Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Evangelicals Have 'Sinned Against Mormons'


Freedom

Recommended Posts

Posted

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/richard-mouw-evangelical-leader-says-engaging-mormonism-isnt-just-about-being-nice/2012/05/14/gIQA6wTMPU_story.html

I have no idea how to create nice clean links using titles rather than having the entire link appear but regardless, this is an interesting article about Richard Mouw, the president of the Fuller Theological Seminary.

They seem to be coming to the realization that there is more to this religion than the misdirection the evangelicals have been feeding everybody. Once they all get passed the deception and see the complexity and ancient roots of mormonism, they may be forced to have a crisis of their own faith.

Posted

I have always felt that on that great day when every knee shall bow there will be this shock from so many people of faith, "THEY are bowing to the same Jesus I worship? How could that be?" Individuals like Mouw are shining examples of what it means to become prepared to kneel down with our brother in faith and worship our God in a unity of faith.

Posted

I have no idea how to create nice clean links using titles rather than having the entire link appear

On the bottom row of icons (starts with the B for bolding icon), the ninth icon is a chain/link with a small circle with a plus in it.

Click on it then input the url and then it should have a title box next....but it doesn't for me when I just tried it. Maybe a glitch with the update.

Posted

On the bottom row of icons (starts with the B for bolding icon), the ninth icon is a chain/link with a small circle with a plus in it.

Click on it then input the url and then it should have a title box next....but it doesn't for me when I just tried it. Maybe a glitch with the update.

ya, I tried that but I have not had the text box appear for months while others have. :sorry:

Posted

It probably helps the accuracy of this article in that it was written by Peggy Fletcher Stack, who is LDS and the religion writer for the SL Tribune. If a writer for Christianity Today magazine would have penned the article, it might have taken a slightly different tack.

Posted

It probably helps the accuracy of this article in that it was written by Peggy Fletcher Stack, who is LDS and the religion writer for the SL Tribune. If a writer for Christianity Today magazine would have penned the article, it might have taken a slightly different tack.

I was surprised when I saw her name on it; she's been quite critical of the Church in the past.

Posted

Excellent article. I've read other articles written by Richard Muow and from what I've read, I've gained lots of respect for him. I hope others follow his example and seek to build bridges, not walls.

Posted

I have been following him for some time as well. I do find it interesting that he openly bases his doctrines on the creeds and Calvinism as if these sources have biblical authority. In fact, for him, they appear to take precedence over the bible. I seem to remember actually asking him about this at some point and getting a response but I cannot find it anywhere. I liked the catholic review as well. This quote stands out:

As a recent convert to Roman Catholicism, I think of both Mormonism and Calvinism as branches on the Christian tree, even though Calvinism, I admit, is closer to the trunk. The Mormon branch extends precariously far away, with countless twisting twigs cluttering its bark, while the Calvinist bough, straight and solid, looks like something I could climb out on without any fear. Nonetheless, I am happy that both of them bear good fruit and, by reaching out to the sun, return ample nourishment to the tree's roots.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...