Seriously No Politics ×

Evangelizing At Lds Sites

What do you think about the evangelizing, done by critics of Mormonism, at various LDS sites, like Manti or the SLC Temple gates?

-Do they have a constitutional right to be there, in your opinion?

-Should they be there? Are they fulfilling the "Great Commission" or, possibly, missing the mark, by turning people off to their message?

-Do you see the evangelizing as a threat to the church?

-Have you ever had an encounter with an evangelist, at one of these locations? If so, how did it go?

If they are polite and respectful of where they are, why not share what their opinions might be, in the positive sense.

My druthers would be for them to show how much more their belief system offers, focusing on their positives, rather than having them tear down other belief systems in order to create an artificial rise in integrity of their own beliefs.

Edited by Jeff K.
What do you think about the evangelizing, done by critics of Mormonism, at various LDS sites, like Manti or the SLC Temple gates?

A constitutional right, yes. A Christian right? I believe they do not.

-Should they be there? Are they fulfilling the "Great Commission" or, possibly, missing the mark, by turning people off to their message?

No. In truth, they cannot. The so-called "great commission" was not given to them, it was given to Apostles (which they are not). Their doing this is just a usurpation of authority (authority most of them do not even belive exists).

Their works, even were we to grant their "good intentions" (and I do not), are so radically unChrist-like that these efforts are a total waste on their part. I'm sure they think they are giving us no excuse for ignorance, but, in fact, they make most of us more committed to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Those who support their "ministries" remind me of the people in the book The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn when the "Dauphin" and the "Count" went to a revival and asked for money to convert the natives in Africa. It's all a scam.

Not in the least.

The only ones to whom it is a threat are those who allow it to be so.

-Have you ever had an encounter with an evangelist, at one of these locations? If so, how did it go?

No, N/A.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

Libs:

Sure they have a right to be there, as long as they are respectful of the rights of others.

They have the right to make a complete A** of themselves in public. The law won't stop them. But I can think of a hundred reasons its not a good idea to.

Should, is a matter of personal taste. Some people have none.

It is gauche.

Yes, they have a Constitutional right to be there (but there are other Constitutional rights of others that might affect their presence or limit their methods).

I do not think God thinks they should be there doing what they are doing.

I think it is a threat to the Church in a sense, as when it approaches the kind of behavior the Constitution protects against and its enforcement is late or remiss.

The one and only time was as a new member in 1976, and it involved sign-holding, pamphlet-passing and carnival barker-like hollering, missing teeth and all.

I think it's a negative way to evangelize, but mostly harmless, and if they are angry or rude, i think it's horribly unChristian.

As long as they are following the laws while there, i think they do.

I think most of them are sincere and believe they are following the 'great commission' but that most of them are to uneducated in actual LDS beliefs to do any good and that most actually harm their cause by acting in unChristlike ways.

Honestly, no.

I've only had them scream at me in passing-didn't make much of a positive impression but i've never stopped to engage any of them personally.

They did have an influence though as stepping from that environment into the calm and serene environment of the LDS conference center completely reinforced my own beliefs that i was where the Spirit was and that i wanted absolutely nothing to do with the people outside because i felt no Spirit with them.

I think it's terribly rude to interrupt a stranger's day to try to convince them their belief system or lack thereof is incorrect.

This applies to the EVs that hang out in front of the temple, and the Missionaries and JWs that knock on my door.

I think it is fine. I think some of the way the do it are not fine and are actually not Christian in their actions.

Yes, even though they may not be Christian in their actions.

-Should they be there?

Sure.

Are they fulfilling the "Great Commission" or, possibly, missing the mark, by turning people off to their message?

I think that most of them hurt their own cause. It is counter productive but they feel it is what the Lord wants them to do.

Actually I think the help us out way more than any damage they think they are doing.

Yes, I have debated several EV's at Manti. It went well but it was a complete waste of time. Neither one was convinced of the other's arguments. It was interesting to hear the contradictory statements made by the different EV's there.

Onc claimed "all you need is faith" another one was a hard core Calvinist and stated "You have no choice in the matter, those that are called will respond, irresistible grace". All in all it was fun.

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

I think they need to find something better to do with their time. Standing on a sidewalk shouting near-obsenities at the passerby is an ineffective proselyting tactic at best, and depending on what they try to say or how they do so, could even descend into illegal (libel, slander, disturbing the peace, things like that).

