Moroni, the 'Guardian Angel of America'

Sevenbak

Orson Hyde, President of the Quorum of the 12 for nearly 30 years, and who dedicated Jerusalem to the gathering of Israel, gave a talk where he spoke of the miracles of winning the Revolutionary war, and goes on to say it was because of the guidance of Moroni, the "Guardian Angel of America". I'll quote it here following, but I think it's very interesting, that he speaks of Moroni letting us alone for a time, to reap the judgements of God, then coming back and helping us to save what we have turned our country into. Thoughts?

...yet our arms were successful; and it may not be amiss to ask here, by whose power victory so often perched on our banner? It was by the agency of that same angel of God that appeared unto Joseph Smith, and revealed to him the history of the early inhabitants of this country, whose mounds, bones and remains of towns, cities and fortifications speak from the dust in the ears of the living with the voice of undeniable truth. This same angel presides over the destinies of America, and feels a lively interest in all our doings. He was in the camp of Washington; and, by an invisible hand, led on our fathers to conquest and victory; and all this to open and prepare the way for the Church and kingdom of God to be established on the western hemisphere, for the redemption of Israel and the salvation of the world.

This same angel was with Columbus, and gave him deep impressions, by dreams and by visions, respecting this New World. Trammelled by poverty and by an unpopular cause, yet his persevering and unyielding heart would not allow an obstacle in his way too great for him to overcome; and the angel of God helped him

I'll add this reference from D&C 133 as well, as it seems to fit very well with Orson's statement.

36 And now, verily saith the Lord, that these things might be known among you, O inhabitants of the earth, I have sent forth mine angel flying through the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel, who hath appeared unto some and hath committed it unto man, who shall appear unto many that dwell on the earth.

When Justice is satisfied, and the blood of martyrs atoned for

Long shall his blood,

Which was shed by assassins,

Stain Illinois,

While the earth lauds his fame...

UD

This whole premise kind of reminds me of the 3 Nephite lore.

Now there are 4. :P

Sad about those three -- seeing their wives die of old

age, and having to go on living until the Second Coming.

They must be tired by now -- and frustrated, in having

the priesthood and being commissioned to baptize, but

having none of their efforts recorded in Salt Lake City.

Had Moroni taken the trouble to find a wife, before the

great battle, he might have had an eternal family. But,

poor fellow, he's restricted to being a ministering angel

from now unto eternity.

Warning to RMs ---> don't wait too long; you could die unmarried.

UD

It appears that Mr. Hyde would not be a big fan of the limited geography theory, or the limited population theory...

"... the history of the early inhabitants of this country, whose mounds, bones... speak from the dust..."

Also, I wonder why it was necessary to cause the Americas to be repopulated by white Europeans, who wiped out most of the native population with their diseases and guns? I suppose these continents could not reach their potential with the original inhabitants. That must have required white people.

article

Throughout all of this, George Washington was riding on horseback. He was carrying the messages from General Braddock to the rest of the troops. During the battle, he had two horses shot out from under him, but he remained unscathed. During the battle, every other officer on horseback was killed, and only 30 soldiers lived.

Bulletproof?

As details of the battle emerged, it turns out that either George Washington was extremely lucky, was bulletproof, or was being supernaturally protected. One Indian warrior testified that he had shot at him 17 times. He exclaimed that "Washington was never born to be killed by a bullet!" Another Indian, Red Hawk, had shot and missed him 11 times. He had not missed a shot before, and became convinced that Washington was being supernaturally protected by the Great Spirit. In 1770, fifteen years after the battle, an old Indian told Washington that he had sought out to meet him. He had been fighting in the battle that day, and he had told all the Indians with him to shoot at him, and make sure that he died. When they all missed, he told them to stop. On that evening, he predicted that Washington would never die in battle, and would be "the founder of a mighty empire."

Sources:

Barton, David. "The Bulletproof George Washington." (Aledo, TX: Wallbuilder Press)

"Monongahela River." Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monongahela_River

It appears that Mr. Hyde would not be a big fan of the limited geography theory, or the limited population theory...

Well, since the LGT theory didn't even come on the scene until the mid 1950's, then I doubt one could find anyone who was a fan. I don't know of any leaders today who hold such a view. A few 'scholars' do.

Also, I wonder why it was necessary to cause the Americas to be repopulated by white Europeans, who wiped out most of the native population with their diseases and guns? I suppose these continents could not reach their potential with the original inhabitants. That must have required white people.

