My favorite quote (so far) from general conference

Scott Lloyd

I was so busy this past weekend covering general conference that I missed most of it. If that sounds ironic, it's because it is meant to.

Anyway, reading the Church News proofs today, I came across what, for now, is my favorite quote of the conference. It's from Elder Jeffery R. Holland:

Clearly, anyone who thinks Jesus taught no-fault theology didn't read the fine print in the contract.

Classic. And sig-worthy.

I was so busy this past weekend covering general conference that I missed most of it. If that sounds ironic, it's because it is meant to.

Anyway, reading the Church News proofs today, I came across what, for now, is my favorite quote of the conference. It's from Elder Jeffery R. Holland:

Classic. And sig-worthy.

What does he mean by that? I am bit dense these days!

I think it speaks to the prophecies in 2 Nephi 28:78, but I've yet to hear or read the talk itself.

Add on: Here's a link to the Church News article, already online.

And here's a contextual rendering of the quote:

Elder Holland referenced Christ's Sermon on the Mount, where the Savior began by pronouncing gentle blessings before transitioning to the challenges demanded of true discipleship, ending with the "knee-buckling" declaration, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

"Clearly anyone who thinks Jesus taught no-fault theology didn't read the fine print in the contract! No, in matters of discipleship the Church is not a fast-food outlet; we can't always have it 'our way.' Some day every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is the Christ and that salvation can only come His way.

I think he's referring to mainstream Christianity's idea that all you have to do to be saved is accept Jesus. In other words, faith without works.

I loved when Elder Holland talked about having a house full of bedlamites. :P

That certainly fits my house now with 7 grandkids living here, from ages 2 to 18.

Archived