Technically yes, they do have the right to free speech and gathering, but it can be debated that their attempts to do so is impeding on our right to gather in peace (again, depending on what how they act). Also, it could be claimed that libel and/or slander is being perpetrated, both of which are illegal, along with possible charges of disturbing the peace, and if they really get nasty, I could even go as far as inciting to riot.

I would say that they shouldn't. They may have the right, but it's disrespectful at minimum (especially the screamers). Shouting like they do in no way fulfills the Great Commission as it only drives people against you, not to your side. At best it'll just drive people away from both you and the group you're protesting.

Nah. Despite what the Internet says, I believe people are able to spot them for the idiots they are.

When I went to Salt Lake for Gen. Conference a couple of years ago I got to see them first hand. I didn't do much more that watch, but in one case there was one who tried to follow someone onto Conference Center property. He was quickly chased off by a senior missionary couple and he immediately switched to ranting to them, asking what authority they have to do so. I couldn't help but shout back that US anti-tresspassing laws did so, and that shut him up (at least until he found someone else to hound). The sister in the couple mouthed a thank you to me.

The same weekend I heard one of the protestors scream about how there must be something in the water there in SLC. I leaned to the guy sitting on the bench next to me and I commented that the must be since where I'm from that guy would've been arrested 5 minutes after he first opened his mouth. That got me a pretty good chuckle.

Edited by silvermoon383

I think they are sad people.

Sure.

No, the shouldn't be there. No, they aren't fulling the "Great Commision" as they think. They indeed are missing the mark, and most certainly turning people off from their message.

The very small number these wolves might be able to pick off of the sheep on the edges from these kinds of efforts, is minuscule to the amount of people who are smarter then that and are only hardened and motivated to be against their actions.

The only way such evangelizing would become an actual threat to the Church is if more of the world starts becoming like them, such as the Mobs in the early days of the Church, in which they match violence to the rhetoric. The kind of people you see protesting or whatever LDS events are people who are only one step away to the evils of the past. Their passions and their rhetoric is the same and very close.

Yep. Sometimes I argued, sometimes I discussed, some where worse then others, etc.

The one pattern that fits them all is that they cherry-pick scripture which gives the impression to go against some LDS doctrine or practice (or their representation of such).

Popular ideas they promote are the "God is Unchanging" scriptures, or the "There is no other God before me" scriptures etc. Average LDS don't really know how to answer and deal with "apologetic attacks" against their faith, being most aren't scholars nor intellectuals, thus sometimes, LDS can look dumb, not knowing how to answer and deal with the attack. Inside they know what they know, having learned for themselves right and truth, but they don't have the experience or the immediate words to answer such challenges. Thus, the anti-mormon often thinks he's a "winner", that his target is just dumb sheep. But, he couldn't be more wrong. I was one of those sheep, now I know how and can rebut the claims, and I also have the confidence and experience. Anti's usually are nothing more than "bully's".

I think it's terribly rude to interrupt a stranger's day to try to convince them their belief system or lack thereof is incorrect.

This applies to the EVs that hang out in front of the temple, and the Missionaries and JWs that knock on my door.

I would not agree. I think it's perfectly reasonable to "share" oneself and message. People do this all the time, not simply by going door to do, etc.

When you talk to someone, are they not sharing opinions?

You are always FREE to listen, or not listen.

What is actually "rude" is pushiness, overbearingness, etc.

People interrupt your day all the time for all kinds of things and words said, and you are not so "offended" by such.

So let's be real about it..... What really is the problem is that you simply do not wish to hear anything said about the "message", even the just asking if you are interested.

The problem here is your own religious intolerance, not that people "interrupt" you.

JW's can sometimes be a little pushy, and especially Ev's on the street or the ones you come across. But, mormons generally just kindly introduce themselves, and then move on.

Further, since when do LDS Missionary's try to convince people that whatever is "incorrect"? Those who freely choose to listen and participate are only shared what LDS believe, and then possibly as an aside there might be some mention of whatever being incorrect.

For the most part, I think the evangelism done by our fundamentalist Protestant critics is a waste of time. I also believe that engaging in extended discussions with any individual who fails to readjust their views in light of mounds of historical research and insists on ripping GA quotes out of context time and time again, as well as illegally publishing copyrighted information would be unfruitful.

I believe that if the street screechers have obtained a permit to legally assemble, they have the constitutional right to speak to whomever they would like. Ethically...it's a different story.