1 Nephi 13:14

Orson Hyde, President of the Quorum of the 12 for nearly 30 years, and who dedicated Jerusalem to the gathering of Israel, gave a talk where he spoke of the miracles of winning the Revolutionary war, and goes on to say it was because of the guidance of Moroni, the "Guardian Angel of America". I'll quote it here following, but I think it's very interesting, that he speaks of Moroni letting us alone for a time, to reap the judgements of God, then coming back and helping us to save what we have turned our country into. Thoughts?

...yet our arms were successful; and it may not be amiss to ask here, by whose power victory so often perched on our banner? It was by the agency of that same angel of God that appeared unto Joseph Smith, and revealed to him the history of the early inhabitants of this country, whose mounds, bones and remains of towns, cities and fortifications speak from the dust in the ears of the living with the voice of undeniable truth. This same angel presides over the destinies of America, and feels a lively interest in all our doings. He was in the camp of Washington; and, by an invisible hand, led on our fathers to conquest and victory; and all this to open and prepare the way for the Church and kingdom of God to be established on the western hemisphere, for the redemption of Israel and the salvation of the world.

This same angel was with Columbus, and gave him deep impressions, by dreams and by visions, respecting this New World. Trammelled by poverty and by an unpopular cause, yet his persevering and unyielding heart would not allow an obstacle in his way too great for him to overcome; and the angel of God helped him

article

Throughout all of this, George Washington was riding on horseback. He was carrying the messages from General Braddock to the rest of the troops. During the battle, he had two horses shot out from under him, but he remained unscathed. During the battle, every other officer on horseback was killed, and only 30 soldiers lived.

Bulletproof?

As details of the battle emerged, it turns out that either George Washington was extremely lucky, was bulletproof, or was being supernaturally protected. One Indian warrior testified that he had shot at him 17 times. He exclaimed that "Washington was never born to be killed by a bullet!" Another Indian, Red Hawk, had shot and missed him 11 times. He had not missed a shot before, and became convinced that Washington was being supernaturally protected by the Great Spirit. In 1770, fifteen years after the battle, an old Indian told Washington that he had sought out to meet him. He had been fighting in the battle that day, and he had told all the Indians with him to shoot at him, and make sure that he died. When they all missed, he told them to stop. On that evening, he predicted that Washington would never die in battle, and would be "the founder of a mighty empire."

Sources:

Barton, David. "The Bulletproof George Washington." (Aledo, TX: Wallbuilder Press)

"Monongahela River." Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monongahela_River

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. It sounds a lot like Samuel the Lamanite.

The "guardian angel of America" must have hated the Native Americans and the hundreds of thousands of innocents killed by the Spanish conquerors. One should ask the question, who did this angel protect, then?

Seriously, what a cheap portrait of romanticizing violent bigotry we have in this excerpt.

2 Nephi 1:

10 But behold, when the time cometh that they shall dwindle in unbelief, after they have received so great blessings from the hand of the Lord

The "guardian angel of America" must have hated the Native Americans and the hundreds of thousands of innocents killed by the Spanish conquerors. One should ask the question, who did this angel protect, then?

Seriously, what a cheap portrait of romanticizing violent bigotry we have in this excerpt.

Well, for a sample of how this was done in other lands, I suggest you read Exodus in the Bible. In this case, you could say that the God of Israel must have hated the Canaanites. Granted, the Israelites were His chosen people, surely the Lord loved the Canaanites, too? Didn't help them, apparently.

It appears that sometimes God causes the deaths of many people in order to further His righteous purposes. Seriously, elguanteloko, haven't read the scriptures? Full of blood, violence and pestilence, explicitly visited on people who had lost God's favor -- and were apparently standing in the way of progress, in a sense. I think He knows something more than you about the whole matter and every detail thereupon apertaining. Isaiah 55:8,9.

Orson's statements are based on a completely ignorant and naive historical worldview that is very easily put into question. I am actually doing you a favor by helping your God not look like a belligerent warlord against human values. I prefer to tread on the concept of Moroni first rather than on the concept of a good God. Somewhat of a 'damage control' technique, if you will.

You are doing no such favor.

God is not bound by man's political correctness. His judgements are just, even if we don't understand them.

article

Bulletproof?

Sources:

"Monongahela River." Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia....nongahela_River

OK, I love a faith-promoting rumor just as much as the next guy, but given that all kinds of "hero" stories have been told about Washington, including the Valley Forge Prayer (which may be an invention). This sounds just like it. Is there any documentary evidence that these Indians reported what they are alleged to have reported?

amm... if you don't understand them, how can you say His judgements are just in the first place?

Heck, I don't understand the Universe, yet I trust it has a purpose. Perhaps "faith" would be a better word?

As to who the Protector of America was protecting, well, it was the futurity of the United States of America.

Archived