ancestry. But all of my children do, as will all of their progeny, because I married a woman with Nauvoo ancestry.
Kenngo1969 Posted August 18, 2014 Posted August 18, 2014 I especially like this snippet: The beauty is that as the Church grows and expands, and as our descendants intermarry, all Church members will be more likely in the future to be descended from those pioneers. An illustration: My Mormon pioneer ancestors were converts from Sweden and the British Isles; I have no Nauvoo ancestry. But all of my children do, as will all of their progeny, because I married a woman with Nauvoo ancestry.Kewl!
Recommended Posts