I do not believe Matt Slick, Bill McKeever, Aaron Shafovaloff, Paul Missel, Rocky Hulse, Sandra Tanner, or Reuben Israel are fulfilling the "Great Commission," in light of Exodus 20:16.

I don't see evangelical Protestant fundamentalism as a threat to the Church, only to the credibility of sincere, hard-working, and honest Christians who are sometimes characterized by the extremism of their fellow church-goers.

I have had an encounter, which I have shared here before.

Tell the Mormon Missionaries not to disturb you and they won't for the most part. They don't want to waste their time and the plurality of them hate door to door stuff anyway.

Ask the Jehovahs Witness to pray with you about the truth of your respective church and they will leave quickly in my experience.

I once bore testimony about my belief in the living and knowable Jesus Christ of the Bible to two Baptist missionaries (they were doing the LDS thing here in Atlanta) and when i was done they knew I knew Jesus Christ as opposed to what they were taught in Sunday School.

I confronted a guy once outside of the Nauvoo pageant (20 years ago) He was carrying a book of Mormon and imitating a missionary only to spring his real intent on passers by as they parked their cars. I asked him why he was doing this but he went on auto pilot telling me his prepared script for why the Saints were a false religion, etc. I could see a confrontation would be fruitless and embarass my visiting parents so I disengaged.

Very much appreciate all of the responses, so far! Thank you.

I know several people who participate in this kind of evangelizing and it is my contention that it's not very worth while, and may even do more harm than good. When I was active LDS, I had a very negative view of this kind of "evangelizing", so just wondered what other LDS thought about it.

I don't think a lot of what is presented at these events, is necessarily a bad thing. There are many good and interesting issues to discuss, as far as differences between the religions, but I don't think standing and hollering, at LDS religious events, is a very good way to present those issues.

For the most part, I think the evangelism done by our fundamentalist Protestant critics is a waste of time. I also believe that engaging in extended discussions with any individual who fails to readjust their views in light of mounds of historical research and insists on ripping GA quotes out of context time and time again, as well as illegally publishing copyrighted information would be unfruitful.

I believe that if the street screechers have obtained a permit to legally assemble, they have the constitutional right to speak to whomever they would like. Ethically...it's a different story.

I do not believe Matt Slick, Bill McKeever, Aaron Shafovaloff, Paul Missel, Rocky Hulse, Sandra Tanner, or Reuben Israel are fulfilling the "Great Commission," in light of Exodus 20:16.

I don't see evangelical Protestant fundamentalism as a threat to the Church, only to the credibility of sincere, hard-working, and honest Christians who are sometimes characterized by the extremism of their fellow church-goers.

I have had an encounter, which I have shared here before.

I hope everything is okay with you and your mother-in-law, now. :) (Thanks for sharing your story)

I have invited sincere evangelicals in my home with the proviso that they only tell us positive things about God, and we would do the same. It is amazing how the love of Christ can be felt. In the end one preacher told me "I hope you understand and convert to my church one day".

I replied "With your wonderful spirit, if I do find myself lost, I will look for you".

He was pleased with the answer, and thought well of me and my family. No arguments, we understood where we were in each others world, but we respected the love of Christ between us.

Edited by Jeff K.

I find it totally off-putting and tasteless.

Do they have a constitutional right to be there, in your opinion?

I would say yes – as long as they keep off of private, church-owned property.

Should they be there? Are they fulfilling the "Great Commission" or, possibly, missing the mark, by turning people off to their message?

I think they are wasting their time. It seems to me like a lot of people already have their minds made up about Mormonism either way, and as such evangelizing (i.e. holding up homemade cardboard signs and shouting) won’t do much to persuade anybody.

I certainly don’t think they are converting any Mormons by doing what they are doing. If I was them and I really wanted to convert a Mormon, I would be kind and gentle and not loud and obnoxious.

Do you see the evangelizing as a threat to the church?

Spreading around misinformation never does anybody any good, but in the grand scheme of things I don’t see it as a threat to the Church. The Church will move on as it has before.

Have you ever had an encounter with an evangelist, at one of these locations? If so, how did it go?

Yes – at a session of General Conference in SLC. The best thing to do (and about the only thing you can do) is to just ignore them. I certainly wouldn’t try to engage with any of them in a conversation. I have seen Temple Square sister missionaries sing hymns to drown out the noise of the protesters.

