Problems With S M P T?

Daniel Peterson

I've heard reports that a few people have written to the Society for Mormon Philosophy and Theology (SMPT), even sent money in one or two cases, and have failed to get a reply.

I don't know where those comments have been made, and I don't have time to go looking for them right now.

But I apologize.

Anybody in that position should feel free to drop me a note, at daniel_peterson@byu.edu.

I'm the president of the Society, but, off hand, I can't tell you what happened.

We're a small group, with very little funding and no staff. Our devoted secretary, Ben Huff (a professor of philosophy at Randolph-Macon College in Virginia), handles the business of the Society pretty much on his own time with little or no help from anybody else (including the Society's worthless president). He's wonderful, but I suppose it's possible that he's overlooked or mislaid something.

Write to me, and I'll try to see what might have happened.

I had not heard of SMPT until I received an unsolicited PM coincidentally at the same time as a couple of post about sending them money and receiving no return contact. My suspicions were aroused. Sorry

I had not heard of SMPT until I received an unsolicited PM coincidentally at the same time as a couple of post about sending them money and receiving no return contact. My suspicions were aroused. Sorry

I'm afraid that I don't quite understand. You received an unsolicited PM from SMPT? Was it via this board, or simply an email?

We've never had any program to send out mass emails, or to do e-marketing. We don't even have the personnel to do it. I have no idea where such an email or PM could have come from.

Could you clarify? I'm genuinely perplexed.

Incidentally, feel free to blame it all on me. Over on another board, Chris Smith has pseudonymously posted the following: "A few SMPT members I've spoken to have complained that the current president of the executive committee [which would be yours truly] has basically run the organization into the ground."

It's very likely, of course, that these unspecified anonymous complainers -- I would be surprised if Loyd Ericson (aka "The Narrator," who isn't a member of my fan club) isn't prominent among them -- are correct. But it would be helpful if they could indicate specifically what I've done to accomplish this. And they should probably communicate their findings to the board of the Society, which just voted unanimously (I think) to extend my term as president.

We'll be holding this year's annual SMPT symposium in September. Full announcement and program soon to come.

I'm afraid that I don't quite understand. You received an unsolicited PM from SMPT? Was it via this board, or simply an email?

We've never had any program to send out mass emails, or to do e-marketing. We don't even have the personnel to do it. I have no idea where such an email or PM could have come from.

Could you clarify? I'm genuinely perplexed.

Incidentally, feel free to blame it all on me. Over on another board, Chris Smith has pseudonymously posted the following: "A few SMPT members I've spoken to have complained that the current president of the executive committee [which would be yours truly] has basically run the organization into the ground."

It's very likely, of course, that these unspecified anonymous complainers -- I would be surprised if Loyd Ericson (aka "The Narrator," who isn't a member of my fan club) isn't prominent among them -- are correct. But it would be helpful if they could indicate specifically what I've done to accomplish this. And they should probably communicate their findings to the board of the Society, which just voted unanimously (I think) to extend my term as president.

We'll be holding this year's annual SMPT symposium in September. Full announcement and program soon to come.

It came from a poster named Greg Kofford Books. Wished I had saved it but I just deleted it. It came from this board PM and did mention something about Dan Peterson burning down the building.

Is there some way to retrieve deleted PM's

"Greg Kofford Books" did send me some PMs IIRC, but they were in response to some posts I'd made about books I was interested in and I thought they were totally appropriate. Perhaps he thought you would be interested in the Society due to something he had read of yours?

***I am assuming the burning down the building is a joke. After my totally missing the joke in another thread, I am paranoid.

"Greg Kofford Books" did send me some PMs IIRC, but they were in response to some posts I'd made about books I was interested in and I thought they were totally appropriate. Perhaps he thought you would be interested in the Society due to something he had read of yours?

***I am assuming the burning down the building is a joke. After my totally missing the joke in another thread, I am paranoid.

Could be. I just deleted it and never thought anything of it until the other two said they had not received any correspondence concerning their donations.

It came from a poster named Greg Kofford Books. Wished I had saved it but I just deleted it. It came from this board PM and did mention something about Dan Peterson burning down the building.

Is there some way to retrieve deleted PM's

I'm still not very clear as to what happened -- did "Greg Kofford Books" solicit donations for SMPT from you, or something like that? Are you suggesting that "Greg Kofford Books" might be the one who allegedly told Chris Smith that I was "running [sMPT] into the ground?

Loyd Ericson, who vocally despises me and has gone out of his way on various occasions to publicly insult me, is an editor at Greg Kofford Books. He's also participated actively in SMPT.

I'm still not very clear as to what happened -- did "Greg Kofford Books" solicit donations for SMPT from you, or something like that? Are you suggesting that "Greg Kofford Books" might be the one who allegedly told Chris Smith that I was "running [sMPT] into the ground?

Loyd Ericson, who vocally despises me and has gone out of his way on various occasions to publicly insult me, is an editor at Greg Kofford Books. He's also participated actively in SMPT.

As I have deleted that PM I can't say for sure. It was a bit puzzling to me so I didn't save it.

The Greg Kofford Books account is unable to post here currently. The Message sent to ERayR simply gave him the e-mail addresses for Ben Huff (SMPT Secretary) and Jim McLachlan (Element Editor) and nothing more. There was absolutely no solicitation or mention of money whatsoever.

Okay. Thanks. I have absolutely no idea, then, what happened. We at SMPT have certainly sent out no solicitations.

And, by the way, I've contacted Ben Huff about these two cases. He apologizes, but pleads overwork and lack of time.

It's my responsibility as president, I think, to try to get the organization to the point where we can offer some released time or some other kind of help for our secretary. These complaints make the acuteness of the need more obvious.

I apologize, too.

Archived