Seriously No Politics ×

3 Nephi 1 Lights In The Sky

While studying the Book of Mormon, I became intrigued a little with the prophecy of Samuel the Lamanite concerning the day, night, and day as if it were one day. I have heard good explanations of the signs in 3 Nephi 8 being consistent with volcanism, but is there anything written on what happened with 3 Nephi 1?

I do not think anyone can know what happened except by revelation.

Nibley believed it might have been a supernova. I tend to favor that explanation as well, because a "new star" is associated. However, the brightness is extraordinary.

Another possible explanation (in my mind -- I have never seen it proposed) would be a strong solar flair that lit up ionized gasses in the atmosphere for many hours and across the hemisphere. I do not know the implications of such a tremendous blast of particles though.

Nibley believed it might have been a supernova. I tend to favor that explanation as well, because a "new star" is associated. However, the brightness is extraordinary.
And why wouldn't it have been seen around the world?

While studying the Book of Mormon, I became intrigued a little with the prophecy of Samuel the Lamanite concerning the day, night, and day as if it were one day. I have heard good explanations of the signs in 3 Nephi 8 being consistent with volcanism, but is there anything written on what happened with 3 Nephi 1?

Yes a very good paper has been written on it. I will see if I can find it.

Another possible explanation (in my mind -- I have never seen it proposed) would be a strong solar flair that lit up ionized gasses in the atmosphere for many hours and across the hemisphere. I do not know the implications of such a tremendous blast of particles though.

Or perhaps the glory of heaven shining forth at this glorious event.

First of all, there is no way of knowing what happened until it is revealed to us. Based on our current understanding of how the universe works it seems that a super nova type of event could account for this kind of display. Jerusalem and the new world are on opposite sides of the globe (more or less). The beginning phase of such an event would first appear on one side of the planet and would take several hours before if was apparent to the other side. If the bright beginning phase of the super nova had a duration of 10 hours or so before dimming to become just a bright star you could almost make the connection as to what was reported in 3rd Nephi. I'm not proposing that this is actually what happened. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the problem.

• 1 year later...

Is there any historical evidence (like some Mayan myth, or anything in the mythology or folklore of mesoamerica) that anything like this happened?

i think this is a slippery slope.  i love researching biblical history & i was watching a tv show about 'science of the bible'...or something like that.  i found it interesting when they pointed out an underwater trench via satelite photos in the red sea.  the people interviewed made a convincing argument that the biblical depiction was spiced up for future readers of the bible.  that moses didnt really part the red sea, but that the area the trench was, had been a childhood home of moses & they said that he knew about that unusual anomally & kept it in his back pocket until he needed it.

the next day, during my scripture reading & prayer, i happened to be reading the pogp (if i recall correctly), & within a few verses it specifically stated the moses did actually part the red sea...& it was in plain english right in front of me.  i know it had to be the promptings of the spirit that put that in my path the following morning.

even so, i do believe that there are events in the bible that did not actually happen according to the text, but this particular event with moses was shown to me to be absolutely true through.

i believe the Lord works within the boundaries of mankind at any particular time in history.  so during the time of samuel the lamanite, the people were much more innocent & had a lesser understanding of what we know today. so the Lord could have simply blacked out the sun with a snap of his fingers if he desired while at the same time not revealing his direct intervention.  these days, He must work in a more complicated fashion to cover up his tracks hence the concept of the Lord working in 'mysterious ways'.