Annular Eclipse - Kanarraville, Utah - 5/20/2012

Dan and Debbie Peterson, my wife, daughter, and I had the extraordinary privilege to watch the solar annular eclipse last night from the Big Trees Nursery in Kanarraville, Utah.

We watched in stunned silence as the event unfolded. It was, at the risk of sounding cliche, absolutely surreal!

(I'm trying to identify the photographer of this great shot and will attribute it as soon as I can ...)

2012-Annular-Eclipse.jpg

Photo cropped from an original by Stacey Watts. Original and detailed info available here.

Edited by William Schryver

That is a legit picture...I somehow missed this whole eclipse...sad day.

Edit: Think he's 'banned' the exact same way that it says I'm a Jedi Knight, customized the Member Title....

Edited by Gohan

How can you post when you are banned? Are you a wizard?

I guess they decided to un-ban me. I'd just as soon, all things considered, that they kept with their original decision.

Anyway, here's a great picture of "Cool Dan Loot" after flying his Lear Jet down to Kanarraville to see the total eclipse of the sun:

DanWatchingEclipse.jpg

That's a great pic. I was also in Kanarraville, it was an incredible event, clear as a bell. Here's my offering, or rather offerings, rolled into one.

410987_10150898455549183_621494182_9454741_1773113637_o.jpg

Great shots, Sevenbak! Really. My Canon 5D Mark II went to waste (except on that shot of Dan above :lol:) because I didn't have a solar filter! What equipment were you using?

We all really did just sit there in reverent silence as it unfolded. Well, except for my almost 14-year-old daughter, naturally. It was, by far, the most amazing astronomical sight I have ever observed.*

I want to do it again this weekend. Why can't these things come to your village more than once-in-a-lifetime?

* = Edging out the two dozen or so bright blinking lights flying in perfect formation over an area of 30 - 40 miles, stretching from Parowan to Newcastle, that I and a few other people in Cedar City saw last February, not long after sunset.

Incidentally, total eclipses of the moon and sun, and annular eclipses (which, in my opinion, are equally as stunning as total eclipses--from both a visual and an engineering standpoint) are exceedingly persuasive evidence of the Supreme Creator.

Alma 30:44

... all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator.

Thanks William. I was using a Canon 600mm sports lens, with a small T2i on one end and a 6" solar filter on the other (acquired from the planetarium). It turned out to be a simple but effective combination. Here's a small compressed video clip of complete annularity that shows the transition pretty well. (sped up about 700%)

http://videoutah.com...-720_QT480p.mov

Edited by Sevenbak