Stats Since Format Change

Nemesis

Since we have changed format our stats have gone up and we attribute our success to the posters on this board. Thank you for your cooperation of making this place one of the largest LDS forums on the net and making it one of the mostunique message board dedicated to LDS issues.

Topic Views (1 January 2011 to 7 June 2011) Count

General Discussions --------------------------------- 750484

In The News --------------------------------------------- 105913

Social Hall --------------------------------------------- 65909

Miscellaneous ---------------------------------------- 5040

Mormon Scholars Testify ----------------------------- 4675

Focused Discussions ------------------------------- 3198

FAIR Blog ------------------------------------------------- 1691

Monthly New Topic Statistics (1 January 2011 to 7 June 2011)

Date Count

June 2011 ---------- 56

May 2011 ---------- 312

April 2011 ---------- 320

March 2011 --------- 419

February 2011 ------- 286

January 2011 --------- 315

Monthly Post Statistics (1 January 2011 to 7 June 2011)

Date Count

June 2011 ------------ 1850

May 2011 ------------ 10411

April 2011 ------------ 9723

March 2011 ----------- 13571

February 2011 -------- 9707

January 2011 --------- 8963

The last post in the "miscellaneous" archive is dated 6 Jan. 2011. So it appears that these stats only contain 6 days of data from the old format and they are not tallied separately from the data under the new format. In order to judge whether the stats have indeed gone up, we need 2010 data for comparison.

The last post in the "miscellaneous" archive is dated 6 Jan. 2011. So it appears that these stats only contain 6 days of data from the old format and they are not tallied separately from the data under the new format. In order to judge whether the stats have indeed gone up, we need 2010 data for comparison.

Do you really think 6 days makes a difference? Just look at June it has 7 days of data if you would like just minus it out if you are so worried about it. Anyways these stats are not for the members of shades boards who have been predicting this boards demise since 2006.

Nemesis

Since we have changed format our stats have gone up

In order to evaluate this claim, we need to see data both before and after the change. For example, how does March 2011 compare to March 2010? And how do the last five months before the change compare to the first five months after the change? Thus far, you've only presented the "after" data.

Besides... these numbers have to do with discussion quantity, not quality. Seems pretty obvious to me that discussion quality has significantly declined due to lop-sided trigger-happy moderation.

I wonder why people keep coming back even after they have been banned and asked for privileges restored? I know why its the only place critics can mix with LDS on a somewhat civil level where exchanges can happen. All other boards its all or nothing and you know that.

Nemesis

Besides... these numbers have to do with discussion quantity, not quality. Seems pretty obvious to me that discussion quality has significantly declined due to lop-sided trigger-happy moderation.

From the board guidelines:

Be respectful of the moderators. We don't expect you to agree with our decisions, but we do expect to be respected for the work we put into this board. Do not start threads to criticize moderators, complain about thread closures, or backtalk when we intervene.

We will never be able to make both sides 100% happy.

Skylla

I didn't "start a thread" to criticize the Moderators. I posted an observation about the decline of this board (being largely due to poor moderation decisions) in a thread that a Moderator had started. And I did so respectully. I appreciate the hard work that Moderators have done to keep this forum running. But I appreciate much more the hard work moderators were doing years ago, before the forum's major decline. Seeing the direction this forum is going (especially recently) dissapoints me.

I didn't "start a thread" to criticize the Moderators. I posted an observation about the decline of this board (being largely due to poor moderation decisions) in a thread that a Moderator had started. And I did so respectully. I appreciate the hard work that Moderators have done to keep this forum running. But I appreciate much more the hard work moderators were doing years ago, before the forum's major decline. Seeing the direction this forum is going (especially recently) dissapoints me.

Mike I think Skylla was pointing this out more than the rest of the guideline section was this, "We don't expect you to agree with our decisions." Basically because we know we won't be able to cater to everyone and keep everyone happy. The major decline is all in the heads of the critics, whose friends are no longer among us. We had no control over their behavior all we have control over is the culture of this board and keeping to the vision that if you want to talk to have a discussion here with LDS you are always welcome here if you stay within the parameters of good discussion. Contrary to belief it's not us that come to the board with an attitude, but we are partial to one side and that is obvious.

Nemesis

Having finally visited another board and looked at what they were saying about posters here, myself included, I have to say this board has much higher standards and I appreciate it. Rather than hateful diatribes, misquoting, misinterpreting and even claiming statements not made by the individuals named, this board encourages discussion of the topics and not of personalities. I suppose when one can't intelligently discuss something they have to resort to character assassination and mocking. Let them have their "fun."

At lease we can have a place to actually discuss issues, agree and disagree, hopefully with civility, and maybe learn something new.

Mike I wouldn't exactly use the word "Decline" myself. I have only been a member a short time, but I did a tremendous amount of reading/studying before the board changed it's name and direction. I find the difference is the member's themselves. I found in reading and studying the threads that the best and more interesting and controversial members were banned, and in reading their final threads/posts was at a wits end to understand why. Those members continually brought exciting threads and posts, now when I come in here I just usually see the same posters/members who are chronically in here day after day, hour after hour. I wish I had been a member back when there were more interesting members and topics discussed.

Mike I wouldn't exactly use the word "Decline" myself. I have only been a member a short time, but I did a tremendous amount of reading/studying before the board changed it's name and direction. I find the difference is the member's themselves. I found in reading and studying the threads that the best and more interesting and controversial members were banned, and in reading their final threads/posts was at a wits end to understand why. Those members continually brought exciting threads and posts, now when I come in here I just usually see the same posters/members who are chronically in here day after day, hour after hour. I wish I had been a member back when there were more interesting members and topics discussed.

That would have been about 6 yrs ago when things were still somewhat fresh and the topics being discussed/arguments for both sides were still being worked out. Now its the same tired old yes it is, no it isn't stuff we have seen for years. Can't really blame that on the board evolution which has been evolving to cater to a particular audience and what interests them throughout our entire existence. Things are different and I hope changes keep getting made for the better of everyone here. You should really give the focused discussion section a try, two pretty exciting topics in there and 1 that had the potential for greatness which I hope picks up again.

Nemesis

You should really give the focused discussion section a try, two pretty exciting topics in there and 1 that had the potential for greatness which I hope picks up again.

Personally... I think the focused section is a waste of time, so long at thread starters (such as Bill Hamblin) are allowed to arbitrarily delete "off topic" posts without explaining how they are off topic. It also seems counterproductive to allow them to be above forum rules, and dishonor CFRs, for example.

Personally... I think the focused section is a waste of time, so long at thread starters (such as Bill Hamblin) are allowed to arbitrarily delete "off topic" posts without explaining how they are off topic. It also seems counterproductive to allow them to be above forum rules, and dishonor CFRs, for example.

So what you are saying here is we gave the posters of this board control over threads in a section where we do not get involved but it's still a board moderation policy issue for you? Funny how can we win? Obviously some people get it since the one topic going on right now is rather interesting and enjoyable. I'd like to see some of your more interesting thoughts in there but it might just be a waste of time after all.

Nemesis

Archived