EllenMaksoud Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Well, these days, with my phone, it is easy to scripture search in class at church on Sunday. Today, we were talking about "faith". In very little time I was able to find Hebrews 11:1, Eph 2:8, and James 2:14. Of course being a long time student of the Bible, before Islam, gave me the key words and phrases. Then we started talking about things in the BoM, and the D&C. I am an enthusiastic student of those works but in only 2 years, I have not learned a lot. In Google the key words and phrases don't seem to populate the internet. And, I have not seen an on line Mormon concordance. I don't know who handles these things but could someone speak with them?
Jude2 Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 This should help, https://www.lds.org/scriptures/study-helps?lang=eng
EllenMaksoud Posted February 11, 2013 Author Posted February 11, 2013 This should help,https://www.lds.org/...-helps?lang=engThis looks pretty good. I hope that my phone will access it in church.I am just praying to find an LDS version of "Strong's Concordance" on line. I can barely pick up the one I have at home.
Jude2 Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 This looks pretty good. I hope that my phone will access it in church.I am just praying to find an LDS version of "Strong's Concordance" on line. I can barely pick up the one I have at home. I don't think they have a LDS one of those, I go to crosswalk.com to look things up. My personal one has just about been worn out, it's missing both the back and front covers.
EllenMaksoud Posted February 11, 2013 Author Posted February 11, 2013 I don't think they have a LDS one of those, I go to crosswalk.com to look things up. My personal one has just about been worn out, it's missing both the back and front covers.I used to go to Crosswalk when I was questioning and searching. They threw me out a long time ago. Personally, I don't know what I could do to have the LDS throw me out. If I get upset, they just seem to love me more. How can you be upset and angry when they just keep loving you?
Jude2 Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 I used to go to Crosswalk when I was questioning and searching. They threw me out a long time ago. Personally, I don't know what I could do to have the LDS throw me out. If I get upset, they just seem to love me more. How can you be upset and angry when they just keep loving you?I never went to their discussion boards, Didn't like you questioning?
EllenMaksoud Posted February 11, 2013 Author Posted February 11, 2013 I never went to their discussion boards, Didn't like you questioning?Yes, well I was really questioning the trinity. Then I was complaining about rock music in church. Then I did not like the idea that God quit talking to us with Jesus. Then when I started asking questions about why christians hated Muslims so much, they really got fried out. Gee, with what I have said, it makes me wonder why I just didn't become a mormon before? 1
Jude2 Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Yes, well I was really questioning the trinity. Then I was complaining about rock music in church. Then I did not like the idea that God quit talking to us with Jesus. Then when I started asking questions about why christians hated Muslims so much, they really got fried out. Gee, with what I have said, it makes me wonder why I just didn't become a mormon before?I tried to read the Koran once, got lost in it.
EllenMaksoud Posted February 11, 2013 Author Posted February 11, 2013 I tried to read the Koran once, got lost in it.The Qur'an is a book of meditation. It is not a philosophical look at history like the Bible. There is no story in the Qur'an. Jesus Christ is in there, but they do not see him as the Son of God. They call him Isa. Muslims also think that the first Muslim was Abraham. I'd say that Ishmael is the first. Remember the prophesy about him? It has sure borne out hasn't it.As to why I became Muslim? It becomes clearer and clearer to me that I became Muslim for reasons other than what I thought. It is interesting that when I started looking at Islam, my EV friends stopped talking to me, shunning me in the meanest way.I was so startled that when I had questions about the Mormons, the Mormon sisters mobbed me and loved me in a way that I had never experienced before at any time and place.In truth, I eventually became Muslim because I was so humiliated and filled with guilt that the abaya and Hijab or Niqab, hid my sin; covering me and allowing me to feel secure and safe. I idea that I was not allowed to look a man in the eyes, and must obey the men met my need to be punished. Surah 4:34 even gives the men the right to beat the wife. Well, really knowlegable Muslims do not believe that but the tribal men do. I never did find a Muslim husband to punish me the way I thought I needed to be beaten.As I said before, I was sick of the EV hate talk, and their speaking evil of other faiths, but the above was the primary reason. 1
The Nehor Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 I tried to read the Koran once, got lost in it.I found it dull in the English translation I used. I listened to it in Arabic and now understand why it is so venerated. Nice and poetic. Just wish I understood it.
Ahab Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 This looks pretty good. I hope that my phone will access it in church.I am just praying to find an LDS version of "Strong's Concordance" on line. I can barely pick up the one I have at home. There is also this: http://deseretbook.com/Personal-Gospel-Library-LDS-PDA-Living/i/4596114It's not online but it is worth the memory space it takes to store all the text. I have it on a pocket computer, and while I don't know if it will work on a phone, because I don't have a fancy "smart" phone like those available these days, I think it will. 1
EllenMaksoud Posted February 11, 2013 Author Posted February 11, 2013 I never went to their discussion boards, Didn't like you questioning?Nope. Absolutely no questioning allowed there.
EllenMaksoud Posted February 11, 2013 Author Posted February 11, 2013 There is also this: http://deseretbook.c...iving/i/4596114It's not online but it is worth the memory space it takes to store all the text. I have it on a pocket computer, and while I don't know if it will work on a phone, because I don't have a fancy "smart" phone like those available these days, I think it will.I have a Samsung Galazy 2. They make a lot of noise about it being a computer. It takes 15 mb to load the whole thing. I do not know how much capacity I have left. I have the BoM, D&C and lots of other LDS stuff in the same suite.
Ahab Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 I have a Samsung Galazy 2. They make a lot of noise about it being a computer. It takes 15 mb to load the whole thing. I do not know how much capacity I have left. I have the BoM, D&C and lots of other LDS stuff in the same suite.I think you can expand the memory up to 32 gigs on that one. More than enough room for all the ebooks you'll ever read.Good stuff, huh.
Calm Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 There is also this: http://deseretbook.c...iving/i/4596114It's not online but it is worth the memory space it takes to store all the text. I have it on a pocket computer, and while I don't know if it will work on a phone, because I don't have a fancy "smart" phone like those available these days, I think it will.One of the reviews stated this: "I am very disappointed that there is no topical guide nor is there a Bible Dictionary."
Ahab Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 One of the reviews stated this: "I am very disappointed that there is no topical guide nor is there a Bible Dictionary."Yeah, well, you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.The point, as I see it, is to learn about the things that are taught by those who teach the gospel and any appendage to it.I really like having all those books in my pocket while being able to whip one of them out and read it anytime I have a few minutes.
silvermoon383 Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 I know that on iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, etc) the Church has apps for the scriptures, manuals, conference talks, music, magazines, just about anything the Church has published. I can't imagine them not being available for the the other tablet/smartphone operating systems. Go to your respective app store and look up LDS Library (should be free).
TAO Posted February 13, 2013 Posted February 13, 2013 Oh, yes, the Topical Guide and Bible Dictionary are amazing tools!Bible Dictionary gives you some basic info on the subject, as well as a few particularly important verses.Topical Guide gives you a ton of verses (but not necessarily all) which relate to the subject.They are both located in Study Helps, and I use them all the time =). Also, the references are nice... if you want to see verses about faith in the Book of Mormon, find a verse relating to faith, and trace a reference out to another verse in the Book of Mormon. It's really nice.
Recommended Posts