What I would really like to see happen is to have them sit quietly and watch a session of General Conference. And make a note of how many of the talks center around Christ and in encouraging everyone to live a better life.

Tell the Mormon Missionaries not to disturb you and they won't for the most part. They don't want to waste their time and the plurality of them hate door to door stuff anyway.

I feel bad for the LDS Missionaries. This part must be an awful duty. In the past most don't return when I asked them not to, but a few of them did after repeated requests and would knock at the door for several minutes.

One thing I used to get mad about was the church kept sending over people with invites to to singles ward functions to my non-active wife even though we had been married for years. I had the same conversation with two sets of couples at least three times each.

Ask the Jehovahs Witness to pray with you about the truth of your respective church and they will leave quickly in my experience.

I usually just ask them if Prince is with them.

I once bore testimony about my belief in the living and knowable Jesus Christ of the Bible to two Baptist missionaries (they were doing the LDS thing here in Atlanta) and when i was done they knew I knew Jesus Christ as opposed to what they were taught in Sunday School.

I confronted a guy once outside of the Nauvoo pageant (20 years ago) He was carrying a book of Mormon and imitating a missionary only to spring his real intent on passers by as they parked their cars. I asked him why he was doing this but he went on auto pilot telling me his prepared script for why the Saints were a false religion, etc. I could see a confrontation would be fruitless and embarass my visiting parents so I disengaged.

Sounds like these guys were asking for it!

Edited by Expositor
DaddyG, on 30 June 2011 - 03:05 PM, said:

I usually just ask them if Prince is with them.

Michael Jackson doesn't work anymore....

Though we could offer a trade, Donny for Prince?

I would not agree. I think it's perfectly reasonable to "share" oneself and message. People do this all the time, not simply by going door to do, etc. When you talk to someone, are they not sharing opinions?

In the course of regular invited conversation, sure. That's basic nature and a great part of being human. But knocking on someone's door unannounced to push whatever product is being pushed is plain rude. I'm not singling out the LDS Missionaries here. I'm a big fan of Heinz 57 Ketchup, but I don't go around my neighborhood disturbing my neighbors to tell them how great it is.

You are always FREE to listen, or not listen.

And they are FREE to not knock on my door. I have a No Solicitation sign up, that applies to Goods and Gods. Is it that unreasonable to expect to be left alone in the privacy of one's own home?

What is actually "rude" is pushiness, overbearingness, etc.

People interrupt your day all the time for all kinds of things and words said, and you are not so "offended" by such.

So let's be real about it..... What really is the problem is that you simply do not wish to hear anything said about the "message", even the just asking if you are interested.

The problem here is your own religious intolerance, not that people "interrupt" you.

I don't care about the message. I just don't want to be disturbed. If Richard Dawkins knocked on my door to extoll the vitues of Atheism I'd think he was being rude too.

JW's can sometimes be a little pushy, and especially Ev's on the street or the ones you come across. But, mormons generally just kindly introduce themselves, and then move on.

Further, since when do LDS Missionary's try to convince people that whatever is "incorrect"? Those who freely choose to listen and participate are only shared what LDS believe, and then possibly as an aside there might be some mention of whatever being incorrect.

I'm not saying that the conversation with anyone listed above is inherently unpleasant. I'm saying that knocking on someone's door to share your opinion with a total stranger without any sort of invite is a rude activity in and of itself. Even Vampires need an invite!

As to the word "incorrect". LDS Missionaries are hoping to convert people to a lifestyle and belief system they believe is correct in the eyes of "God". By nature, a lifestyle outside of that paradigm is incorrect in the eyes of "God".

Yep, they have a right to be tehre.

I dunno. There are many protestors, with many different reasons for being there. I don't understand their logic behind who's 'saved' and who's 'not', so yah, I can't really say tbh. =/

Nope. Atheism and agnosticism, yeah, but evangelizing not quite as much. It is a threat, but it isn't as major as the others, so to say.

Haven't done so, sorry. I did run into a group protesting at Angel's Stadium though =). Which I thought was weird, but I guess a lot of people go to it. Doesn't relate to the church much though.

Haven't done so, sorry. I did run into a group protesting at Angel's Stadium though =). Which I thought was weird, but I guess a lot of people go to it. Doesn't relate to the church much though.

Protesting the LDS Church at Angel Stadium? Was it during a baseball game or some other event there? Interesting. Never heard of that.